ssi and marriage?

deafbajagal <----------- deaf and a taxpayer. I pay so much in taxes that it makes my nose bleed.

Many deaf people who received SSI or SSDI and worked for like less than 900 bucks a month were often caught by the IRS because the IRS and SSA decided to crossmatched SSN years ago. Some deaf people owed the federal government 15,000 dollars or less. Get a job. If you're on SSI or SSDI and "retired at 65 or 67, you will be disadvantaged compared to retired deaf people who worked their asses off providing you a nice house from our tax dollars.

answer to your question

check

Social Security Online - The Official Website of the U.S. Social Security Administration

Medicare <---- http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10043.html

medicaid <---- http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/medicaid.htm

medicare is for only people reach age 65 or any disabled person who recevies disablity benefit, waiting within 24 months to receive medicare.

Medicaid is for anyone who have low income or low resource in order to get medicaid or anyone who have ssi, tend to have medicaid.

you all can find more information from this Social Security Online - The Official Website of the U.S. Social Security Administration it says pretty much cover it.

Once we got married, our SSI has been reduced but the SSA still stay same without any penalty... That's really SUCKS to having our SSI reduced...... We both get 522.00 each per month plus my SSA 500.00 and still not enough to get by each monthly after paid rent, utilities, car insurance, food and others...... SIGH!!!!!!

I still hope anyone who recevies ss benefit and still work part time following the rules in order to get off from SSI and stick with SS disability benefit that way they work and pay ss taxes.
SSI benefit is good for anyone who really can't be able to do function the job which is understandable. those disabled people do rely on SSI for good reasons for such as buying equipments to do function for living.

It may feel like a penalty when SSI reduced from spouses earnings. But the intent of SSI is supplemental income to basically keep you alive and relatively comfortable at a minimum cost. It is not a pension or such. It is more like welfare...low cost. When your spouse works....you begin to get your SSI reduced after about $650 dollars of spouses earnings per month. Like a dollar per dollar after $650. So if she/he makes $950 take home for that month your SSI might be reduced 300. Somewhere in that area.
It really is like a penalty if raising kids. But get tax returns per child for working parent credit. It is a bit tight money and spouse can become resentful. And disagreements of monies.
If both on SSI and living tofether I believe both reduced some. But now the inbalanced income not there.

To keep you alive? That's a joke! Unless a person is getting food stamps, housing assistance, living in the cold with no heat in the house, etc.. no one could possibly make it on ssi. Oh, and you are aware that the poverty line starts at $10,400 which is well above what ssi benefits total each year.

Once we got married, our SSI has been reduced but the SSA still stay same without any penalty... That's really SUCKS to having our SSI reduced...... We both get 522.00 each per month plus my SSA 500.00 and still not enough to get by each monthly after paid rent, utilities, car insurance, food and others...... SIGH!!!!!!

How do you get $500.00 in ssa? I get like only $300.00 or something. What's the deal?

To keep you alive? That's a joke! Unless a person is getting food stamps, housing assistance, living in the cold with no heat in the house, etc.. no one could possibly make it on ssi. Oh, and you are aware that the poverty line starts at $10,400 which is well above what ssi benefits total each year.

Hence what SSI stands for. Supplemental Security Income. It is intended to supplement earnings, not replace them.

Hence what SSI stands for. Supplemental Security Income. It is intended to supplement earnings, not replace them.

Which is backwards logic. People get ssi because they have a disability which prevents them from working or in some cases a disability which qualifies them to receive social security. It does not do a very good job of supplementing income gained from work, for those who are able to work and still receive social security. There is a huge penalty for working, even worse then the marriage penalty. You are permitted to make only so much working and if you make more your benefits, in some cases, get eliminated all together. There is also a reduction in benefits when you do work and do not make more then what is permitted. In most cases, the two combined total less then what one would receive if they did not work and just continued to receive their benefits.

Which is backwards logic. People get ssi because they have a disability which prevents them from working or in some cases a disability which qualifies them to receive social security. It does not do a very good job of supplementing income gained from work, for those who are able to work and still receive social security. There is a huge penalty for working, even worse then the marriage penalty. You are permitted to make only so much working and if you make more your benefits, in some cases, get eliminated all together. There is also a reduction in benefits when you do work and do not make more then what is permitted. In most cases, the two combined total less then what one would receive if they did not work and just continued to receive their benefits.

If they have a disability which prevents them from working at all, they are eligible to apply for Social Security Disability Income.

And, yes, if your income exceeds your benefit amount, then your benefits will no doubt be reduced or eliminated. Again, hence the term Supplemental. The idea is to assist people in becoming self sufficient.

If they have a disability which prevents them from working at all, they are eligible to apply for Social Security Disability Income.

And, yes, if your income exceeds your benefit amount, then your benefits will no doubt be reduced or eliminated. Again, hence the term Supplemental. The idea is to assist people in becoming self sufficient.

If you want to discuss the word "supplement" and its meaning then you are not totally correct on that either.

Supplement does not mean "to assist". The word "assist" is not even a Synonym for supplement. Supplement means, "to complete, add to, or extend".

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/supplement

Work income does not need to exceed a person's "benefit amount" for a person's benefits to be "reduced or eliminated".

Yes. I know what it is.

I'm sure you do, but the description for what ssdi is, the description I gave, shows your statements about eligibility are very misleading. There are more eligibility requirements then just having a disability that prevents one from working.

I'm sure you do, but the description for what ssdi is, the description I gave, shows your statements about eligibility are very misleading. There are more eligibility requirements then just having a disability that prevents one from working.

Of course their are. That is not the point I was making.

Work income does not need to exceed a person's "benefit amount" for a person's benefits to be "reduced or eliminated".

No it doesn't, but since you referred to it that way, that is also the way I responded.

No it doesn't, but since you referred to it that way, that is also the way I responded.

I originally stated, "permitted to make". The government has set limits on what one can make working while still recieving ssi/ssa.

Back