ssi and marriage?

question

hi i googled this topic. i have a disbility and was recieving SSD through my mother who is my gaurdian still. but since i got married i will be losing my SSD, but ill be switching over to SSI due to my problem. my wife doesnt work as of yet and still needs to get her g.e.d. does her not having any income increase my SSI funds since we're married? this whole things is confusing to me because i dont understand economics like others do. i figured id make an account here and ask you guys (and gals) since everyone seems to know alot about this kind of topic. any information would be greatly appreciated. thank you

hi i googled this topic. i have a disbility and was recieving SSD through my mother who is my gaurdian still. but since i got married i will be losing my SSD, but ill be switching over to SSI due to my problem. my wife doesnt work as of yet and still needs to get her g.e.d. does her not having any income increase my SSI funds since we're married? this whole things is confusing to me because i dont understand economics like others do. i figured id make an account here and ask you guys (and gals) since everyone seems to know alot about this kind of topic. any information would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Here is something I found. The figures, numbers, are a bit outdated, everything else is still the same though.

If one of the spouses is eligible for SSI, and the other is not, the income of the ineligible spouse is counted as available to the eligible spouse. This is called "deeming." Social Security calculates the part of the working spouse’s income that is deemed to the recipient spouse according to a specific formula. If the spouse’s earned income is more than $639, it may reduce the SSI recipient’s benefits or cause the recipient’s benefits to stop altogether (2003 levels). This may disqualify the recipient from Medicaid, which may be a financial disaster if the recipient has no other health insurance.

Marriage and Public Benefits-Chapter 8

Back