Sound and Fury, Parts 1 and 2

wow, thank you for link... I will go back and look my thread and make post there.... Thank you again :thumb:

It could be that Cloggy had DVD is Region 0 ! (Region free). I will check my DVD either they are Region free or not.
European DVD players can often play NTSC (US/Canada/Japan) discs. However, CC or subtitle support isn't guaranteed to work.

CC is provided by American TV's, and subtitles are provided by the player. If it uses CC or subtitles, you probably won't see it on your TV if you're in Europe. As you said, your TV uses some other method of captioning.

Cloggy was using an American disc on his player, according to his earlier post.

Hope this helps...

I watched this movie in my ASL class then i chose to buy it and watch it for about a week straight so my opinion on the movie and CI's would not be biased, because i am a hearing person i believe my approach on this subject could be somewhat different than those of a deaf person.

anyways, my belief on CI's is that everybody in there particular group have there own culture and values that they cherish. So as a hearing person watching this i had to put those aside and try to come from a deaf person's perspective on this subject. CI's are not a bad device at all if you are completly unaware of the deaf culture because then you have no background information to go on just what the doctors tell you. (and most of the time the doctors tell the parents their personal opinion not letting the parents get a full range of information) in caontrast to that i also believe that because you may have some information on the deaf culture it makes you decision a whole lot harder because once you make you rfinal decision you are almost trading one life to live another. (which could be completly different than the one you are used to)

if iwas the person questioning the CI's (knowing what i know now) i would choose not to get the CI.

Where did you hear that the doctors only give you partial and biased info? Is this based on personal, first hand experience? If so, you need to get a different doctor. My experiences (and many, many other parents of deaf children) is very different. I/we were flooded with info, then told to take our time, do research and to make your own INFORMED decision that will best benifit your families needs/wants.

Where did you hear that the doctors only give you partial and biased info? Is this based on personal, first hand experience? If so, you need to get a different doctor. My experiences (and many, many other parents of deaf children) is very different. I/we were flooded with info, then told to take our time, do research and to make your own INFORMED decision that will best benifit your families needs/wants.
I do not want to come across as rude, but by reading your post, it seems that you have not done much research about CI, so how can you say that you are against CI. How much research, and what were your resources when doing your research?

Sorry for the double post. I wanted to add the additional paragrah to the initial post.

Last edited:
I have the same experience. Most information is provided, but even so it's allready available on the web. In fact, doing research on the web allowed us to aske deeper questions which were answerd to all satisfaction.

Obviously they did not provide info about deafness, and that's fine since that's not the job of the doctor.
That information can be given by other people / organisations.

The only advise they did not give us was which brand to choose. Obviously they were not allowed, but for us it also meant that the quality of each system was the same. (We had to choose between MedEl and Cochlear)

Like LillysDad said... if you get biased and/or partial information, then change doctor....

............. (and most of the time the doctors tell the parents their personal opinion not letting the parents get a full range of information) ................
I have never had the experience that the doctor explains from a personal view... and we met quite a few.......
if iwas the person questioning the CI's (knowing what i know now) i would choose not to get the CI.
If you are questioning ANYTHING you should NOT go for it... What you should do is get extra information in order to make an objective decision...

Just want to add.

Compare the speach of Shelby (Part 1) after 3 years of CI with Heather after 3 years (part 2).
(Sorry for those who can't hear.... but ask someone to explain the difference)

Yeah, there's definitely a difference between implanting at age 3, versus age 9. Clearly Heather's speech is very good, but it's not as good as the little girl in part 1. I suspect that Heather's speech will continue to improve, and maybe by age 15 or so it'll be very clear. Still, it was a lot better than I expected, and they didn't really need to put that captioning under her image when she talked--it was understandable, just not crisp. She seemed to have a bit of trouble with three syllable words also--she seemed to want to turn them into two syllable words without realizing she was doing it. However, if you think about it, the speech processing part of her brain is really only 3 - 5 years old, and many 3 - 5 year olds struggle with multiple syllable words, so I think she'll keep improving with time.

.......... However, if you think about it, the speech processing part of her brain is really only 3 - 5 years old, and many 3 - 5 year olds struggle with multiple syllable words, so I think she'll keep improving with time.
Absolutely, but keep in mind that Shelby had the CI for the same time. SO BOTH had it for 3-4 years.

The expectation is that Heather not reach the same level as Shelby.
But that's OK. The goal for Heather was to hear and to talk with her friends.. and she's very able to do that..

Absolutely, but keep in mind that Shelby had the CI for the same time. SO BOTH had it for 3-4 years.

The expectation is that Heather not reach the same level as Shelby.
But that's OK. The goal for Heather was to hear and to talk with her friends.. and she's very able to do that..

True, but I was specifically talking about Heather's troubles with three syllable words. Lots of hearing 3 - 5 year-old kids stumble on three syllable words (heck, my 8 year old still says "pah-sketti" for spaghetti), so it doesn't surprise me that she'd have that particular problem. I actually didn't think Heather's diction was THAT much worse than Shelby's at age 5--a little maybe, but not much. There were a couple of times when she wasn't trying that hard where she slipped into a kind of slurred "J/CH" sound when saying "J" words, and she has a little bit of trouble moderating the air flow in her throat, but all in all, I thought her speech was quite good.

True, but I was specifically talking about Heather's troubles with three syllable words. Lots of hearing 3 - 5 year-old kids stumble on three syllable words (heck, my 8 year old still says "pah-sketti" for spaghetti), so it doesn't surprise me that she'd have that particular problem. I actually didn't think Heather's diction was THAT much worse than Shelby's at age 5--a little maybe, but not much. There were a couple of times when she wasn't trying that hard where she slipped into a kind of slurred "J/CH" sound when saying "J" words, and she has a little bit of trouble moderating the air flow in her throat, but all in all, I thought her speech was quite good.

For both, the result is wonderful !

I know Shelby

Hi...

My name is Andrew J. Branigan and I want to let you know I know Shelby Vestrich and She's my best friend...she goes to my school in Massapequa High School as 10th grader. We oftens talk on AIM and on facebook chat.

isn't a small world?! :ty::P:deaf:

If you want to know about Shelby..ask me any time

Back