Sound and Fury, Parts 1 and 2

Really Wow, I wanna to see that movie :(

Actually, Heather did not change her mind. watch it again.. heather said "you told me you decide" something to that effect. (that was in chapter 10 in DVD just before Peter III go into surgery)

in new documentary, "Sound and the Fury: 6 Years Later", Heather thanked her mother for letting her have it. (if you all read the press release in other thread regarding the "6 Years later" )

Why they didn't get it is because the audiologist said to Nita that she will not have same effect if Heather have it. Plus it was the Deaf community that overwhelmed them that it was not necessary plus that her husband pressured themselves to move to MD to immerse into Deaf community (while it is farther from his job than before)

This Shelby of Vestrich Family, the daughter of hearing parents, was implanted earlier than her age so that's why she didn't know signs.

Boult said:
Actually, Heather did not change her mind. watch it again.. heather said "you told me you decide" something to that effect. (that was in chapter 10 in DVD just before Peter III go into surgery)

in new documentary, "Sound and the Fury: 6 Years Later", Heather thanked her mother for letting her have it. (if you all read the press release in other thread regarding the "6 Years later" )

Why they didn't get it is because the audiologist said to Nita that she will not have same effect if Heather have it. Plus it was the Deaf community that overwhelmed them that it was not necessary plus that her husband pressured themselves to move to MD to immerse into Deaf community (while it is farther from his job than before)

This Shelby of Vestrich Family, the daughter of hearing parents, was implanted earlier than her age so that's why she didn't know signs.

Well, the reason Nita decided to not implant her with CI yet because she felt that Heather is rather too young to have CI. She explained the reason to Heather. Heather understood and respect her mother... I would do the same as Nita to support children's choice when they are older enough to understand pros and cons.

Subject about Shelby... Very sad condition :(

You can tell the difference CI children between Shelby of hearing parents and a girl (Mar....?) of deaf parents. I can see that a girl of deaf parents are happier because her wish is being fulfilled which is good.

Cheri said:
I saw the movie tonight, "Sound and Fury" I did not like the movie one bit, There was so much in that movie that I did not like, First of all, The grandmother had some nerve to tell Heather's parents that they're abusing her own daughter for not giving an opportunity to have a cochlear implant. She has no right to get involved in the first place, she's a grandmother not parents to Heather. The parents felt pressured and pushy from the grandmother, I can see that with my own eyes and I remember Liebling stated that in another thread. (You're correct, Liebling) ;) Secondly of all, When Heather and her family went to visit a child with a cochlear implant in New Jersey as I recalling, none of the family of this little girl with cochlear implant knew any sign language, not even that girl herself, not all that, the family has no knowledge of the Deaf Culture or that young girl for all I know, She doesn't even know she is deaf without a cochlear implant either. She focus on spoken language with no sign language. You could say "oral method" That's what disgusted me the most. :(

Now at the begin of the movie, I had no problem with Heather wanted to have a cochlear implant for herself, because she wanted to hear everything, and to be able to speak. Then she visited the classroom of children with cochlear implant that knows no sign language at all. I saw her reaction to that too. I can tell that confused her even more, because she was raise with sign language, and she wanted to be part of both worlds, not one world like the rest of those children with cochlear implants.

What I am most proud of about Heather's parents, They involved her daughter, Heather on the research on cochlear implants, They're met children with cochlear implants, They're met the family with a child with cochlear implant, before making a final decision. Then Heather change her mind about wanted a cochlear implant. I give heather's parents a round of applause, for not thinking about themselves, they want whatever makes Heather happy. That's the way it should be. ;)

:gpost: I'm with you on this... That's what I has the feeling after watch on this movie.

Yes it's very sad with Shelba of hearing parents because she didn't know that she is deaf. Yes, Heather's family visited to one hearing and one deaf family of CI children. You can tell the difference character between Shelba of hearing parents and a girl of deaf parents who have CI... A girl (Mar...?) is happier which different as Shelba... :(

Yes I :applause: Nika for that.

Where can i watch this video? I've seen it before but that was eons ago. Could someone post a link to it if there is one?? THANX!!!!!!!!

Boult said:

I am aware of that, but then the mother told her, We decide together. But, did you see the mother asked Heather, "Do you want a CI" She said no, then the mother said it's up to you, then Heather said, "You told me not to" then, the mother said, "We decide together" which meaning her and Heather. ;)

Liebling:-))) said:
:gpost: I'm with you on this... That's what I has the feeling after watch on this movie.
Thanks Liebling. ;) Yep, I even cried too, the same time I was like, What the hell is wrong with those people, butting in everyone's business, putting pressure on these parents.

Breezy said:
Where can i watch this video? I've seen it before but that was eons ago. Could someone post a link to it if there is one?? THANX!!!!!!!!
Go to your local library, They have a VHS of "Sound and Fury"

Cheri said:
I am aware of that, but then the mother told her, We decide together. But, did you see the mother asked Heather, "Do you want a CI" She said no, then the mother said it's up to you, then Heather said, "You told me not to" then, the mother said, "We decide together" which meaning her and Heather. ;)

Yeah, that's the scene. it looks coached. but remember in the bedroom, heather was saying that she don't mind if implanted now. now between that two point, how does it change Heather's mind? (hope you all watched the scene after the argument between mother and Peter II up to the point of another argument between them and notice what Peter II says. Just before Heatehr-Mother decision. He said it was final and moving to Md.

(But however, in DVD, she said "you told me you decided" Nita said "no, we decided together, remember" Heather said "oh" see that "oh" I think she still wants it. It was mother-daughter agreement not individual agreement. I am like first she said "up to you" then "we decided together, remember" )

(anyway, that video is worth watching again and again till one get all parts of scripts in everything both (from CC and their signs then will understand better than the first time around.)

After I saw it first time, I assumed that was end of it. No CI for them.

then 3 years later Heather got it then Nita got it (as shown in "A New World of Sounds" video I posted. That was announced on Good Morning America (but I heard rumors before that was aired) I am like "I knew it that Heather still wants it." and that decision not to implant were after they moved to maryland to get into deaf school and community. (that is like further isolating themselves *shrug*)

Now that new documentary is coming out and we will see why they changed mind again and get them.

Breezy said:
Hmmm ok....but it's not on youtube or anything like that???
Nope they can't be on youtube or google video due to copyright. but they are rentable via Netfix.com or other video rentals. and they are available in library.

and more info is at this website:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/soundandfury/index.html see what it says at bottom about new "6 Years Later" documentary then click "About the Film" then click "Video Tapes" you will see all the info for VHS and DVD like where to buy or how to order.

I saw the movie tonight, "Sound and Fury" I did not like the movie one bit, There was so much in that movie that I did not like, First of all, The grandmother had some nerve to tell Heather's parents that they're abusing her own daughter for not giving an opportunity to have a cochlear implant. She has no right to get involved in the first place, she's a grandmother not parents to Heather. The parents felt pressured and pushy from the grandmother, I can see that with my own eyes and I remember Liebling stated that in another thread. (You're correct, Liebling) ;) Secondly of all, When Heather and her family went to visit a child with a cochlear implant in New Jersey as I recalling, none of the family of this little girl with cochlear implant knew any sign language, not even that girl herself, not all that, the family has no knowledge of the Deaf Culture or that young girl for all I know, She doesn't even know she is deaf without a cochlear implant either. She focus on spoken language with no sign language. You could say "oral method" That's what disgusted me the most. :(

Now at the begin of the movie, I had no problem with Heather wanted to have a cochlear implant for herself, because she wanted to hear everything, and to be able to speak. Then she visited the classroom of children with cochlear implant that knows no sign language at all. I saw her reaction to that too. I can tell that confused her even more, because she was raise with sign language, and she wanted to be part of both worlds, not one world like the rest of those children with cochlear implants.

What I am most proud of about Heather's parents, They involved her daughter, Heather on the research on cochlear implants, They're met children with cochlear implants, They're met the family with a child with cochlear implant, before making a final decision. Then Heather change her mind about wanted a cochlear implant. I give heather's parents a round of applause, for not thinking about themselves, they want whatever makes Heather happy. That's the way it should be. ;)

I go back and forth on it really. I'm a hearing person, so naturally I don't completely understand Deaf culture, but I can almost see why Heather's grandma was SO overbearing. It seemed wrong to me that she was pressuring Peter and Nita so much (after all, Peter and Nita are the parents, not her), but at the same time, she was really just trying to be a good grandma and advocate for her grandchildren. She was very pushy, but you also see that she was crying over it--it's not like she was being mean just to be a controlling person. She does respect Peter and Nita (she calls them "good parents" and refuses to call them abusive when the interviewer asks her if Peter and Nita are abusing Heather), but she disagrees with them strongly.

I would agree however, that the hearing family that doesn't teach their daughter ANY sign or Deaf culture was kind of disappointing to me. They kind of hid behind the doctors and educators excuses. I find it unlikely that a little bit of sign and exposure to deaf people would harm these kids THAT much. Sure, they might pick up some sign, and make some deaf friends. Maybe they might even decide that they like to sign when they're with their deaf friends. What exactly is wrong with that? It seems to me that the doctors and educators are misguided in this regard. Obviously if you've mainstreamed a child with a CI, they're going to get TONS of practice speaking and hearing, so it's not like learning sign is going to slow them down THAT much. Even if it did slow down their speech acquisition a little, what's the big deal? It's kind of a trade off right? Shouldn't that trade off be thought through and decided based on more than what some stupid doctor or audiologist tells you? That's certainly how I'd be if one of my daughters were deaf. We'd probably get the CI, but I certainly wouldn't deprive her of the opportunity to learn sign and get involved with deaf kids and culture.

In any event, the follow up film (Sound & Fury - Six Years Later) shows that the family has reconciled, and Heather seems to be able to live well in both the hearing and Deaf cultures simultaneously (she gets a CI at age 9).

.........When Heather and her family went to visit a child with a cochlear implant in New Jersey as I recalling, none of the family of this little girl with cochlear implant knew any sign language, not even that girl herself, not all that, the family has no knowledge of the Deaf Culture or that young girl for all I know, She doesn't even know she is deaf without a cochlear implant either. She focus on spoken language with no sign language. You could say "oral method" That's what disgusted me the most. :(
The hearing parents of the deaf child are in a way in the same position as the deaf parents of the deaf child.
From a first impression, both have not done enough to expose their child to the "other side". The language of the deaf child with deaf parents was not great, as if she spends most time still in a deaf environment, which of course is the case, since she will still use sign at home and perhaps on school.
The hearing parents could have expose their child more to a deaf environment, and possibly chose not to. But; their child spoke well, which is the goal for CI.
Also remember that both children had no problem communicating with their parents and THAT is one of the most important things.
The child of the hearing parents is included. She feels part of the family because she understands the communication that goes on, and she participates in it. (I have read plenty of stories where the child feels EX-cluded and then deaf identity becomes a hughe issue.) With that in mind, I can see that there is no need for sign language. This can come later.

The perspective is very important here. From a deaf/Deaf perspective it's awful that the child does not feel deaf. From a hearing perspective the child can communicate and is integrate in the hearing world of the family. The child is (for now) not missing anything. It is part of the family.
Later, it might feel selfconcious about the difference between her and her family. That will be the time when deaf culture will be a significant part of her life. But until then, there's no need to force the child to realise that it is deaf. Because in a way. it is not deaf. The child lives in a world with sound. If contact with deaf happens - great. if it doesn't happen, fine.

Information about . . . . . [m] . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my daughter. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . how the ear works . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . CI-nonsense . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .[/m]

:gpost:

Cloggy, I am glad you are thinking that way.

For me, it is very important that the child could be able to be a part of the family and to be included. I think I had said in another thread that the child should be able to fit into whatever he/she will ultimately grow into. I'm not saying this quite right (well, it is too early!).

I am seeing hearing parents on here who have realistic expectations of their children and I applaud them (you inluded, Cloggy).

(cannot wait to see Parts 1 and 2 of Sound and Fury -- Fragmenter, please don't forget to bring those CDs when you come in town)

Hey, this is Norway calling :)

I ordered it via email. Had to use a creditcard, so it took some time as they normally don't do that.

Watched it yet? Parts 1 and 2? Cannot wait for Fragmenter to bring the CDs next time they're in town! (psst, what did you think?)

Back