Sound and Fury, Parts 1 and 2

greema,

Since you live in St. Louis, Are you planning on coming to the AD Caucus this coming up weekend?

jag said:
I thought I really had the deaf- Deaf thingy all figured out but perhaps you could explain it to me to make sure. They seem to keep adding more ways of saying it with different letters and I'm beginning to think I'm getting them mixed up. :dunno:

Jag, hmmmm -- the way I understand this is I am deaf (oral school until I entered public school in the 6th grade through graduation from high school). My husband is Deaf (state school for the deaf) all his life.

But I could be Deaf because I started learning ASL when I was about 13 or 14 and I hung around with Deaf almost daily.

Cheri said:
greema,

Since you live in St. Louis, Are you planning on coming to the AD Caucus this coming up weekend?

Huh??? Yes I remember someone mentioned it. Hmmm, will need to look up the schedule and work that in. Do I have to register?

greema said:
Huh??? Yes I remember someone mentioned it. Hmmm, will need to look up the schedule and work that in. Do I have to register?
It's kinda too late to send in a registration form, since there already been a deadline. But, they do take walk-in's, which on Saturday night there's a dinner combo for I think 80.00 per person. You'll get to meet all the ADers/Moderators that are coming, If you need more information, You can contract DreamDeaf, She is a member here at AD.

It'll be held at: Crown Plaza St. Louis Airport
11228 Lone Eagle Drive Bridgeton, Missouri 63044.

greema said:
No problem about being off topic...

I am SO thankful for VP! That way we can "see" our deaf children and deaf grandchildren -- we try to VP often. And I notice since we got the VPs, we travel less often between cities (good thing now cos of the rising cost of gas!) :run:

Being off the topic again... I do have vp ... one of daughters have one too....

SxyPorkie :hyper: :whistle: :whistle:

greema said:
Jag, hmmmm -- the way I understand this is I am deaf (oral school until I entered public school in the 6th grade through graduation from high school). My husband is Deaf (state school for the deaf) all his life.

But I could be Deaf because I started learning ASL when I was about 13 or 14 and I hung around with Deaf almost daily.

Like Jag, I was getting rather confused myself over this deaf/Deaf bit. So, from what you are saying here that the Deaf is the deaf community and heavily into sign...right? Whereas the deaf is basically all the rest?

sr171soars said:
Like Jag, I was getting rather confused myself over this deaf/Deaf bit. So, from what you are saying here that the Deaf is the deaf community and heavily into sign...right? Whereas the deaf is basically all the rest?

That's kinda the way i was thinking it was, but then they add in hoh, which is what I always concidered myself. moderate/mild for most of my life with it gradually getting lower so was severe/mod. by the time I got my implant, and HA's worked ok until the last few years when I really stuggled. Yet I see those who concider themselves as hoh who had a very difficult time learning to speak because they were closer to severe/profound. Yeah I understand the speech thing depends on type of loss and stuff.....gets kinda confusing. :dunno:

but it is nice to know that the Deaf/deaf thing was kinda like I thought. :)

Jag,

Funny you said that about the HOH being added. Given how some define deaf/Deaf, I would think even HOH folks are lumped into the deaf category. I don't see how they can be considered different. Personally, I couldn't care a wit where somebody classifies me because it isn't going to make any difference to me how I go about living...;)

Cheri said:
It's kinda too late to send in a registration form, since there already been a deadline. But, they do take walk-in's, which on Saturday night there's a dinner combo for I think 80.00 per person. You'll get to meet all the ADers/Moderators that are coming, If you need more information, You can contract DreamDeaf, She is a member here at AD.

It'll be held at: Crown Plaza St. Louis Airport
11228 Lone Eagle Drive Bridgeton, Missouri 63044.

Cheri, thanks so much for bringing that to my attention. I just PMed DreamDeaf inquiring about buying at door for me and my husband. Fragmenter is even looking into it too. Hope he and his family can come! :hyper: (anything to get them here -- LOL)
(wonder if you know how many are going?)

greema said:
Cheri, thanks so much for bringing that to my attention. I just PMed DreamDeaf inquiring about buying at door for me and my husband. Fragmenter is even looking into it too. Hope he and his family can come! :hyper: (anything to get them here -- LOL)
(wonder if you know how many are going?)
You're welcome ;) Not a lot are going, I believe under 20 people.

greema said:
Boult, again you deliver! Great job! :cheers:

Hmmm you'll definitely will be the first person to come to mind if I ever need a secretary! :dance2:
:laugh2: He's pretty good at that. ;)

sr171soars said:

You're getting it! It's pretty much the Deaf are totally immersed in their culture.
And people trying to be politically correct about labeling the disabled (don't say handicapped) are calling us "hearing impaired" and we are telling them we prefer the "deaf" label and that includes ALL of us with some degree of hearing loss so the hoh are included.

greema said:
Boult, again you deliver! Great job! :cheers:

Hmmm you'll definitely will be the first person to come to mind if I ever need a secretary! :dance2:

AND by the way I sent that money order to Josh Aronson today for Parts 1 and 2 DVDs.
Thank you and You are welcome Greema :D

greema said:
You're getting it! It's pretty much the Deaf are totally immersed in their culture.
And people trying to be politically correct about labeling the disabled (don't say handicapped) are calling us "hearing impaired" and we are telling them we prefer the "deaf" label and that includes ALL of us with some degree of hearing loss so the hoh are included.

That is what I figured at first but then it got a little hairy there for a bit... :D

Ah...an interesting spin on labeling...but I will leave that alone (I have said my two cents in other threads)... :whistle:

LOL, I'll see you guys at the AD Caucaus!

Boult, you going, too? Come on, you gotta!

Cheri said:
You're welcome ;) Not a lot are going, I believe under 20 people.

I heard that you and your sister are thinking about having CI...I wish you both bestest luck in the whole world...

SxyPorkie

I saw the movie tonight, "Sound and Fury" I did not like the movie one bit, There was so much in that movie that I did not like, First of all, The grandmother had some nerve to tell Heather's parents that they're abusing her own daughter for not giving an opportunity to have a cochlear implant. She has no right to get involved in the first place, she's a grandmother not parents to Heather. The parents felt pressured and pushy from the grandmother, I can see that with my own eyes and I remember Liebling stated that in another thread. (You're correct, Liebling) ;) Secondly of all, When Heather and her family went to visit a child with a cochlear implant in New Jersey as I recalling, none of the family of this little girl with cochlear implant knew any sign language, not even that girl herself, not all that, the family has no knowledge of the Deaf Culture or that young girl for all I know, She doesn't even know she is deaf without a cochlear implant either. She focus on spoken language with no sign language. You could say "oral method" That's what disgusted me the most. :(

Now at the begin of the movie, I had no problem with Heather wanted to have a cochlear implant for herself, because she wanted to hear everything, and to be able to speak. Then she visited the classroom of children with cochlear implant that knows no sign language at all. I saw her reaction to that too. I can tell that confused her even more, because she was raise with sign language, and she wanted to be part of both worlds, not one world like the rest of those children with cochlear implants.

What I am most proud of about Heather's parents, They involved her daughter, Heather on the research on cochlear implants, They're met children with cochlear implants, They're met the family with a child with cochlear implant, before making a final decision. Then Heather change her mind about wanted a cochlear implant. I give heather's parents a round of applause, for not thinking about themselves, they want whatever makes Heather happy. That's the way it should be. ;)

Back