Sound and Fury, Parts 1 and 2

greema

Reaction score
Hello everyone! First of all I was at a wedding for a deaf couple and our table started discussing CIs and one lady tried to convince me that CIs are bad news.
She was very surprised to hear about Fragmenter and his son and tried to preach to me about the "evils" of CIs. :dunno:
I related the story about the Artenian family and told her there was Part 2 coming out soon. I've tried searching the threads for a link to Part 2 and remembered someone had posted a link. I googled "Sound and Fury" and found the Diane Sawyer interview but I really wanted that link where it was documented instead of a film clip only.
Can someone help me find more information? I had promised her I'll send her the link(s). And it sure would be very useful for me to bookmark those links -- should have done that in the first place -- duh me! :hyper:

Thank you very much, my dear Boult! :bowdown:

Reviewed everything and I think this was the real turning point for me in realizing that a CI is another tool for my grandson.

And I'm getting off my big butt and start the ordering process of the DVDs (Fragmenter, sorry I proscrinated as usual BUT we'll all get to view them).

:cheers:

Oh boy!!! CI are not evils...someone is pulling your leg..... Greema... they are trying to scare you.... BE STRONG.... of course.. I am against implanting on babies and toddlers.. BUT IT IS NOT EVIL!!

Thanks!!

SxyPorkie :whistle:

It sad that some people still thinks CI is evil, good lord, btw I still can not find that movie :(

^Angel^ said:
It sad that some people still thinks CI is evil, good lord, btw I still can not find that movie :(
which movie Angel? Sound and Fury: Six years later" ? or the first one?

^Angel^ said:
see #2 post of mine and click the 2nd link under "sound and fury" :)

SxyPorkie said:
Oh boy!!! CI are not evils...someone is pulling your leg..... Greema... they are trying to scare you.... BE STRONG.... of course.. I am against implanting on babies and toddlers.. BUT IT IS NOT EVIL!!

Thanks!!

SxyPorkie :whistle:

Hi SxyPorkie -- first please accept my apologies about you and a certain person being the same one. Won't do that again...
Anyway that lady didn't exactly say "evil" but her attitude kinda showed that -- I'm really surprised so many people in this city of all places are so against CI!
The more I read about implanting babies and toddlers -- I guess the situation would dictate how early they can/should be implanted and I believe it is fine as long as ALL of the other options have been exhausted and the CI is the very last option.
We have well-known oral schools here. Yesterday my husband went to the 1955-1965 reunion at his deaf school and he had discussed CIs with some of them and I am very surprised that the Deaf are more accepting of CIs than the deaf! Go figure!
:hyper:

Boult said:
see #2 post of mine and click the 2nd link under "sound and fury" :)

Angel, I sent an email to Josh Aronson this afternoon and he had replied asking if I wanted captioned copies (I am ordering the Parts 1 and 2) and will send him a check tomorrow (payday, LOL) and will have him send the DVDs to Fragmenter first. Hopefully he'll have gotten them before we drive 5 hours to his home so we could be with them while his son, our grandson, has his CI surgery at the end of this month.

greema said:
Yesterday my husband went to the 1955-1965 reunion at his deaf school and he had discussed CIs with some of them and I am very surprised that the Deaf are more accepting of CIs than the deaf! Go figure!

That's an interesting observation. I wonder why that is since you'd think it would be the other way around.

greema said:
Hi SxyPorkie -- first please accept my apologies about you and a certain person being the same one. Won't do that again...
Anyway that lady didn't exactly say "evil" but her attitude kinda showed that -- I'm really surprised so many people in this city of all places are so against CI!
The more I read about implanting babies and toddlers -- I guess the situation would dictate how early they can/should be implanted and I believe it is fine as long as ALL of the other options have been exhausted and the CI is the very last option.
We have well-known oral schools here. Yesterday my husband went to the 1955-1965 reunion at his deaf school and he had discussed CIs with some of them and I am very surprised that the Deaf are more accepting of CIs than the deaf! Go figure!

I accept your apology... I understand in your situation,,, i believe in letting person to make their own choice or decision.... I do have few CI'er friends... I have nothing against them for implantingl.. it was their own choice.. that's fine with me... they understood how I feel about choices and decisions...

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie

I went to the library not too long ago to rented this movie "Sound and Fury", But someone else was borrowing it for two weeks, I haven't gone back and see if it's return yet. Does anyone know it has closed caption?

greema,

I'm sorry that you experienced some negative responds about CI from a deaf couple at the wedding. Ignored it and just follow your heart. ;)

greema said:

I thought I really had the deaf- Deaf thingy all figured out but perhaps you could explain it to me to make sure. They seem to keep adding more ways of saying it with different letters and I'm beginning to think I'm getting them mixed up. :dunno:

greema said:
Angel, I sent an email to Josh Aronson this afternoon and he had replied asking if I wanted captioned copies (I am ordering the Parts 1 and 2) and will send him a check tomorrow (payday, LOL) and will have him send the DVDs to Fragmenter first. Hopefully he'll have gotten them before we drive 5 hours to his home so we could be with them while his son, our grandson, has his CI surgery at the end of this month.

So Fragmenter lives so far from you.. so are mine... two lives in Illinois... one lives in Florida and last one lives in Tennessee.. I live in Southern California...

So forgive me for being off topic LOL

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie

greema said:
you mean deaf are more accepting than Deaf? or what? I wondered why deaf is not accepting than Deaf?

greema said:
glad to hear that. Good idea on that!

R2D2 said:
That's an interesting observation. I wonder why that is since you'd think it would be the other way around.

I don't really understand it either. I live in the same city as Lilly's Dad (I think someone mentioned his bad experience with the deaf) -- a friend had witnessed a confrontation at a Halloween party at a deaf club and I'm beginning to wonder if this would have been Lilly's Dad?

When I first joined this forum, Lilly's Dad was mentioned in one of the threads and it shocked me to see they're from this town but I guess with all I've witnessed, the Deaf/deaf are on a very wide spectrum of opinions of the CI issue.

:dunno:

SxyPorkie said:
So Fragmenter lives so far from you.. so are mine... two lives in Illinois... one lives in Florida and last one lives in Tennessee.. I live in Southern California...

So forgive me for being off topic LOL

Thanks!!
SxyPorkie

No problem about being off topic...

I am SO thankful for VP! That way we can "see" our deaf children and deaf grandchildren -- we try to VP often. And I notice since we got the VPs, we travel less often between cities (good thing now cos of the rising cost of gas!) :run:

Back