Sound and Fury, Parts 1 and 2

Watched it yet? Parts 1 and 2? Cannot wait for Fragmenter to bring the CDs next time they're in town! (psst, what did you think?)

Hahahaha, old fart, it's "DVD", not "CD"! Just giving you crap, mom :D

Part 2 brought a lot of relief to me and made my wife cry. A lot.

We watched it after our son got implanted and I was relieved to see how much progress the daughter made because she was implanted at age 9! That is pretty late to me but you almost could not tell that if you watch her and her grandma...

It's awesome. I love everybody in that family. They love having the identity of being deaf but they know how crucial it is to communicate with the world in real time. I can imagine feeling really comfortable hanging out with them because they understand the deaf community and the world. They "get" it now.

Watched it yet? Parts 1 and 2? Cannot wait for Fragmenter to bring the CDs next time they're in town! (psst, what did you think?)
In one word..... WOW!!

It's beautiful how the family - strongly divided at the end in part 1 - is now together again. And, in such a wonderful harmony!!

I showed it to my mother-in-law. First part 1 (her english is not that good, but she got it) and then part 2.. She loved it as well..

But DO see part 1 first... It's not a must, but I can really recommend it. (Part 1 is over an hour; part two just 1/2 hour.)

Hey, this is Norway calling :)

I ordered it via email. Had to use a creditcard, so it took some time as they normally don't do that.

Pllleeeeeeeeeaaaasssssseeeeee give me email to order DVD. :bowdown:

Hold on... Question: Do DVD have Region 2? Region 1 is not working in Europe... What about you?

Just want to add.

Compare the speach of Shelby (Part 1) after 3 years of CI with Heather after 3 years (part 2).
(Sorry for those who can't hear.... but ask someone to explain the difference)

Just want to add.

Compare the speach of Shelby (Part 1) after 3 years of CI with Heather after 3 years (part 2).
(Sorry for those who can't hear.... but ask someone to explain the difference)

Do you mean that there're no subtitles on Part 1 & 2 DVD?

Hello everyone! First of all I was at a wedding for a deaf couple and our table started discussing CIs and one lady tried to convince me that CIs are bad news.
She was very surprised to hear about Fragmenter and his son and tried to preach to me about the "evils" of CIs. :dunno:
I related the story about the Artenian family and told her there was Part 2 coming out soon. I've tried searching the threads for a link to Part 2 and remembered someone had posted a link. I googled "Sound and Fury" and found the Diane Sawyer interview but I really wanted that link where it was documented instead of a film clip only.
Can someone help me find more information? I had promised her I'll send her the link(s). And it sure would be very useful for me to bookmark those links -- should have done that in the first place -- duh me! :hyper:

ahhhh...having CI is not EVIL.... there are PROs and CONs....ingore the idiots...

Do you mean that there're no subtitles on Part 1 & 2 DVD?
Not sure now.... I listen to the english and "forget" any subtitles that are there... There must be CC...
Point is, that being deaf you might read what is being said; "hearies" will hear the difference.

The difference is that Heather's quality of speach - at 9, after 3 years of CI - is far behind the quality of shelby in Part 1 (where she's 4, after 3 years of CI)
Sure there will be argument that results differ, but Heather is a very intelligent girl, like Shelby. The difference is the age at which they were implanted..

Not sure now.... I listen to the english and "forget" any subtitles that are there... There must be CC...
Point is, that being deaf you might read what is being said; "hearies" will hear the difference.

The difference is that Heather's quality of speach - at 9, after 3 years of CI - is far behind the quality of shelby in Part 1 (where she's 4, after 3 years of CI)
Sure there will be argument that results differ, but Heather is a very intelligent girl, like Shelby. The difference is the age at which they were implanted..

Okay, could you please check back of DVD - which Region it has... You said "CC" - it could be Region 1 ? Any DVD with Region 1 doesn´t work in Europe but America or Canada. We (Europeans) use only DVD Region 2.

Reading the back of the DVD..

It's Closed Caption, but nothing about region...
But I played it on the european system.

It's not the standard layout on the back...

I'll humor you.... From left to right:

"Unrated CC Stereo NTSC DVD"

I saw the movie tonight, "Sound and Fury" I did not like the movie one bit, There was so much in that movie that I did not like, First of all, The grandmother had some nerve to tell Heather's parents that they're abusing her own daughter for not giving an opportunity to have a cochlear implant. She has no right to get involved in the first place, she's a grandmother not parents to Heather. The parents felt pressured and pushy from the grandmother, I can see that with my own eyes and I remember Liebling stated that in another thread. (You're correct, Liebling) ;) Secondly of all, When Heather and her family went to visit a child with a cochlear implant in New Jersey as I recalling, none of the family of this little girl with cochlear implant knew any sign language, not even that girl herself, not all that, the family has no knowledge of the Deaf Culture or that young girl for all I know, She doesn't even know she is deaf without a cochlear implant either. She focus on spoken language with no sign language. You could say "oral method" That's what disgusted me the most. :(

Now at the begin of the movie, I had no problem with Heather wanted to have a cochlear implant for herself, because she wanted to hear everything, and to be able to speak. Then she visited the classroom of children with cochlear implant that knows no sign language at all. I saw her reaction to that too. I can tell that confused her even more, because she was raise with sign language, and she wanted to be part of both worlds, not one world like the rest of those children with cochlear implants.

What I am most proud of about Heather's parents, They involved her daughter, Heather on the research on cochlear implants, They're met children with cochlear implants, They're met the family with a child with cochlear implant, before making a final decision. Then Heather change her mind about wanted a cochlear implant. I give heather's parents a round of applause, for not thinking about themselves, they want whatever makes Heather happy. That's the way it should be. ;)

I know Peter and Nita. I went school with Peter and his sister Jeanette. They are very nice and very understandable right now than in the past.

When I heard abt it the first time, I was so upset with Peter and Nita. I saw the movie theatre with my two ASL students one night few yrs ago. In some way I didn't agree with what they were saying or so in the movie. After the movie, I bumped Peter's grandmother. I had alittle chat with her. She was a nice woman. I understand what she wanted for her granddaughter but it was up to the parents. BUT she tried to help her granddaughter how to say the words right. I applauded for that. It was good idea to help the kids to say right like my mother did with me when I was a child.

Years later, I saw Heather one time at my old school festival. She was talking alittle clearly with ASL to two teachers. I looked at her and was it Heather? I asked them Is that Heather? They said yes. I said wow she's so big already. I remembered her when she was alittle. Heather have CI. She's happy with it.

A year ago, I got my old school newsletter. They were writing abt Nita with her job and CI. Nita had CI but it was failed. She couldnt hear at all. She accepted it.

Last edited:
It's not the standard layout on the back...

I'll humor you.... From left to right:

"Unrated CC Stereo NTSC DVD"
that means your DVD player or your computer's DVD drive is region free set up.

Edit: I mean to say "That could means that your DVD Player...."

I know Nita for so many years and she's my friend. Nita is very, very NICE and really sweet lady! I met her husband once and he was really friendly.

I watched Sound and Fury in a long time ago and it was VERY INTERESTING to watch. I emailed Nita and told her that it was very interesting and we learned a lot from it because we can see better like pros and cons. Nita told me that she was embarrassed. I told her "Oh, noooo don't feel embarrassed at all....it's life and we constantly learn everyday and it's normal".

Now, I've not heard from her for a few years because she has a very busy life and I have a very busy life so we didn't keep in touch thru email.

Well, I just saw the post above about Nita's CI as failure. I am very sorry that CI didn't work for her.

Well, I just saw the post above about Nita's CI as failure. I am very sorry that CI didn't work for her.

Whoa... she only said
A year ago, I got my old school newsletter. They were writing abt Nita with her job and CI. Nita had CI but it was failed. She couldnt hear at all. She accepted it.

I think she needs to reread the newsletter again... Because she didn't tell us what she means by "it was failed" and "She couldn't hear at all" that's conflicting story with the update below... hmm.

But this update from: Hands & Voices :: ‘Sound and Fury' Update
For Nita, it was a slower process to understanding sound. "It took me a year and half," said Nita, "to make any sense of sound. Now I understand the sound of a bird, the water flushing. Lipreading is so much easier, with sounds coming in clearer and matching up easier with what is said on the lips."
Well is that a failure?.. this is update on the family this year hmm.. RedheaGrrl says "a year ago" so which is more accurate?

Have you seen the 2nd one, the "6 Years Later" yet?
http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...re-new-documentary-about-artinian-family.html

Here's best information on DVD Region

DVD region code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(I'll post same thing on that thread you pointed to for future reference)

wow, thank you for link... I will go back and look my thread and make post there.... Thank you again :thumb:

It could be that Cloggy had DVD is Region 0 ! (Region free). I will check my DVD either they are Region free or not.

Back