Some thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She used to, until Miss Kat didn't need it. (In the one on one, controlled enviroment) She still does for clarification, occasionally.

I am confused...I thought u said in this thread or in another thread that it is not AVT if there is signing involved.

Did the children demand for aural rehab? Are they saying that it is their needs not being met?

Evidently, from the other posts that have been made, not only are the children not demanding it, the vast majority of the parents aren't either. This would appear to be a war of one.

It tells me that we are doing a great job.

Yeah, just keep telling yourself that.

BTW, since today is President's Day, and the majority of schools are closed, what are you doing with Miss Kat today?

I am confused...I thought u said in this thread or in another thread that it is not AVT if there is signing involved.

It isn't. The whole premise of AVT is no visual cues, to the point of turning away when a child attempts to lipread in order to force them to rely on their hearing only.

Evidently, from the other posts that have been made, not only are the children not demanding it, the vast majority of the parents aren't either. This would appear to be a war of one.

Actually, two of the kids have begged to be pulled out because they "want to use (their) voice" and aren't allowed. Two more have already been pulled out and placed in the mainstream.

And she doesn't get AVT, she gets aural rehab for her CI.

If she is already getting aural rehab, there is no need to attempt to force the school to provide it. Let the therapist provide the aural rehab, and let the school do what it is intended to do: educate.

Yeah, just keep telling yourself that.

BTW, since today is President's Day, and the majority of schools are closed, what are you doing with Miss Kat today?

Leaving for the zoo in about 10 minutes.

It isn't. The whole premise of AVT is no visual cues, to the point of turning away when a child attempts to lipread in order to force them to rely on their hearing only.

Guess that therapist is not an AVT therapistso now, I got it that she supports both ASL and spoken English.

In my experience, AVT therapists are very much against using ASL with children who have CIs.

Actually, two of the kids have begged to be pulled out because they "want to use (their) voice" and aren't allowed. Two more have already been pulled out and placed in the mainstream.

Then I would suggest that you follow their lead, given that you are so dissatisfied with her placement. The ones that haven't been pulled out are entitled to be edcuated in the bi-bi atmosphere they have chosen.

In my experience in working in differnet programs, I have never heard of such a situation. Ihave heard of one child begging to be mainstreamed so he can be hearing ..when asked why, he stated that his parents kept telling him that being hearing is better than being deaf. Now, he is mainstreamed and his parents have contacted our program asking for help with getting his needs met at his school. Go figure..

Guess that therapist is not an AVT therapistso now, I got it that she supports both ASL and spoken English.

In my experience, AVT therapists are very much against using ASL with children who have CIs.

Yep, that's the way it is.

In my experience in working in differnet programs, I have never heard of such a situation. Ihave heard of one child begging to be mainstreamed so he can be hearing ..when asked why, he stated that his parents kept telling him that being hearing is better than being deaf. Now, he is mainstreamed and his parents have contacted our program asking for help with getting his needs met at his school. Go figure..

I agree. And, lets keep in mind that these are very young children in the program that faire_jour is referring to. Young children neither know, nor really care, whether their academic needs are being met.

One has a Deaf parent, one has a twin who will be staying at the Deaf school, and the other 2 have CI's.

They vary in age from 2nd grade to 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back