Should children be allowed to drink alcohol at home?

Should children be allowed to drink alcohol at home?

• Yes

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 37 66.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
I respectfully disagree with you, Because allowing the child to drink alcohol at home is like giving access to alcohol and drugs, not teaching alcohol and drugs are bad.

:confused: Where have I say that I allow children to drink alcohol and drugs in negative way with the form of discipline? I would suggest you to go and re-read my posts.

Repeat, I expose my children with alochol and drugs in positive way which mean is show them what wrong and right.

I know one mother allows her daughter who's 14 to smoke pot around her at home, and did not even quit smoking pot, she's even addict to pot now, in that case it shows that the parents don't care and are letting it happen. Every time I am around that 14 years old teen, She always smelling marijuana :Ohno:

This is a neglectful parental discipline to expose the children like this. Where have we say any negative like what you mentioned here? Your description sounds that a mother doesn´t bother to educate her daughter in postive way that´s how expose her daughter in wrong path like this which is a sad.

If the rules are you're under age, it's against the law, and a parent let the kid taste it, doesn't sound like parent are good role model to their own kids. :ugh3:

This is your POV so I have a different POV as well (see my previous posts). If the parents who doesn´t educate their children properly or positive what wrong and right or refuse to have open communicate with their children is their ignorant and closed minded..

It's best to sit down with your child and use real life examples to illustrate some of the harm that comes to teens who experiment with drugs and alcohol, and this what I believe as a parent. ;)

Exactly what I did the same thing to my children. ;) (see my previous posts)

:confused: Where have I say that I allow children to drink alcohol and drugs in negative way with the form of discipline? I would suggest you to go and re-read my posts.

You said that you allow your children to have a sip of alcohol which is wine, You also agree with allowing them to drink at home.

This is your POV so I have a different POV as well (see my previous posts). If the parents who doesn´t educate their children properly or positive what wrong and right or refuse to have open communicate with their children is their ignorant and closed minded..

I do believe in open communication, I don't believe in giving access to alcohol and drugs to children. You misunderstood me, You believe in allowing access I believe in communication, showing them how harmful alcohol and drugs.

I voted no, but because the question refered to children. I worry about the effects alcohol can have on developing brains and bodies.

If a parent allows a minor child to drink alcohol, how does that parent know that he or she is not triggering an addiction for alcohol?

Do parents intentionally expose their children to other potentially dangerous situations just to "educate" them?

Do you let your young kids:

* experience the flame on the stove
Not the flame. They felt the oven door and I told them that is the whole stove and don't try it again.
* drive the family car on the interstate without a license
I would if I am with them, but 1st on the back roads. I did it when I was a kid.
* try various illegal drugs
If they do, I would kill them if they stay with the stuff. I will tell them not to and better not. I can honstly tell them I never tired them and that the reason why I can be soo stick on them.
* tease a strange dog
If the dog gets them, then I would laugh and tease them about it. Let them know it not the right thing to do.
* play in traffic
Warn them abt it, but that was the only hardball my friends and I could play on and it was a back road with little traffic.

* smoke[/QUOTE]
They would be dead meat and be punished. But then again, I tried it when I was a kid too.
Better not as well, just like smoking.
Or, do you explain the dangers and consequences, and tell them "don't do it"?

Some kids will disobey and rebel no matter what. But why give their disobedience your blessing?

If drinking alcohol at their age is illegal but the parent allows it, what does the child learn? The child learns it's OK to break laws that you don't agree with.

How do kids learn self control and self discipline?

I won't let my kids run wild. Just if they come home drunk, buzzed, stoned, wasted or anything else to deal with the stuff they not suppost to do, then I would make their night a living hell. Then again, if they want to drink a little at home, I would allow it. It would mean that they won't be driving and drinking, or causing trouble while drinking, or something comes about cause they are drunk. They won't get wasted at home either. It would show my kids on how to be responsable with their drinking, which is legal with everyone over 21, unless you are in the army and stationed somewhere that is different.

Also, in TX, a spouse can drink if they are underage and they other half is overage. Just that the overage has to buy it.

Yes I am not surprised about this and also agree with your post. You, Cloggy & I are European and know what it is about which total different as Americans. I know some Americans are open minded as well (look example of PuyoPiyo's post).

You will be surprised after read this link where we made hot debated of last year.
http://www.alldeaf.com/topic-debates/23447-should-legal-drinking-age-change.html

:ugh3: Very interesting after I read the link you gave me.

Let Americans talk whatever they want. Wine is damn famous since Egypt.

Did you know California have best wine in the world? How come most Americans don't want to drink wine?

You said that you allow your children to have a sip of alcohol which is wine, You also agree with allowing them to drink at home.

I do believe in open communication, I don't believe in giving access to alcohol and drugs to children. You misunderstood me, You believe in allowing access I believe in communication, showing them how harmful alcohol and drugs.

Question, Do you like to drink wine or not?

If a parent allows a minor child to drink alcohol, how does that parent know that he or she is not triggering an addiction for alcohol?

Do parents intentionally expose their children to other potentially dangerous situations just to "educate" them?

Do you let your young kids:

* experience the flame on the stove

* drive the family car on the interstate without a license

* try various illegal drugs

* tease a strange dog

* play in traffic

* smoke

* huff

Or, do you explain the dangers and consequences, and tell them "don't do it"?

Some kids will disobey and rebel no matter what. But why give their disobedience your blessing?

If drinking alcohol at their age is illegal but the parent allows it, what does the child learn? The child learns it's OK to break laws that you don't agree with.

How do kids learn self control and self discipline?

Yeah, go ahead and let them stick that penny in the electric socket. They won't do it more than once!:giggle:

Yes I said it. Its about teach them to not abuse alcohol and let them know about the difference between moderately and immoderately. Without parental education, the children will go wrong path and thought alcohol is the fun.

Open communication? I don´t see that you do with open communication because you do not allow your children to experience something with you. What if your children found out that you told them half truth? Because they didn´t know what and how to respect alcohol in manner way and drink moderately... I rather to allow my children to experience in my house than forbid them then end to go wrong path.

Drugs? Do you smoke front of your children? If yes, what did you educate your children about smoking then?

It´s same thing with us, we drank wine front of our children during meal and relax evenings. Should we give up everything and hide it from our children? NO! Its about open communicate to show them what we are and educate them how to respect alcohol and show them what right and wrong what we drank is moderation, not immoderation.

:confused:

Who said anything about adults drinking in front of their children, This thread is about "Should children be allowed to drink alcohol at home". I don't care what you do as an adult because you are legal to drink, children are not. Big differences Liebling.

What does this have to do with children? Let's not go off topic.

The Highlander´s question is not :topic: Its about us parents who are wine lover...

His question is because the children look at their parent´s role how to respect the alcohol and drink moderately. Should the parents give up their favorite wine up and hide it from their children? Nope, its about open and trust communication, the children have the right to know what we parents are and what we love... My children knows we are wine lover... So? They look at us... So? We educate our children to not abuse alcohol. We have no problem to let our children to drink alcohol in our house if they want to. I have a lot of wines in basement. I do not lock basement door to protect my children... Its about trust in family... My children never touch it and often went to basement to have execrise and ignore alcohol because it doesn´t bother them since they are being raised to know what alcohol is about which is good thing. They are not interesting after their several experiement their curiousity.

The Highlander´s question is not :topic: Its about us parents who are wine lover...

Your question did not asked anything about parents only children. So only those who are wine lovers are allow to post? :confused: then I guess I better not post anymore because I'm not a wine lover.

:confused:

Who said anything about adults drinking in front of their children, This thread is about "Should children be allowed to drink alcohol at home". I don't care what you do as an adult because you are legal to drink, children are not. Big differences Liebling.

Don´t you think the parents just give their children an alcohol without right education? :dizzy:

Don´t you read the link, I provided in my first thread and also vote including as well?

Its about parental education how to expose the children to respect the alcohol... that´s how the parents drink alcohol moderately front of the children... They look at their parent´s role and learn from them what it is about.

Your question did not asked anything about parents only children. So only those who are wine lovers are allow to post? :confused: then I guess I better not post anymore because I'm not a wine lover.

:confused: I am not saying that you are not allow to post here because you are not wine lover or whatever but explain you the example why Highlight ask you the question about.

I only explain you the example about the parents who are wine lover or like to drink alcohol like everyone front of the children.

Vote NO.

Not want watch my children become an alcohol.

Simple Parent could take kids out to vacations and keep them busy! :eek:

Vote NO.

Not want watch my children become an alcohol.

Simple Parent could take kids out to vacations and keep them busy! :eek:

Do you mean that the parents should take children to vacations every month, everyday or what? Some parents have no money to take their children to vacation often but expose them sports, etc. Its parent´s job to expose the children with form of positive discipline.

Expose children in home to respect in positive way then take them to vacation all the time. I only take my children to vacation once a year and some outing trips.

Do you mean that the parents should take children to vacations every month, everyday or what? Some parents have no money to take their children to vacation often but expose them sports, etc. Its parent´s job to expose the children with form of positive discipline.

Expose children in home to respect in positive way then take them to vacation all the time. I only take my children to vacation once a year and some outing trips.

Yep and Homework, read book, chores/ clean the house etc..

Long time ago, My best hearing friend and I grew up my neighbor. My mom isn't strict with me at all.. I was sneaking to drink, smoke pot and parties all the time every weekend... But My friend do not because Her parent is nasty strict with her to education, chores, spend with family cook out, swim, games their homes.

I remember that My best friend must home by before dinner as same on weekend also summer too !~ she must read books and homeworks plus they provide more homework for her too :eek: I said Thank god they re not my parent! And My best friend wish that My mom is her daughter!

Now......

My close friend said she is very felicitous life and thankfully with her parent who strict with her because she is very satisfied in her successful career job and her house is worth 2 million dollar!!!! she is only 37 years old! :):):):)

Like what PuyoPiyo said is enough but I would to add bit.

If the parents didn't teach the children to respect the alcohol then they would end wrong path because they thought alochol is the fun which is not.
Not all. There are plenty of kids who grow up in non-drinking homes, and they don't become alcoholics or binge drinkers.

If we do not drink alcohol moderately front of my children or not teach them to respect alochol then they will end into wrong path thru peers...
That's not a factual statement about all children.

It also depends on the peers. Some kids actually hang out with good peers.

Yes, it's not just stove but 2 fire-places, candles, etc. I taught my children to not touch because they are too hot but I know it doesn't help because they are stubborn curious so I lit a candle and show my toddlers and told them that it's Occchhh hot.... I point my finger near the candle and feeling it's hot... Ouuccchhhh it's hot... They were like not beleive in me and point their finger and feeling it's hot when their finger goes near and near the candle... Oouuccchhh... They know now it's hot...
:eek3: Call DSS!

I allow my boys to read about addiction and TV that's and how the people killed by drug overdose because they have the right to know what it is about. I taught them about drugs, etc. I opened my boys about my sister until they saw themselves that my sister died of drug overdose last year.
But do you allow them to use drugs in your home? Why not? Isn't it better for them to learn how to use drugs in your home? If they can drink alcohol, why can't they use drugs? If you don't allow drugs in your home, won't your boys be curious and go out and try them with their peers?

That's the same excuse for alcohol.

Honestly, we have no experience like this here in Germany.
Really? German dogs are different from American dogs? German dogs don't bite?

...Here in Germany is very strict... We adult and children must stay and wait until the traffic light tell us to walk... I taught my children to wait until the Green light said "Walking" then we walk... If the Red stop said "Don't walk" then we wait. If police sees us ignore the traffic light then we pay penalty fine. Its about children protection.
Again, you miss the point.

If you can strictly teach your children not to play in traffic, and expect them to obey, why can't you strictly teach your children not to drink and expect them to obey?

Oh yes, my 9 years old sister taught me how to smoke when I was 10 years old and don't like it...
That's not the same as a parent teaching a child to smoke.

Oh yes, my boys experienced smoking out of curiousity at 2 years ago. Should I angry with them for that? No, I educated them positive ... If I punish my boys for that and scream to them "Don't do that again" then they will ignore it because they don't know what it is about because it's just because we are angry and said "Do not that again"... and end to addict smoking more and more...
I never said anything about screaming at them. You keep missing the point.

So, you allow them to smoke in your home? If they can drink at home, why can't they smoke at home? If you don't let them smoke at home, they'll rebel and smoke with their friends, right?

Again, PuyoPiyo said is correct. Thats' why I got my boys sports and go out bit often than stick front of the computer or watch on TV... Sports helps to rid of aggressive.
I guess you don't know what huffing is. It has nothing to do with sports or aggression.

Depend on parental's form of discipline how to expose the children to disobey and rebel like this. That's why I am for open communication and listen.
It also depends on the free will of the child. No matter how "perfectly" parents train their children, some children will still rebel. It's in their nature.

Well, the law is for public only, not at parent's house. :)

I taught my children to respect/obey public law and respect/obey my house rule.

This is a difference.
:eek3: Wow, you don't see the hypocrisy and rebelliousness of that?

I thought in previous threads you stated that you always obeyed the laws of Germany. But now you post that it's OK to pick and choose which laws to obey.

There's nothing more I can say to that. I'm speechless. :-o

What does this have to do with children? Let's not go off topic.

This topic about alcohol that's part of wine. I can tell you don't drink wine then you have no idea what you talk about!

How funny you think children and wine are bad which u don't drink wine so much. Just go to Europe and learn. I never heard people get AA from wines. That's silly. Please show me where get the info about people who get AA from wines? You know it's pretty rare than beer and vodka.

Last edited:
Back