Should children be allowed to drink alcohol at home?

Should children be allowed to drink alcohol at home?

• Yes

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 37 66.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
I understand that there is a different cultural perspective about drinking alcohol.

Regardless of that, the chemistry of alcohol, and its impact on human physiology, goes beyond cultural limits. Alcohol can destroy brain cells and livers, depress the nervous system, and cause fetal alcohol syndrome, any place in the world.

You're confusing the medical condition of depression with the chemical effects of alcohol which is a depressant.

Here is the definition:

"Alcohol is a depressant drug. Depressant drugs slow down the activity of the central nervous system."

A-Z Health Topics >> Alcohol

Well, the alcohol is not right for the people who suffer mental illness because it could lead social problems and also psychiatric problems as well.

As long as you are healthy and drink moderately then is great. Wines are good health only if you drink moderately. (one or two glass of wine a day is enough). I drank wine at some weekends.

I understand that there is a different cultural perspective about drinking alcohol.

Regardless of that, the chemistry of alcohol, and its impact on human physiology, goes beyond cultural limits. Alcohol can destroy brain cells and livers, depress the nervous system, and cause fetal alcohol syndrome, any place in the world.

It´s bad if you drink alcohol immoderately.

Well, the alcohol is not right for the people who suffer mental illness because it could lead social problems and also psychiatric problems as well.

As long as you are healthy and drink moderately then is great. Wines are good health only if you drink moderately. (one or two glass of wine a day is enough). I drank wine at some weekends.
Alcohol depresses the central nervous system of every person, not just people with mental or social problems. It's a chemical reaction that effects healthy, well-adjusted people, too.

I'm just explaining the actual effects of alcohol on the body.

Alcohol's Properties

Alcohol is a general term denoting a family of organic chemicals with common properties. Members of this family include ethanol, methanol, isopropanol, and others. This introduction discusses the physical, chemical, and physiological aspects of the most commonly ingested of these - ethanol.

Alcohol (ethanol) is a clear, volatile liquid that burns (oxidizes) easily. It has a slight, characteristic odor and is very soluble in water. Alcohol is an organic compound composed of carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen; its chemical formula is C2H5OH.

Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant and it is the central nervous system which is the bodily system that is most severely affected by alcohol (see chart below). The degree to which the central nervous system function is impaired is directly proportional to the concentration of alcohol in the blood2.

When ingested, alcohol passes from the stomach into the small intestine, where it is rapidly absorbed into the blood and distributed throughout the body. Because it is distributed so quickly and thoroughly the alcohol can affect the central nervous system even in small concentrations. In low concentrations, alcohol reduces inhibitions. As blood alcohol concentration increases, a person's response to stimuli decreases markedly, speech becomes slurred, and he or she becomes unsteady and has trouble walking. With very high concentrations - greater than 0.35 grams/100 milliliters of blood (equivalent to 0.35 grams/210 liters of breath ) - a person can become comatose and die. The American Medical Association has defined the blood alcohol concentration level of impairment for all people to be 0.04 grams/100 milliliters of blood (equivalent to .04 grams/210 liters of breath). The following is a generally accepted guide to the effects of alcohol....

Physiology / Alcohol and the Human Body / Alcohol Properties

Alcohol depresses the central nervous system of every person, not just people with mental or social problems. It's a chemical reaction that effects healthy, well-adjusted people, too.

I'm just explaining the actual effects of alcohol on the body.

It seems that the word "depressant" is being taken out of context. In medical terminiology, the words "depressant" and "stimulant" has different meanings that does not have either positive nor negative implications behind it. Sometimes some medicines are needed to "depress" the cardiac output to make it stop beating too fast, or some medicine are used to "stimulate" the cardiac output to make it not beat too low. I think you are trying to use these words to your own advantage.

Doctors do recommend to people to drink some wine sometimes. But doctors will never tell people to drink a whole bottle a day. Moderate drinking such as one or two glasses is just fine and won't depress the nervous system too much.

Back to the topic, it is a pesky subject to allow children to drink alcohol. A child's body is a lot smaller than an adult's body, so the tolerance towards alcohol is a lot less. One would have to be very careful when allowing a child to drink alcohol. Maybe not a full glass of wine, but perhaps a lot less like 1/2 cup or so. Or go with a weaker alcohol.

It is true that in France they do include wine on the dinner table for children, but these table wines are usually very weak and not drunk very much. Sometimes these table wines are nasty and the kids would prefer to drink something else. I remember from my childhood thinking that wine tasted nasty and would rather to drink cocacola.

Even though I don't care for alcohol or drink it or even care if alcohol didn't exist, I voted yes.

I think when an educated parent is around, you should let them sip it so they know what the hell it is. They also will see how you act around it. I was curious as a child, and I would sip them. My mom would even offer me a sip, and I would say, no, because the smell of it was nasty. I never liked alcohol. I don't care for it. The only time I drink it is when I drink eggnog at christmas or if it's in cake or candies. I don't care for it.

I think alcohol should never be made in my opinon. I think it's nasty and useless.

Website from Europe as I born there. I voted yes. Good for them to learn. I drink when I was very young as under 10, I think and I have no problem with drink for now.

Most of my friends who start drink 18-20 age and out of control. That's how many students drop off from college due drunk too much from party.

You don't see why American have more DUI than Europe?

Well, to some degree that's because American kids have more access to automobiles. It's an American right of passage to get your first car at age 16 or 18. It's not as important in most European countries (for a variety of reasons).

I vote yes.. Why?

i have my young sister (two and a half years apart)..

I did not remember when she was starting to smoke but at young age, probably preteen or in a teen age. My mom did not allow us to drink anything is relative to drug types, but i'm still drug free and she is still not.

She was easily rebelled against my mom's words because she just wanted to try it. Fortunately, she did not drunk a lot but is still smoking. I am so glad that she learned how to handle it and to understand what's the importance: safety. She was only drunk a few times because of her friends made so sure my sister did not do anything stupid. I think. Really, I don't know what is her dark history of her own drugs because she never share with me about her own experiences. Especially, my family. What she had done? She stepped back once year in her high school that she was supposed to graduate this summer (2007). She lost her driver linecse which was due to her grade failure. She transformed in maany different schools, i dont know how many, and her some personal reasons.. But, again, I don't know her history because I maybe am wrong..

Well, it's the same thing with my own anti-self experience because I refused to share with my family and still never will. *sighs* I never share with my family about my sleeping habit and have a "major" depressing, either.

Because... my family is not opened-mind with us, inculding me (yes, im not open-minded with them).. For an explain... MY family is heavy pro-choice but there is only one pro-life is me. I refused to share with them because they will just upset at me. So, I have to pretend to be i'm pro-netural.

I am now sad, a bit of tear, beause I realized how importance is trusting, be open-minded with my family, and show a repect. I think I know why my family is not get along. Because my mom and sister used to not get along pretty well until three years ago, they finally get along. Well... what's surprise me is... my grandmother never told my mom about period until my mom was found out when she was 15. Because my grandparent was not so open-minded with their children either... There are more personal reasons in my family history.

I was more hurting when i read naturalists (?) in a thread somewhere else and this thread. However... still.. I am very glad I now know. Thank you, Libling, Puyo, and others for sharing your experiences. I do really mean that.

I'm sorry if it's off-topic post a bit.. :[ i'm kinda of down but, at the same time that i'm glad. :(:)

Last edited:
I vote yes.. Why?

i have my young sister (two and a half years apart)..

I did not remember when she was starting to smoke but at young age, probably preteen or in a teen age. My mom did not allow us to drink anything is relative to drug types, but i'm still drug free and she is still not.

She was easily rebelled against my mom's words because she just wanted to try it. Fortunately, she did not drunk a lot but is still smoking. I am so glad that she learned how to handle it and to understand what's the importance: safety. She was only drunk a few times because of her friends made so sure my sister did not do anything stupid. I think. Really, I don't know what is her dark history of her own drugs because she never share with me about her own experiences. Especially, my family. What she had done? She stepped back once year in her high school that she was supposed to graduate this summer (2007). She lost her driver linecse which was due to her grade failure. She transformed in maany different schools, i dont know how many, and her some personal reasons.. But, again, I don't know her history because I maybe am wrong..

Well, it's the same thing with my own anti-self experience because I refused to share with my family and still never will. *sighs* I never share with my family about my sleeping habit and have a "major" depressing, either.

Because... my family is not opened-mind with us, inculding me (yes, im not open-minded with them).. For an explain... MY family is heavy pro-choice but there is only one pro-life is me. I refused to share with them because they will just upset at me. So, I have to pretend to be i'm pro-netural.

I am now sad, a bit of tear, beause I realized how importance is trusting, be open-minded with my family, and show a repect. I think I know why my family is not get along. Because my mom and sister used to not get along pretty well until three years ago, they finally get along. Well... what's surprise me is... my grandmother never told my mom about period until my mom was found out when she was 15. Because my grandparent was not so open-minded with their children either... There are more personal reasons in my family history.

I was more hurting when i read naturalists (?) in a thread somewhere else.. Now, I read this thread. However... still.. I am very glad I now know. Thank you, Libling, Puyo, and others for sharing your experiences. I do really mean that.

I'm sorry if it's off-topic post a bit.. :[ i'm kinda of down but, at the same time that i'm glad. :(:)

Aww no problem, Mann_K05 :) I still remember you told me about your sister's background, not alot but some, and I can see how your sister drinks, I still remember I drank with your sister, and I was having good time with her, without the drama or overdosed or anything.

I have to agree with you, closed-mind people cause more problem compare to opened-mind people...

I vote no. We do have PA laws and it is very strict. No one can afford DUI here anymore nowadays. And with DUI, your auto insurance can go sky rocket here. No one can afford it, just stay home and drink. It is simple. My brother is scarred for life because of drinking and driving. If you want to drink, be responsible...just don't drink and drive please... I do drink once awhile, but I am never on the road...

Aww no problem, Mann_K05 :) I still remember you told me about your sister's background, not alot but some, and I can see how your sister drinks, I still remember I drank with your sister, and I was having good time with her, without the drama or overdosed or anything.

I have to agree with you, closed-mind people cause more problem compare to opened-mind people...

I am glad you had a good time with her. :) Cos of her friends helped her, I think.

Yes.. I realized why is the reason to be opened-minded with who. Personally, I'd rather to share with my friends instead of my family... I can't help it.

I vote no. We do have PA laws and it is very strict. No one can afford DUI here anymore nowadays. And with DUI, your auto insurance can go sky rocket here. No one can afford it, just stay home and drink. It is simple. My brother is scarred for life because of drinking and driving. If you want to drink, be responsible...just don't drink and drive please... I do drink once awhile, but I am never on the road...

The topic is about alcohol for children...what do you think of that? You already voted, tho....lol

I voted no because it's not good for kids for many good reasons. It's not worth to get in trouble with the law. The world is full of chaos.

I voted no. Because it's not good for children to drink alcohol at home. They can get into trouble with school and poor grades. They're not mature to drink.

But I did taste the beer since I asked my dad's beer what it taste like?? He said just taste and don't drink whole of beer. I said ok. I tasted it. It was nasty and didn't like it. It was happened when I was 8. Until I was 16. My old best friend had a bad influenced me to get drunk. My mom wasn't allow me to drink and drunk. When I was 18. My mom let me drank a champagne during Y2K New Year Eve. I didn't get drunk at all.

Some bad parents doesn't care about underage drinks.

Nope. My dad was an alcoholic (he bought a case of champagne each week, in addition to other hard liquor), so there was plenty of it around. But I never sampled it. He occasionally offered me a sip of his Tia Maria when I was a teen but that's about it.

Perhaps that is because, as the child of an alcoholic, the tee-totaler role was the one you took on. The family dynamics in an alcoholic family are very complicated, and quite often contribute to the continuation of the alcoholism.

The fact of the matter is, the rates of alcoholism are much greater in the U.S. than in Europe. Genetics cannot explain the difference. Social and cultural reasons can. And, part of that socio-cultural basis is that European children are taught to use alcohol responsibly from an early age.

I voted no. Because it's not good for children to drink alcohol at home. They can get into trouble with school and poor grades. They're not mature to drink.

But I did taste the beer since I asked my dad's beer what it taste like?? He said just taste and don't drink whole of beer. I said ok. I tasted it. It was nasty and didn't like it. It was happened when I was 8. Until I was 16. My old best friend had a bad influenced me to get drunk. My mom wasn't allow me to drink and drunk. When I was 18. My mom let me drank a champagne during Y2K New Year Eve. I didn't get drunk at all.

Some bad parents doesn't care about underage drinks.

Actually, poor school performance and bad behavior is not caused by alcohol, or any other drug, for that matter. If you will look at the research, the children who using drugs and alcohol actually were engaging in problem behavior before they ever took their first drink or used their first drug.

Here's what read about in the news....

Parents cited as enablers of underage drinkers | www.azstarnet.com ®

Curious, have you as teenager looked in the fridge and swiped the booze?

I did swipe booze from my dad's liquor cabinet when I was 12 years old but I lost interest after a while. It was the high school parties that got me started drinking irresponsibility, not my parents' liquor at home.

Now, I have learned from my lessons and only drink my favorite Smirdoff Ice or wine once or twice a week. I have no desire to get wasted again.

Back