Should ASL be reserve to culturally Deaf people only?

The first time I've heard of notetaker was when I went to college. But it was a joke because no one volunteered. I still ended up taking my own notes and study for myself. Acccounting was the easiest to self study.

We had student note takers in college too, and, you're right. It's a joke.

I had notetakers when I went to school, starting at the junior high level.

Yes, if we also had teachers that wrote alot on the board, that was a plus. Fortunately some teachers were just that way naturally regardless of whether or not they had a deaf child in the classroom.

Why have notetakes when you could have ASL and be involved with what's goiing on without missing a beat? I have experienced it all...oral-only with no notetakes, terps, oral-only with notetakers and an oral terp, then CART only, then ASL terp to a classroom where everyone used ASL. Out of all, the last one was the most accessible.

I needed notetakers because I couldn't write and look at the interpreter at the same time...if the instructor was using ASL, I still needed notes to study later. Especially in my History classes.

Some of the instructors let me videotape the interpreter during class, which I could use the tape and did my own notes. The interpreters didn't like that too much, which is understandable. Other instructors gave me a copy of their lectures or their own notes (which was way better than notes from a student).

my husband has notetakers in college but I don't think he thought it was very useful.

Why have notetakes when you could have ASL and be involved with what's goiing on without missing a beat? I have experienced it all...oral-only with no notetakes, terps, oral-only with notetakers and an oral terp, then CART only, then ASL terp to a classroom where everyone used ASL. Out of all, the last one was the most accessible.

I had none of those either. I just sat in class like a little hearing student.

Why is your way better than his? If he prefers one accomodation, why do you think yours is better?

I took notes when I was at Gallaudet. I ignored many of the teacher's signing and just concentrated on their voice. Of course, I had more hearing teachers in class that signed than Deaf teachers who out of habit used their voice when signing (or mouthed the words extensively). Good thing, too. Otherwise, I think I'd have a right to request for a note-taker early on.

I had none of those either. I just sat in class like a little hearing student.

Same. I had notetakers, but it is so totally not the same as being in class understanding everything that's going on. Notetakers don't get it all written down. I spent every class sitting like a cute little hearing (but looking dumb) student.

Being in a class where I could have used ASL and being involved, right there, student interaction, that would totally have made a difference. Why be stuck with the "hand-me-downs" from a notetaker?

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not knocking notetakers -- they are definitely better than having nothing. But it really isn't the same. I can't count the number of times that, when in classes with an interpreter (vs. classes without one), I had teachers that would say "take note of this ... this WILL be on your test." What do you do if your notetaker doesn't write that down? We get it wrong on the test. Happened too many times.

Same. I had notetakers, but it is so totally not the same as being in class understanding everything that's going on. Notetakers don't get it all written down. I spent every class sitting like a cute little hearing (but looking dumb) student.

Being in a class where I could have used ASL and being involved, right there, student interaction, that would totally have made a difference. Why be stuck with the "hand-me-downs" from a notetaker?

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not knocking notetakers -- they are definitely better than having nothing. But it really isn't the same. I can't count the number of times that, when in classes with an interpreter (vs. classes without one), I had teachers that would say "take note of this ... this WILL be on your test." What do you do if your notetaker doesn't write that down? We get it wrong on the test. Happened too many times.

Also, while I was missing out what was being said in class, I would review my notes but a lot of times, I got stuck on some concepts or information because of no background info on them.

In the classroom with everyone using ASL, I was actually learning instead of memorizing.

Also, while I was missing out what was being said in class, I would review my notes but a lot of times, I got stuck on some concepts or information because of no background info on them.

In the classroom with everyone using ASL, I was actually learning instead of memorizing.

If it is in a deaf classroom with ASL and copy on notes from the blackboard when the teacher is not signing. That would be better. But when it comes to hearing college, it is hard to copy the notes from the blackboard while trying to read ASL from the interpreter as long as the hearing teacher kept on talking and not let us pause so we can make notes from the blackboard. :dunno:

If it is in a deaf classroom with ASL and copy on notes from the blackboard when the teacher is not signing. That would be better. But when it comes to hearing college, it is hard to copy the notes from the blackboard while trying to read ASL from the interpreter as long as the hearing teacher kept on talking and not let us pause so we can make notes from the blackboard. :dunno:

definitely.

When I took calculus in college, None of the hearing student nor I would not be able to learn it without visual instructions. It got really hard when the teacher turning his back to the blackboard. I tried so hard to make sense of how he got the answers from the blackboards and textbooks alone. If I had a ASL interpreter or CART in a hearing class, it would have been harder.

I failed that class. should have gotten a tutor.

A deaf student in the mainstream classroom often misses a lot of peripheral communication. Even a child with the CI is going to miss SOME things unless they have accomodations. The oralists tout that the CI gives the deaf the ability to hear. OK, but, I have a question... If this were 100% true in every situation, why then the need for things like CART and the FM system that is often used in the educational setting?
And the CI does offer access to hearing, but NOT hearing person hearing. At best, it is HOH level hearing.....and I mean the booth testing isn't really all that accurate since it's best aided conditions, as well as the fact that audis and the voice on the tape tend to be "professional speaker" quality. Most people don't speak in a professional speaker way.

And the CI does offer access to hearing, but NOT hearing person hearing. At best, it is HOH level hearing.....and I mean the booth testing isn't really all that accurate since it's best aided conditions, as well as the fact that audis and the voice on the tape tend to be "professional speaker" quality. Most people don't speak in a professional speaker way.

naturally, even people on average don't speak normally as they do around deaf people. Except when you are in a group circle and they are talking to each other, but at you, it's usually different.

The first time I've heard of notetaker was when I went to college. But it was a joke because no one volunteered. I still ended up taking my own notes and study for myself. Acccounting was the easiest to self study.
Sorry to hear that. I had some very nice and efficient ones. It was nice having some of the nice or pretty ladies sitting next to me, grin. As a matter of fact, I'm still friends with some of them to this day. :)

Sorry to hear that. I had some very nice and efficient ones. It was nice having some of the nice or pretty ladies sitting next to me, grin. As a matter of fact, I'm still friends with some of them to this day. :)

Whoo Hoooo!!!! You had some "hotties" sitting next to you just because they were your note takers! high five to you, you go dog!

Nice attempt at a brag post. This is the second time you spewed this.

I know.

That alone is an audist post.

If that is so, and a deaf person doesn't have the right to express a preference for a notetaker over ASL interpreter in a given situation, you've effectively turned the concept of audism into utter nonsense.

Back