Should ASL be reserve to culturally Deaf people only?

If that is so, and a deaf person doesn't have the right to express a preference for a notetaker over ASL interpreter in a given situation, you've effectively turned the concept of audism into utter nonsense.

He was after hot girls

Notetaking was just his form of pickup line

;)

Who said that nobody has a right to express their preferences for notetakers or CARTs?

Notetakers were worthless for me. The lecture should be printed out and everyone gets the same info.

If that is so, and a deaf person doesn't have the right to express a preference for a notetaker over ASL interpreter in a given situation, you've effectively turned the concept of audism into utter nonsense.

Yes, it's about choice. If a person feels more comfortable in using a note-taker over an ASL interpreter for whatever reason then more power to him or her. This is about choice here.

In the classroom with everyone using ASL, I was actually learning instead of memorizing
GOOD POINT!!!!! Dhh kids don't have to work so hard to aquire actual CONTENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's exactly like how for most of school, I was forced to manunally write (I have poor fine motor due to hypotonia, sort of like mild CP) I can manually write. But it takes me a SUPER long time. I was spending all my energy on actually writing, rather then producing content. When I learned how to type, I started getting in stuff on time and actually producing CONTENT!!!

Again, my point was missed. Thats alright.

Again, my point was missed. Thats alright.

No, I get it, you wanted to yell "audist!" in a crowded forum.

FJ is an easy target because people keep trying to paint her as the enemy, an "oral-only-ist." She isn't.

Surprisingly, for someone who advises hearing parents to listen to the deaf experience, you don't follow your own advice. I think what many here are really saying isn't listen to the deaf, but "listen only to my deaf experience, disregard any other deaf out there.

No, I get it, you wanted to yell "audist!" in a crowded forum.

FJ is an easy target because people keep trying to paint her as the enemy, an "oral-only-ist." She isn't.

Surprisingly, for someone who advises hearing parents to listen to the deaf experience, you don't follow your own advice. I think what many here are really saying isn't listen to the deaf, but "listen only to my deaf experience, disregard any other deaf out there.

*shrug* okay, keep defending her. I'm not going to waste time and energy explaining my perspective - I'll just call it as i see it from now on.

FJ isn't spouting an "oral-only" approach nor has she supported that concept for her child. She made it clear on what she support.

I think what many here are really saying isn't listen to the deaf, but "listen only to my deaf experience, disregard any other deaf out there.
Not exactly.
I think this is more like the clash you see in social science theory. Parents should talk to a variety of dhh people from a variety of backgrounds. But, it also seems like a lot of oral only/mainstream as solotaire advocates seem to be pro oral simply b/c they buy into the myth that oral only /solotaire mainstreaming =much better education. There are kids who do amazingly well orally (and who don't identify with Deaf culture) In other words they are "almost hearing" But even with a pure oral upbringing, a lot of dhh as kids still strongly idneitfy as pretty much "almost Deaf"

The first time I've heard of notetaker was when I went to college. But it was a joke because no one volunteered. I still ended up taking my own notes and study for myself. Acccounting was the easiest to self study.

There are too many problems with the concept of a notetaker, especially since most schools just ask another student to volunteer to share their notes. A deaf student needs a notetaker that is familiar with the subject and can take notes just for them the way they need them taken. Just like a terp, they should be clarifying terms and phrasing in a way the deaf person is likely to understand. A student who is taking the course for the first time has no more understanding than the deaf student does. That is not proper accommodation.

Notetakers were worthless for me. The lecture should be printed out and everyone gets the same info.

I recommend that the professor's lecture be turned into a powerpoint presentation, then that be printed out on a notes page printout, and the notetaker use that for taking notes relevent to each slide.

Sorry to hear that. I had some very nice and efficient ones. It was nice having some of the nice or pretty ladies sitting next to me, grin. As a matter of fact, I'm still friends with some of them to this day. :)

Shouldn't that go into the "using your deafness to your advantage" thread?:lol:

FJ isn't spouting an "oral-only" approach nor has she supported that concept for her child. She made it clear on what she support.

She most definately supports oral only education and sees a CI as the first approach to deafness. By her own admission.

Back