Should ASL be reserve to culturally Deaf people only?

Yes, and that is why we choose to avoid all the things that deaf people complain about their therapies.

The only way you can do that is to actually sit through all the therapy sessions with your child. My therapists were invariably nice as angels with my parents but mean as devils alone with me.

The only way you can do that is to actually sit through all the therapy sessions with your child. My therapists were invariably nice as angels with my parents but mean as devils alone with me.

AV therapy requires that parents are in the room, and involved in the therapy session.

Yes, and that is why we choose to avoid all the things that deaf people complain about their therapies.

:hmm: What about the things they complain about in an educational environment? And how exactly do you define "avoid".

I know someone who was repeatedly sexually molested as a child by her SLP.

:hmm: What about the things they complain about in an educational environment? And how exactly do you define "avoid".

Yes, I avoid them as well. People complain that:

They didn't have access to professionals that understand deafness.....check
That they didn't have access to other children who were deaf...........check
That they had to lipread their teachers all day................................check
That they didn't have access to ASL.............................................check
That they struggled to have full communication with their family.........check

Good point. Parents can't accompany their kids to school and supervise things all day long. It's not practical.

That they had to lipread their teachers all day................................check
That they didn't have access to ASL.............................................check

What about making sure she understand that she doesn't need a full hearing to make her feel completed.

She is in an oral environment in school, isn't she? She doesn't have access to ASL in an educational environment, in that case. And she, no doubt, is relying on more speech reading than you think she is. As for the others...:hmm:

Only if it is part of a parent / infant EI program.

No, not at all. If the parent is not involved, it is not AV therapy. They may be using AV principles, but it is not AV therapy unless they are coaching the parents.

No, not at all. If the parent is not involved, it is not AV therapy. They may be using AV principles, but it is not AV therapy unless they are coaching the parents.

I think you are mistaken about that. Parental inclusion in the therapy session itself is not mandatory in AV therapy.

But, let's see...so you are saying that everytime your daughter has a therapy session at school, you and your husband are present for it?

She is in an oral environment in school, isn't she? She doesn't have access to ASL in an educational environment, in that case. And she, no doubt, is relying on more speech reading than you think she is. As for the others...:hmm:

My daughter has had extensive speech discrimination, I am well aware of what she hears and understands.

She does have access to ASL, as I told you before. She has ASL tutoring and preteaching.

I think you are mistaken about that. Parental inclusion in the therapy session itself is not mandatory in AV therapy.

But, let's see...so you are saying that everytime your daughter has a therapy session at school, you and your husband are present for it?

Yes. It is called Parent Child Therapy. One of us is required to be there.

What about making sure she understand that she doesn't need a full hearing to make her feel completed.

She knows she is deaf, she is proud to be Deaf. She loves ASL and speaking. She knows that Mom and Dad are hearing, but she is deaf and lots of people are deaf. We encourage her to express herself and her needs.....we just keep working on it.

I think one of the biggest issues that I see here on AD is that deaf people are so tired and worn out from hearing stuff like "I want my child to speak." "I don't want my child to learn sign", etc. This causes sort of an "automated" attack on anyone who even utters the word "speech". However, it seems like people here generally are not opposed to having oral skills, just not at the expense of ASL.

There is one problem. People here can tell you EXACTLY how to gain ASL fluency. Go to a deaf school, parents learn sign, be part of the deaf community, and so on. People can even suggest exact classes! However, when oral skills come up, people keep their mouths shut on how exactly they could develop. I suspect people are afraid of being attacked or they are afraid that if they make a suggestion, parents will take it too seriously and "hyperfocus" on their speech.

Scaredy cats.

I am happy to have oral skills. You have seen me use them in NYC.

However, I am NOT happy to being restricted to the oral-only method.

Back