Powerful Winter Storm to hit the Northeastern states

The snow is higher than my dog , he could get lost in a snow bank. I better not let walk him on a snow bank , he could fall right through and be over his little head. :(

I plowed once this morning with my tractor -- snow was literally coming over the top of my plow. drove all day in this crap and i cant believe how many people are in the ditches today or smacked into another car or rail. Its like common sense went out off the window and reflexes of motorist dulled big time. gonna wait till tomorrow to plow again.

Just came in from shoveling the snow and as soon as I shoveled, about a trace already covered up the sidewalks. It is really coming down fast. This was a surprise for us as it was predicted just to have freezing rain for us. Very nice and powdery snow so that's good.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone)

In the words of the NWS:

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM CST /5 PM EST/ FRIDAY TO 9 AM CST /10 AM EST/ SATURDAY ...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW ...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM CST FRIDAY TO 9 AM CST SATURDAY.

* TIMING ...BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW BEGINNING FRIDAY AFTERNOON. CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WITH BLIZZARD LIKE CONDITIONS FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS ...WINDS SHIFT TO THE SOUTH FRIDAY MORNING WITH SPEEDS APPROACHING 20 TO 25 MPH AND GUSTS NEAR 35 MPH. THIS WILL CREATE CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW WITH VISIBILITIES REDUCED TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES ...MAINLY IN OPEN AND RURAL AREAS.

Not a great way to start this weekend.

It took me two hours to get home and I'm glad I gave my notice that I would not be in tomorrow - I'll be shocked if my agency opens, but I wouldn't put it past them. I'm staying off the roads. We're hearing my area may get 18" of snow. I think it's BS myself but whatever -it's enough to cause dangerous driving conditions. Let's see what develops after midnight.....

Laura

It took me two hours to get home and I'm glad I gave my notice that I would not be in tomorrow - I'll be shocked if my agency opens, but I wouldn't put it past them. I'm staying off the roads. We're hearing my area may get 18" of snow. I think it's BS myself but whatever -it's enough to cause dangerous driving conditions. Let's see what develops after midnight.....

Laura

Well, this area has already gotten 7+ so far, and this weekend will see who knows how many more. I'm keeping an eye on that from tonight through Friday afternoon. After that, I'm staying inside.

Dude, here in Indy its already got 7 inches. The snowfall has stopped now but its drifting. The temp is at 9 now, hovering at 0 to -5 with wind chills. Man, the bigger one is coming on Sunday. They are saying potential 10 inches of snowfall with temp of -14 (-30ish wind chill) on monday and tuesday. I don't mind the snow but not the wind chills! Not cool. :-/

Dude, here in Indy its already got 7 inches. The snowfall has stopped now but its drifting. The temp is at 9 now, hovering at 0 to -5 with wind chills. Man, the bigger one is coming on Sunday. They are saying potential 10 inches of snowfall with temp of -14 (-30ish wind chill) on monday and tuesday. I don't mind the snow but not the wind chills! Not cool. :-/

It's 3 here now, and on Monday, the high will be -8, and the low will be -15, and I'm keeping an eye on that, and Tuesday overnight will be -13, so dangerously chilly, for sure.

It's 3 here now, and on Monday, the high will be -8, and the low will be -15, and I'm keeping an eye on that, and Tuesday overnight will be -13, so dangerously chilly, for sure.

Yeah, its probably going to send everyone in a frenzy. Its been a long while since it has dropped this low. Stay warm, man.

Yeah, its probably going to send everyone in a frenzy. Its been a long while since it has dropped this low. Stay warm, man.

I'm seeing that already here. People are gonna want to stock up before the big one, and I probably should, too. I have less than 24 hours before it gets here.

I guess if power goes out, you can boil water in your fireplace then make top romain. You could eat for very cheap.

We have a no burn in our community....mean no fires in our fireplaces. I miss that.

I guess if power goes out, you can boil water in your fireplace then make top romain. You could eat for very cheap.

We have a no burn in our community....mean no fires in our fireplaces. I miss that.

I'm mainly going to be buying dry foods, and drinks to last up to 2 weeks, because it may take a while before I can go out again.

The snow is all crunchy, and with these temps (it's -2 outside), it's showing signs of turning into ice. Good thing I elected to go shopping early today. That'll save me a bunch later on.

Frisky Feline said:
-8 degrees here sucks![/b]

Well guess what? The temps just plummeted to -8, and counting. Wish I didn't have to go food shopping this morning.

And this Saturday is supposed to be -12 during the day, and -1 during the overnight hours. Sunday says it's supposed to be -26 during the day and -11 overnight. Monday says it'll be -24 during the day, and -21 overnight. Tuesday is -19 during the day, and -17 during the overnight.

Last edited:
My whole city is shut down , the city hall and COA is closed and MOW ,
meals on wheels are not being delivered to homebound people . Some elderly people only see one person all day and that is the person delivering MOW, that person can made sure their client is OK and has heat or has not fallen on the floor over night. I tried calling the COA , health department and no picked up. I call the fire department business # and they can't do anything until there is an emergency . MOW use to bring more than one meal if they knew a huge storm was coming , I do not know if they do this anymore.
I just hope there is not some elderly person with no heat and food during this storm. I use to be a health aide and I had a client that fell during the night and was not found until the morning, her DR. said she could has dies if she was not found on time. This so upsetting to me knowing people will not being getting a hot meal today, CRAP I gone out in worst weather than this to take care of my clients.

Back