Powerful Winter Storm to hit the Northeastern states

I have never been in anything close to what some of you are experiencing. Please stay safe, check on your neighbors and stay warm.

My hubby was just telling me it is freezing out while walking my dog. It's 43 degrees.

I have never been in anything close to what some of you are experiencing. Please stay safe, check on your neighbors and stay warm.

My hubby was just telling me it is freezing out while walking my dog. It's 43 degrees.

Anything over 40 can make things colder. If it's under 35, then it MIGHT feel warmer-- that's the way it is here, cause yesterday it was 12 here, but right now it's 21.

Oh wow, I'm glad that I live in southern state - no blizzard, no winter storm, no snow, no shovel or snow blower, no salt on road or highway. :D

Oh wow, I'm glad that I live in southern state - no blizzard, no winter storm, no snow, no shovel or snow blower, no salt on road or highway. :D

Southern IL doesn't get this much snow, if ever.

Chicago, Upstate NY: thick coat, glove, beanie, boot, scarf, jean, long t-shirt, shovel or snow blower in morning before go to work

Atlanta, New Orleans: jacket, sneaker, rarely need glove or beanie unless temperature is less than freezing point, shorts could worn for people who well tolerated in 40s, 50s, no more shovel or snow blower, no salt on road, no snowplow.

Los Angeles, San Diego: t-shirt, shorts, flip flop, jacket as needed, sneaker as needed, could be little more cold at night, no shovel or snow blower, no salt on road, no snowplow.

Miami, Honolulu: t-shirt, shorts, flip flop, sunglasses, very little or no winter. :D

Chicago, Upstate NY: thick coat, glove, beanie, boot, scarf, jean, long t-shirt, shovel or snow blower in morning before go to work

Atlanta, New Orleans: jacket, sneaker, rarely need glove or beanie unless temperature is less than freezing point, shorts could worn for people who well tolerated in 40s, 50s, no more shovel or snow blower, no salt on road, no snowplow.

Los Angeles, San Diego: t-shirt, shorts, flip flop, jacket as needed, sneaker as needed, could be little more cold at night, no shovel or snow blower, no salt on road, no snowplow.

Miami: t-shirt, shorts, flip flop, sunglasses, very little or no winter. :D

I have two winter caps, and a nice pair of winter gloves, but I still need long johns, though. Probably do that this week or this weekend.

Southern IL doesn't get this much snow, if ever.

Yes, there aren't much snows in DC metro too.

I want go more south - Florida or SoCal so no more heating because heating can be very expensive.

Yes, there aren't much snows in DC metro too.

I want go more south - Florida or SoCal so no more heating because heating can be very expensive.

It certainly is, but the property owner pays the heating bill; I just pay rent.

That's not how it works for most people. Most people don't rent a room, they rent an apartment or house or own, they pay utility bills.

There's a trade off though living in the south, you might not have to hear your place as long, but you run the AC more the rest of the year. Up north most places use gas or oil for heat, it's more efficient than electric, but still expensive. I remember one particularly cold January in NH, gas bill was $463. Blah, but my electric all summer was fairly low.

I would think you would be happy , I hope we'll not lose any power .

I LOVE SNOW (preferably under 10 inches) We will just get freezing rain and I don't like it at all. Last week, we got so much rain.

I hope none of you in the storm's path lose power. Be careful if you have to go out.

I decided not to take Marty to the park , the parking ban start at 12 noon today and will last till 12 noon on Saturday . That is a long parking ban , some people do not have driveways and will have to find a place to park their cars. The blizzard warning been change to only the south coastline so my city will not be getting it. But we can get the ocean effect and get a lot more snow.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone)

ambrosia said:

That's not how it works for most people. Most people don't rent a room, they rent an apartment or house or own, they pay utility bills.

There's a trade off though living in the south, you might not have to hear your place as long, but you run the AC more the rest of the year. Up north most places use gas or oil for heat, it's more efficient than electric, but still expensive. I remember one particularly cold January in NH, gas bill was $463. Blah, but my electric all summer was fairly low.

I live in a house, not an apartment, and the house is a government sponsored house, which means I only need to pay rent, and nothing more (This house is a HUD house).

whatdidyousay! said:
I hope none of you in the storm's path lose power. Be careful if you have to go out.

I decided not to take Marty to the park , the parking ban start at 12 noon today and will last till 12 noon on Saturday . That is a long parking ban , some people do not have driveways and will have to find a place to park their cars. The blizzard warning been change to only the south coastline so my city will not be getting it. But we can get the ocean effect and get a lot more snow.

Same here-- I live near Lake Michigan, and we got a LOT of snow here. More than most places, cause of where we're at.

Yikes!! Be extra careful, and make sure you have plenty of emergency supplies if needed.

I do not live right next to ocean , I am inland but we still get an ocean effect. I would never buy a house on the beach , the only houses that belong on the beach are sandcastle .

whatdidyousay! said:
Yikes!! Be extra careful, and make sure you have plenty of emergency supplies if needed.

I do not live right next to ocean , I am inland but we still get an ocean effect. I would never buy a house on the beach , the only houses that belong on the beach are sandcastle .

I believe you.

As for what belongs on beaches, sandcastles and how about an actual one? They're pretty strong, and can withstand most things.

Come to Miami so no more Boston. :lol:

waiting.... and waiting for snowstorm to hit my area so I can go skiing this Saturday

Jiro said:
waiting.... and waiting for snowstorm to hit my area so I can go skiing this Saturday

You may have to wait a little longer. Part of it is still here in Chicago, and won't leave for a few more hours.

We just got a winter weather advisory...snow it expected to start around 4:45 PM and only 2 to 4 inches. That's good enough for me. However, we got another advisory...a wind chill one. First time we have had that advisory in years!!! Wind chills are expected to be 0 to -5 degrees! Yikes!

Back