Powerful Winter Storm to hit the Northeastern states

5 degree here at this moment, excluding wind chill, perhaps colder than -8.

Your in second spot for snowiest in USA. Enough snow for you!

wonder about your area, -8 degrees as well?

Just got the power bill, and it is % 50 higher than this time last year.

With these kinds of temps, I wouldn't be surprised if my electric bill increases just as much. The last time we had those temps, my electric bill shot up to about $500 for the month of January. Since then, it has never been that high.

50% more? That is a lot! Yeah, I notice I use more firewood than last year and two years ago. At least I have plenty buffer just in case winter weather gets brutal like this one. I ignored my friends that thinks I have too much firewood. Its never too much really, its best to prepare for the unexpected.

Right now, both natural gas furnace burns natural gas and sucks hot air from woodstove to boost heating power. Its brrrrrr cold outside! I rarely turn on gas for furnace. I wanted my utility bill to stay low.

Just got the power bill, and it is % 50 higher than this time last year.

I have a fireplace and I noticed it helps keep our gas bill down in the winter. I get as much red oak firewood as I can find because it burns slow, and it burns hot.

Plus .. I like S'mores and hot cocoa on those terribly cold nights (except the past two days ... stomach virus prevented me from even thinking about it)

Hope you all stay warm out there

50% more? That is a lot! Yeah, I notice I use more firewood than last year and two years ago. At least I have plenty buffer just in case winter weather gets brutal like this one. I ignored my friends that thinks I have too much firewood. Its never too much really, its best to prepare for the unexpected.

Right now, both natural gas furnace burns natural gas and sucks hot air from woodstove to boost heating power. Its brrrrrr cold outside! I rarely turn on gas for furnace. I wanted my utility bill to stay low.

You can never have too much firewood. I helped my brother install a new catalyst woodburning stove in his living room, and it works great. He has one in the basement as well.
Incidentally, I have a friend out east who insisted on buying a pellet stove in spite of my warnings. Sure enough, she lost her power and now she is freezing in her home. :(

To those who have a fireplace, you are lucky. I miss having a fireplace. :(

If I ever find a better paying job and we get the basement fixed, we will buy another house and I will make sure it has a fireplace!

Fireplaces are a waste of energy and wood. There is no comparison with a woodburning stove.

Actually, my fireplace was built in the 70's and it warms up the entire house. Well ... especially when burning seasoned red oak.

Not sure if it is different ... but was made from layers and layers of red brick clay.

nice, i remember warmin my fingers at a corner trash can back in the day.............

We definitely got so much more snow than expected. This was this morning in the front of my house. Now the winds and the bitter temps have hit.

My turn! This is in Chicago, in front of my house

Attachments

• IMG_20140103_110456_0.jpg
    IMG_20140103_110456_0.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 13
Pellet has its advantage... Easier to load and forget it, and can store pellets indoor no problem. These, can't be done with firewood, can't store indoor unless kiln dried to kill all pest inside the firewood.

Don't get me wrong, I would never want pellet stove. I still have three wood burning stoves downstairs, two is for sale. I like big Moe very much and decided it was right one for my house even though it is somewhat oversized. Big Moe can take up 30 inches logs! I tested with 30 inches logs, oh my God! I love it! I have bunch of Birch in 30 inches logs and its ready to burn in few weeks.

You can never have too much firewood. I helped my brother install a new catalyst woodburning stove in his living room, and it works great. He has one in the basement as well.
Incidentally, I have a friend out east who insisted on buying a pellet stove in spite of my warnings. Sure enough, she lost her power and now she is freezing in her home. :(

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone)

diehardbiker said:
-5 degree F here just this moment.

Earlier today, it was -8 this morning, but next Monday night it's gonna get down to -16.

Back