Paula Deen Fired for using Racial Slur

Maybe Deen can be forgiven for using an offensive word while she was growing up in a culture that promoted that kind of language. However, she's been an adult for decades now, has lived thru the Civil Rights era, is exposed to current news and culture, and associates with a wide circle of people. There is no way in the past 40 years that she could not have known that using the n-word was offensive.

I've lived South of the Mason-Dixon since 1972, and people here know that the n-word is offensive. Those who use it know what they're doing.

White people weren't alone to use "N" word, but there are some latino and Asian, especially Mexicans used "N" word against on black people.

I never heard about "cracker" until I got visitation in southern state and those word seems originally from southern state, but didn't hear in west coast and DC metro.

You clearly haven't watched many Spike Lee films....

true...it's still very prevalent here in my city....(blacks calling each other the "N" word).....it's something their race can do, but not other races are supposed to do....

Most black people do not like to use the word to black people like that. Even black people yelled at black gang people to stop use N-word. Black people and black gang people are different culture.

You don't have to be gang to use "N" word, even I had seen a lot of young black buddies use "N" word but they weren't gang.

It must be different between young and older adults - old adults don't like sagging.

I still have no problem with "hearing impaired" or just "Deaf"...as for "Voice Off"?...feel a lot of people would not even know how to respond to that....I do say often that "I'm deaf, but can lip=read"...

true...it's still very prevalent here in my city....(blacks calling each other the "N" word).....it's something their race can do, but not other races are supposed to do....

I'm sure it is over US - LA, NYC, Chicago, DC, Atlanta, New Orleans, Detroit, Philly, etc.

It is less prevalent if you live in interior west region like Montana, Wyoming or Colorado due to low number of black population.

I grew up with many black people from Chicago as REAL LIFE, not crap hollywood. You should know that hollywood are fake.

I just googled about Spike Lee and I see that he looks like GANG or try to be cool for gang.

spike-lee-jordan-xx8-knicks-61.jpg

I still have no problem with "hearing impaired" or just "Deaf"...as for "Voice Off"?...feel a lot of people would not even know how to respond to that....I do say often that "I'm deaf, but can lip=read"...

Exactly. If you say "My friend here is mute" people will understand what you are saying. If you say "My friend here is voice off" most peopl are not going to know what the hell you are talking about.

You don't have to be gang to use "N" word, even I had seen a lot of young black buddies use "N" word but they weren't gang.

It must be different between young and older adults - old adults don't like sagging.

Because most young age peoples are not enough educated in america history.

I grew many black people from Chicago as REAL LIFE, not crap hollywood. You should know that hollywood are almost everything fake.

I just googled about Spike Lee and I see that he looks like GANG or try to be cool for gang.

spike-lee-jordan-xx8-knicks-61.jpg

Where are Crips and Blood originally from?

Voice off, to me almost suggests as if it is a choice when it isn't. By the same token, mute kinda sounds like there's no voice box physically present when that isn't true, either. :lol:

Highlander is right. Gangsta, ghetto, and street life isn't for every black person. I know many black people who are good citizens, faithful to their families, hard workers, love the Lord, raise respectful children, and do all those other positive things that people of all colors do. They don't want to associate with gangs or emulate gang behavior.

Maybe it's because I don't live in an urban area that I don't see as much of the gang culture (which isn't just for non-whites, either).

Spike Lee films aren't reflections of everyone's life.

There are some black people disapproved the "N" word that used by other black people.

And one might find them where....on Twitter, in Spike Lee films, on MTV videos, in Rap Music....the only black people I know of personally that spoke against this was Bill Cosby (who has been labeled a sell out by some blacks for telling them to take responsibility for their lives instead of blaming people for how they live), Lena Horne, and Maya Angelou. I'm sure there are many others, like those that take offense for the way black people drop the words "Hoe" and "bitch" like it's part of every day speech.

Black people are just as racist as anyone else, ask the Korean community in California, or other Asian and Latino groups that live near black neighborhoods. And then there's this fine gentleman:

‘Kill Whitey’: Head of Philadelphia New Black Panther Party Arrested on Gun Charges in Manhattan

Posted by Jammie on Jun 22, 2013 at 12:29 pm

maruseheath-150x150.jpg

Paging Eric Holder, come in, Eric Holder. One of those charming “poll workers” from Philadelphia turns out to be a criminal.
The tattoo on his face says, “Kill Whitey” in block letters, and cops say the gun he carried was loaded and unlicensed.
But that didn’t stop Maruse Heath — head of the Philadelphia chapter of the New Black Panther Party — from claiming that he’s really all about charity and outreach as he was arraigned on a gun-possession charge in Manhattan last night.
“It is my understanding that the New Black Panther Party is the functional equivalent of the KKK,” Assistant District Attorney Christopher Ryan countered as Heath, 41, was ordered held in lieu of $75,000 bail for getting busted allegedly with a gun in Harlem Thursday night.
Heath, aka “King Salim Shabazz,” was arrested on Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard as he left a meeting of New Black Panther Party members. The group had gathered to plan a 15th-anniversary Million Man March commemoration, scheduled for Harlem on Sept. 7.
Heath was unjustly “jumped” by cops as he left the meeting and walked near Seventh Avenue, said his lawyer, Brad Foster, in arguing unsuccessfully for low bail.
“It is no crime to belong to the Black Panther Party,” the lawyer argued. The group does, “charity work within the local community, outreach to the homeless, and works with at-risk youth who are at risk of becoming criminals.”
Charity work, huh? OK.
“I don’t believe there’s any justification for the stop,” he added. “It’s very dark, 10:30 at night,” he said of cops’ decision to stop Heath for allegedly wearing a bulletproof vest. “They grabbed him by the shoulders and cuffed him and he was in custody.”
But the prosecutor argued that the diminutive Heath was wearing a whopping size-52 ballistic vest — obvious in almost any light.
“A 52, sized as regular men’s clothing, is clearly obvious,” the prosecutor argued. “He was stopped, and a loaded handgun was taken from his pocket.”
Heath faces a mandatory minimum of three and a half years if convicted of possessing the .25-cal. gun. He is due back in Manhattan Criminal Court on June 26, when he will be informed if he has been indicted on charges of gun possession and the illegal wearing of body armor.
Man’s got to protect himself from the evil whiteys, doesn’t he? In fact, just last years this creature called for the mass murder of whites. Video at the link.

Laura, are you saying ALL black people use "N" word?

And one might find them where....on Twitter, in Spike Lee films, on MTV videos, in Rap Music....the only black people I know of personally that spoke against this was Bill Cosby (who has been labeled a sell out by some blacks for telling them to take responsibility for their lives instead of blaming people for how they live), Lena Horne, and Maya Angelou. I'm sure there are many others, like those that take offense for the way black people drop the words "Hoe" and "bitch" like it's part of every day speech.

Black people are just as racist as anyone else, ask the Korean community in California, or other Asian and Latino groups that live near black neighborhoods. And then there's this fine gentleman:

‘Kill Whitey’: Head of Philadelphia New Black Panther Party Arrested on Gun Charges in Manhattan

Posted by Jammie on Jun 22, 2013 at 12:29 pm

maruseheath-150x150.jpg

Paging Eric Holder, come in, Eric Holder. One of those charming “poll workers” from Philadelphia turns out to be a criminal.
The tattoo on his face says, “Kill Whitey” in block letters, and cops say the gun he carried was loaded and unlicensed.
But that didn’t stop Maruse Heath — head of the Philadelphia chapter of the New Black Panther Party — from claiming that he’s really all about charity and outreach as he was arraigned on a gun-possession charge in Manhattan last night.
“It is my understanding that the New Black Panther Party is the functional equivalent of the KKK,” Assistant District Attorney Christopher Ryan countered as Heath, 41, was ordered held in lieu of $75,000 bail for getting busted allegedly with a gun in Harlem Thursday night.
Heath, aka “King Salim Shabazz,” was arrested on Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard as he left a meeting of New Black Panther Party members. The group had gathered to plan a 15th-anniversary Million Man March commemoration, scheduled for Harlem on Sept. 7.
Heath was unjustly “jumped” by cops as he left the meeting and walked near Seventh Avenue, said his lawyer, Brad Foster, in arguing unsuccessfully for low bail.
“It is no crime to belong to the Black Panther Party,” the lawyer argued. The group does, “charity work within the local community, outreach to the homeless, and works with at-risk youth who are at risk of becoming criminals.”
Charity work, huh? OK.
“I don’t believe there’s any justification for the stop,” he added. “It’s very dark, 10:30 at night,” he said of cops’ decision to stop Heath for allegedly wearing a bulletproof vest. “They grabbed him by the shoulders and cuffed him and he was in custody.”
But the prosecutor argued that the diminutive Heath was wearing a whopping size-52 ballistic vest — obvious in almost any light.
“A 52, sized as regular men’s clothing, is clearly obvious,” the prosecutor argued. “He was stopped, and a loaded handgun was taken from his pocket.”
Heath faces a mandatory minimum of three and a half years if convicted of possessing the .25-cal. gun. He is due back in Manhattan Criminal Court on June 26, when he will be informed if he has been indicted on charges of gun possession and the illegal wearing of body armor.
Man’s got to protect himself from the evil whiteys, doesn’t he? In fact, just last years this creature called for the mass murder of whites. Video at the link.

Highlander is right. Gangsta, ghetto, and street life isn't for every black person. I know many black people who are good citizens, faithful to their families, hard workers, love the Lord, raise respectful children, and do all those other positive things that people of all colors do. They don't want to associate with gangs or emulate gang behavior.

Maybe it's because I don't live in an urban area that I don't see as much of the gang culture (which isn't just for non-whites, either).

Spike Lee films aren't reflections of everyone's life.

I agree with you too.

I have own witness in my state, Georgia, Mississippi and Louisiana.

I found black gangsters are less common today than I was childhood in 1980's, 1990's and early 2000's.

Laura, are you saying ALL black people use "N" word?

You don't get around much do you? I see in black music videos, I hear it in Rap music, I hear it on the streets in Boston - I hear them yelling it over the crowd to one another, I hear them using it on the trains, I hear it in black films by black film makers, I see in Twitter responses among black Rappers...yes...for the most part. I doubt everyone in the world uses like such as the people I mentioned in my post which you must have skipped over....but those people aren't vocal enough when it is used to insist it be stopped.

If mute is offensive, then pray tell what word should be in circulation to describe a person who does not produce audible speech?….
First of all, there needs not be a labeling word at all.

If someone must be described, it's fine to say that he or she is deaf. Period. If more explanation is needed, then one can add, "His preferred mode of communication is American Sign Language," or "He prefers to communicate with speech reading and speaking," or "He prefers to communicate by writing notes."

You are correct that most hearing people don't know what voice off means.

Exactly. If you say "My friend here is mute" people will understand what you are saying. If you say "My friend here is voice off" most peopl are not going to know what the hell you are talking about.
I wouldn't use either phrase if I were speaking to another hearing person.

Back