Paula Deen Fired for using Racial Slur

It's good she apologized. But I really think she got dumped since she developed diabetes and became a walking billboard for what that high fat, high sugar diet will do for you.

This was just the excuse.

You have to be joking!

I disagree with you.

Use "mute" as reference to deaf people is offensive, along with "dumb".

Also, my VR counselor told me that I was right thing about report to manager about offensive word against me, however he said many hearing employers are unaware about consider "dumb" and "mute" as offensive that use reference on deaf people. He spent a representative to my workplace to discuss about situation with offensive word, that was happened after worker quitted and my manager finally got it now.

I don't accept "hearing impaired" as well but they are not more offensive than "mute" and "dumb", so I informed to DMV representative about don't like term "hearing impaired" on my driver license and they made report to state.

I'm deaf person and heavily fluent in ASL, that it!

You are proving my point. You chose to be offend. The term itself is not offensive and it's usage (generally) is not intended to be offensive. The term is merely a word to describe someone who cannot or does not speak.

BTW, Mute is not just a word used to describe the deaf. There are people who can hear but cannot speak.

Last edited:
You have to be joking!

No. I am serious. I obviously am against racist remarks, but I think Paula Deen cooks in a very unhealthy way, it made her sick, and she looks really unwell now.

But they couldn't fire her for poor health, so they took this as the excuse since everyone could get on board behind it.

You are proving my point. You chose to be offend. The term itself is not offensive and it's usage (generally) is not intended to be offensive. The term is merely a word to describe someone who cannot or does not speak.

Well, I disagree with you and it is not my choice to be offend because this term is offensive to deaf people.

Can't speak? I CAN SPEAK ASL!

Well, I disagree with you and it is not my choice to be offend because this term is offensive to deaf people.

Can't speak? I CAN SPEAK ASL!

Meh, I provided the definition. Nothing offensive there.

Meh, I provided the definition. Nothing offensive there.

Your definition is confusing me and it is just saying about mute is acceptable when use reference on deaf people.

Are you saying that black people chose to be offend when call N word? Are you saying that white people chose to be offend when call "cracker"?

Your definition is confusing me and it is just saying about mute is acceptable when use reference on deaf people.

Are you saying that black people chose to be offend when call N word? Are you saying that white people chose to be offend when call "cracker"?

I'm not offended by "cracker." Doesn't bother me at all.

As for the "N-word" it is intended as derogatory (generally) therefore it is offensive. (Generally)

The word "mute" on the other hand is functionally descriptive.

I'm not offended by "cracker." Doesn't bother me at all.

As for the "N-word" it is intended as derogatory (generally) therefore it is offensive. (Generally)

The word "mute" on the other hand is functionally descriptive.

The "cracker" is nothing to me - nonsense because I have more than one ethnicity. There were few black people called "cracker" and I told them that I'm not southern white, anyway.

Wrong ! She said a racial slur more than once and that is not a slip of the tongue , and I just did like not like something about her and now I know why . I am the same age as her and I do not use racial slurs.

Well, good for you not using the "N" word or racial slurs.....and I do believe it was a slip of the tongue when she was angry or upset at something or someone....no excuse I know, but she did apologize,

The "N" word was used for a very long time, until it changed to Negro...then changed to Blacks, then to African-Americans....what next, I dunno.

People are only human and makes mistakes more than once....even take the man upstairs' name in vain...people get mad or upset at each other and cuss them out....and apologe...in the heat of the moment....Doesn't mean they should lose their job or be black-listed!

Maybe Deen can be forgiven for using an offensive word while she was growing up in a culture that promoted that kind of language. However, she's been an adult for decades now, has lived thru the Civil Rights era, is exposed to current news and culture, and associates with a wide circle of people. There is no way in the past 40 years that she could not have known that using the n-word was offensive.

I've lived South of the Mason-Dixon since 1972, and people here know that the n-word is offensive. Those who use it know what they're doing.

If mute is offensive, then pray tell what word should be in circulation to describe a person who does not produce audible speech? Hearing impaired suggests there is something broken with deaf people, N* has a vicious history attached to its usage, and the primary definition of dumb is "stupid". But mute? Perfectly useful and innocuous with no such painful history or pejorative meanings.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Maybe Deen can be forgiven for using an offensive word while she was growing up in a culture that promoted that kind of language. However, she's been an adult for decades now, has lived thru the Civil Rights era, is exposed to current news and culture, and associates with a wide circle of people. There is no way in the past 40 years that she could not have known that using the n-word was offensive.

I've lived South of the Mason-Dixon since 1972, and people here know that the n-word is offensive. Those who use it know what they're doing.

I don't understand why most black gangs culture alway said, "What's up my N-word?" to other black all times. It was not racist but white people said N-word to black then it was racist.

d0r.png

My two-cents as a hearing person:

I have had other hearing people tell me that they use the term "hearing impaired" because they figured that since "deaf mute" and "deaf and dumb" were offensive, "deaf" was probably offensive, too. So, to play it safe, they use "hearing impaired."

I educate them when and where I can but that is a widespread impression they have. Some people are so afraid of saying something offensive that they pick another bad alternative.

That's what political correctness will get you.

I don't understand why most black gangs culture alway said, "What's up my N-word?" to other black all times. It was not racist but white people said N-word to black then it was racist.
"Gangsta" types say all kinds of offensive words. Just because they accept it amongst themselves doesn't mean it's acceptable in general society. They also call women "'ho's" and "bitches" and use other vulgar language.

I certainly wouldn't use gangsta language as a guide to acceptable language.

"Gangsta" types say all kinds of offensive words. Just because they accept it amongst themselves doesn't mean it's acceptable in general society. They also call women "'ho's" and "bitches" and use other vulgar language.

I certainly wouldn't use gangsta language as a guide to acceptable language.

Agreed. It's kind annoying when they keeps said that. Few of my friends just become gangs and keeps said all times on Facebook.

HUH?? So does this mean you think it's Ok to use a racial slur ?

Black people use the word all the time; they get offended though if white people use it in the same way Tarrentino took heat for his films, one of the most recent being Durango. Just recently I saw it again being used here:

Lil Snupe Dies At 18 Years Old

Lil Snupe celebrated his 18th birthday on June 13, and posted a series of pictures of his birthday cake on Instagram, and wrote “Blessed 2 See 18.”
Winnfield Police say that Snupe was killed just after 4:00 a.m. at an apartment where he was visiting in Winnfield, Louisiana, reports KNOE 8 News. Officials say the shooting happened at Maplewood Apartments at S. Jones Streets.
There is a suspect, but no one has been arrested.
His manager Leem7st confirmed the news on Twitter: ”The call I got this morning is un real RIP 2 my Lil ni**a lilsnupe.

It would seem to me that no one should be using the word, black or white instead of making exceptions for who can use it still. Personally, I think it was an overblown response and she didn't deserve to lose a show over it; my gut tells me it was excuse to not renew her contract because she's one of the least healthy cooks out there and the Food Network wants to promote healthier choices. I'll be sorry if her children lose their shows for no other reason than guilt by association....but it wouldn't surprise me if it happens.

Laura

Black people use the word all the time; they get offended though if white people use it in the same way Tarrentino took heat for his films, one of the most recent being Durango. Just recently I saw it again being used again here

Most black people do not like to use the word to black people like that. Even black people yelled at black gang people to stop use N-word. Black people and black gang people are different culture.

Most black people do not like to use the word to black people like that. Even black people yelled at black gang people to stop use N-word. Black people and black gang people are different culture.

You clearly haven't watched many Spike Lee films....

If mute is offensive, then pray tell what word should be in circulation to describe a person who does not produce audible speech?

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Voice off

Back