Paula Deen Fired for using Racial Slur

Especially today , with all the technology we have. I never liked the woman and now I know why.

what if paula used the term "mute" will she get fired? :hmm:

I doubt, one of worker at my old workplace called me "mute" because I had odd work performance to him, so I went reported to manager and co-manager so nobody fire him because they said "mute" is harmless, however I told them - not in case with deaf people.

Call N word will getting you fired, obviously.

There is a tremendous difference. The N-word is intended to be derogatory. Whereas "mute" is a common and functional word that people have chosen to be offended by.

As for Paula Deen that is somewhat surprising since she campaigned with the Obama's in 2008.

Especially today , with all the technology we have. I never liked the woman and now I know why.

:hmm:...you never liked her?...couldn't be because she said the "N" word...so guessing what you really mean is that you don't like her NOW.

The lady is 66 years old I believe (your age)...she's a very pretty woman and a fantastic cook....Do I like her? Yes, I do.

She apologized....and believe it was genuine...and the "N" word was very, very common back in her day. Now-a-days, it's taboo, same as the word "cracker" or "whitey"....

Words do slip from people's lips at times...we say things that we really don't mean...and an apology should suffix as long as you don't say it repeatedtly.

That's my take of it.

I still watch her show, and I enjoy seeing many different partners cooking but I enjoy the most when she cooks with sons. Sons and her have different opinions on cooking.

:hmm:...you never liked her?...couldn't be because she said the "N" word...so guessing what you really mean is that you don't like her NOW.

The lady is 66 years old I believe (your age)...she's a very pretty woman and a fantastic cook....Do I like her? Yes, I do.

She apologized....and believe it was genuine...and the "N" word was very, very common back in her day. Now-a-days, it's taboo, same as the word "cracker" or "whitey"....

Words do slip from people's lips at times...we say things that we really don't mean...and an apology should suffix as long as you don't say it repeatedtly.

That's my take of it.

That's going be longer time to recover because Food Network dropped her.

For me, her apology is sufficient.

Paula Deen isn't first time.

Do you remember about Duane Chapman from Dog the Bounty Hunter used N word? He apologized and AE stopped air the shows for several months.

I doubt, one of worker at my old workplace called me "mute" because I had odd work performance to him, so I went reported to manager and co-manager so nobody fire him because they said "mute" is harmless, however I told them - not in case with deaf people.

Call N word will getting you fired, obviously.

Believe "mute" is referring that you cannot speak...even I was called a "deaf mute" by my boss and I corrected him saying..."I'm deaf, yes, but not mute." (I have my speech)..."mute" has nothing to do with your work performance and if you had "odd work performance", then maybe you should have been the one that got fired...not your boss....I would never jump on the band wagon trying to get someone fired for that...it was a big misunderstanding on your part and you should have researched the word "mute" before reporting something like that.

There is a tremendous difference. The N-word is intended to be derogatory. Whereas "mute" is a common and functional word that people have chosen to be offended by.

As for Paula Deen that is somewhat surprising since she campaigned with the Obama's in 2008.

I know about saying mute the TV isn't offensive, but saying deaf and mute is offensive to deaf people.

However, one of worker who called to me quitted after second week after he complained about not enough pay so I was like "WALMART LOW PAY" and get over it.

Believe "mute" is referring that you cannot speak...even I was called a "deaf mute" by my boss and I corrected him saying..."I'm deaf, yes, but not mute." (I have my speech)..."mute" has nothing to do with your work performance and if you had "odd work performance", then maybe you should have been the one that got fired...not your boss....I would never jump on the band wagon trying to get someone fired for that...it was a big misunderstanding on your part and you should have researched the word "mute" before reporting something like that.

I don't tolerate any word saying "mute" and "dumb" that use reference to deaf people - I will report no mater if it is not offensive to you.

My manager had no problem with my work performance, but it was one of new worker who complained about my work and called slur word against me. He got coached by manager by saying be nice and respect, so he quitted after worked for second week.

I don't have any respect for whiny worker, anyway.

I know about saying mute the TV isn't offensive, but saying deaf and mute is offensive to deaf people.

However, one of worker who called to me quitted after second week after he complained about not enough pay so I was like "WALMART LOW PAY" and get over it.

As I said, people chose to be offended by it but "mute" is not meant to be derogatory even when describing people who are unable to speak.

mute [ myoot ]
not speaking: unwilling or unable to speak
making no sound: saying nothing, or making no sound
not expressed in words: felt or expressed without speech
Synonyms: damper, silencer, muffler, softener

It's good she apologized. But I really think she got dumped since she developed diabetes and became a walking billboard for what that high fat, high sugar diet will do for you.

This was just the excuse.

As I said, people chose to be offended by it but "mute" is not meant to be derogatory even when describing people who are unable to speak.

I disagree with you.

Use "mute" as reference to deaf people is offensive, along with "dumb".

Also, my VR counselor told me that I was right thing about report to manager about offensive word against me, however he said many hearing employers are unaware about consider "dumb" and "mute" as offensive that use reference on deaf people. He spent a representative to my workplace to discuss about situation with offensive word, that was happened after worker quitted and my manager finally got it now.

I don't accept "hearing impaired" as well but they are not more offensive than "mute" and "dumb", so I informed to DMV representative about don't like term "hearing impaired" on my driver license and they made report to state.

I'm deaf person and heavily fluent in ASL, that it!

That's my take of it.

Wrong ! She said a racial slur more than once and that is not a slip of the tongue , and I just did like not like something about her and now I know why . I am the same age as her and I do not use racial slurs.

It's good she apologized. But I really think she got dumped since she developed diabetes and became a walking billboard for what that high fat, high sugar diet will do for you.

This was just the excuse.

Probably

Back