Other people perspective AGAINST C.I. for the Deaf children

Status
Not open for further replies.
he parents are so thrilled that we live 5 mins from them and they said they have been searching for a family who has a kid their daughter's age who can sign. I have always wanted my kids to have one or two deaf friends..now my 2 year old son may have a new friend!
That's awesome! Get them hooked up with Maryland School for the Deaf, and give them ALL the info out there.
Re: CI. I definitly would tell them to totally 100% make sure that hearing aids don't totally work before opting for CI. It's just extremely hard to tell how well a baby hears with HAs. I seem to remember that kids with 90 dcb losses do respond to hearing aids, so it's totally worth it to experiment.
Are they going with a "full toolbox" approach? Emphasize strongly that it's better to equipt a kid with all sorts of tools to use.. Hey one good thing about only one kid with CI having good speech (in that class) is that it looks like there will be some students for your school in the future!

That's awesome! Get them hooked up with Maryland School for the Deaf, and give them ALL the info out there.
Re: CI. I definitly would tell them to totally 100% make sure that hearing aids don't totally work before opting for CI. It's just extremely hard to tell how well a baby hears with HAs. I seem to remember that kids with 90 dcb losses do respond to hearing aids, so it's totally worth it to experiment.
Are they going with a "full toolbox" approach? Emphasize strongly that it's better to equipt a kid with all sorts of tools to use.. Hey one good thing about only one kid with CI having good speech (in that class) is that it looks like there will be some students for your school in the future!

Their daughter is only 2 so they are still investigating all the different options but the most important thing is that she is not being deprived of a language while they are doing their research. That's the key and I applaud them for that.

Shel? Do you remember that thread you created a couple of months ago? http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/41551-we-need-change.html then you asked in another thread why some Aders are getting upset at some of the posts, then this should answered your question of why, I'm not here to put you down or anyone, but lately I'm starting to get turn off by some of the comments that are being made in several threads lately, one is the people's attitude, the lack of supports, criticism and judging other parent's decisions, and when someone created a thread asking a question related to their deaf child's education or CI etc, it turn into bashing or arguments going back and fourth. I hardly see the hearing parents of deaf children with CI coming in and posting in AD for quite awhile now..Maybe I'm starting to feel sorry for them, I dunno but I don't like what I'm seeing lately and that may be another reason why you don't see me posting in these CI threads as much as I used to. I miss hearing their children's stories, and most of all I miss the support we used to have here in Alldeaf. but lately it's not there anymore..

What I'm trying to say here is we all are different, we raise our children different, no family or parents are the same. *I* think we should give everyone a chance to let them raise their children the way they see fit, and let them be...There's nothing wrong with agree to disagree but this is not what I'm seeing lately... :(

I agree with you so much. I have been bash over and over here for implanting my children and being an oral teacher of the deaf. I have never said here nor anywhere else that every deaf child needs an implant nor do I believe in my heart that all deaf children need an implant. Although I raised my children orally, I do not believe that every deaf child should be oral. What I believe in is parents making informed decisions.
The other thing is that I have been accused of being an oralist, and I agree that I am but I am not an extreme oralist, I believe in respecting parents decision. I would never ever tell a parent that choose ASL only for their deaf child that they were wrong. I have exposed my children to the Deaf culture maybe not enough to meet other people needs but enough to meet my children's needs.
Both of my children sign, which they learned in middle school. My daughter is pretty good at signing but my son not really. My children have had many of their friends over at our home some that only sign and some that are only oral and some in the middle.
The number one thing for me when exposing my children to members of the Deaf community is that I only expose them to people that will accept them for who they are.

I agree with you so much. I have been bash over and over here for implanting my children and being an oral teacher of the deaf. I have never said here nor anywhere else that every deaf child needs an implant nor do I believe in my heart that all deaf children need an implant. Although I raised my children orally, I do not believe that every deaf child should be oral. What I believe in is parents making informed decisions.
The other thing is that I have been accused of being an oralist, and I agree that I am but I am not an extreme oralist, I believe in respecting parents decision. I would never ever tell a parent that choose ASL only for their deaf child that they were wrong. I have exposed my children to the Deaf culture maybe not enough to meet other people needs but enough to meet my children's needs.
Both of my children sign, which they learned in middle school. My daughter is pretty good at signing but my son not really. My children have had many of their friends over at our home some that only sign and some that are only oral and some in the middle.
The number one thing for me when exposing my children to members of the Deaf community is that I only expose them to people that will accept them for who they are.

Keep reading. We have all moved well beyond this.

Nobody can predict the future, what they can really do is try out a program and see how well they will adjucted, but forcing them in a ASL only program is not the answer, they will struggle with speech, in my opinion.

I agree with you 100% nobody can predict the future and you never know how a program is going to work out until you give it your all. I know that oral is not for every kid but I know that oral can work for deaf children. It sure has worked for my children and for most of my students.

I agree with you 100% nobody can predict the future and you never know how a program is going to work out until you give it your all. I know that oral is not for every kid but I know that oral can work for deaf children. It sure has worked for my children and for most of my students.

We were discussing TC vs Bi-Bi, not oral education.

We were discussing TC vs Bi-Bi, not oral education.

Well, this thread is about cochlear implants and so why can't I share my experiences with oral education. It would seem that I have the most experience with successful implant users.

You can if you sign in SEE because it represent the use of English vocabulary and grammar. But, with ASL It's impossible to voice or mouth in English words, It will be in ASL syntax same as signing in syntax, Interpreters in my experience don't sign ASL more closer to SEE than ASL.

Cheri - I really find it is interesting reading about the different types of experiences. Thanks for sharing!

Well, this thread is about cochlear implants and so why can't I share my experiences with oral education. It would seem that I have the most experience with successful implant users.

jackiesolorzano - Considering that oral education, can/is part and parcel of Bi/Bi, I believe that your experiences are valuable.

The most experience as compared to whom? And the reason I clarified is because you were responding to posts regarding TC vs Bi-Bi as if oral ed had been a part of the discussion.

jackiesolorzano - Considering that oral education, can/is part and parcel of Bi/Bi, I believe that your experiences are valuable.

Oral education is not a part of Bi-Bi. Do I need to refer you to Wiki again? ESL is a part of Bi-Bi. Oral education, particularly as practiced by oral educators, is a separate philosophy altogether.

It appears to me that you spend an enormous amount of time and energy, playing US VS. THEM.

It is sad that you cannot get past your own bias and embrace a learning opportunity. We all have experiences and expertise to share, no ones less valuable than the other.

Your purest Bi/Bi program does not exist.

Are you seriously suggesting that ESL programs do not have an oral component?

It appears to me that you spend an enormous amount of time and energy, playing US VS. THEM.

It is sad that you cannot get past your own bias and embrace a learning opportunity. We all have experiences and expertise to share, no ones less valuable than the other.

Your purest Bi/Bi program does not exist.

Are you seriously suggesting that ESL programs do not have an oral component?

I am suggesting nothing. I am stating that Bi-Bi education and oral education are two separate and diametrically opposed philosophies.

I spend an enormous amount of time advocating for the educational philosophy that delivers the greatest amount of benefit tot he majority of the students. If you see that as US vs THEM, then that is yours to deal with. And for someone who spends all their time posting about a 40 year old system that never took off, I find your comment amusing.

When you present me with an opportunity to learn, loml, I will most certainly take advantage of it. As of yet, you have provided nothing new under the sun...just the same old stuff that has been around for 40 years.

Do you have facts to back up your claim that there are no Bi-Bi programs that operate under the specific principles of Bi-Bi education? If so, I owuld like to see them. If not, we'll just consider it to be you throwing things off the top of your head again that cannot be supported.

I agreed, I've done my share of bashing too, so I'm not perfect but I do apologize if I did push a few parents off this forum. for now on I'm trying to keep peace on both sides. I understand what it like to be a parents and how people jump in trying to tell me what I'm doing is wrong. I think you're doing a great job and you made that decision based on what you felt was right for your children. keep up the good work :hug:

That is extremley disgusted to influence other the children's parents to see many kids in their Deaf children's classroom who have most CI.

one out of 14 who has a good speech skill. What a worth to have CI? *sigh*

I am very disappointed in medical society pressure on the parents.

The only thing disgusted me is those who make hearing parents feel like chit when they choose to implant their deaf children with CI. If hearing aids don't work then what do you expect these parents to do next?

[I just want to leave you all note reminding you what the topic is really about. This thread was created about people being against parents implanting their children. It was not about educational programs to begin with. I think we just need to get back on topic in here.

While I believe the educational topics are just as important. We do need to discuss the views that are still lingering on people being against the implants. There are still many people that will exclude us Ciers, simply because we have one. Is that also what we want to teach our deaf children of the future?

[I just want to leave you all note reminding you what the topic is really about. This thread was created about people being against parents implanting their children. It was not about educational programs to begin with. I think we just need to get back on topic in here.

While I believe the educational topics are just as important. We do need to discuss the views that are still lingering on people being against the implants. There are still many people that will exclude us Ciers, simply because we have one. Is that also what we want to teach our deaf children of the future?

Point well taken, Bear.

Agreed, sorry about that Bear,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back