Other people perspective AGAINST C.I. for the Deaf children

Status
Not open for further replies.
shel90- this is your statement:

Originally Posted by shel90

I am simply asking you what you deem a complex concept?

How are you keeping both languages seperate?

If you are in fact using ASL, English, (which presuming you mean in print or are you referring to spoken?) Japanese, JSL, etc , then how are you not mixing up both languages? Or is it combined because of the varying language levels of your students?

When I sign, I sign without using English words in voice.

When I am using spoken English, I dont sign.

In my class, I showed the kids samples of what Japanese sign language (the very few I learned for the sake of the lesson and some Japanese writings) for the purpose of giving the kids the concept that Japanese kids do not use the same languages we do. I am not teaching them to become fluent in Japanese sign language nor how to read and write in Japanese. The kids can do that later on when they are older and besides, I am not even fluent in either languages. Just got the info from the curriculm and showed the kids the differences. That is all.

Originally posted by jillio

Don't trust Wikipedia too much for your information. What you see there has been compiled from anyone who cares to type in information. Its a source known for it inaccuracies

:giggle:

I hope that someone who teaches the high school or college level can come in here and answer your questions.

I am just a measly elementary ed teacher. LOL! :giggle:

I hope that someone who teaches the high school or college level can come in here and answer your questions.

Ahhh....yes, but do you teach your students the difference between a book and a radio? ASL would come in very handy for that!

shel90- All passionate teachers have a vital role in the education of a child. Elementary teachers, such as yourself, are part of a valuable foundation for future learning.

shel90- All passionate teachers have a vital role in the education of a child. Elementary teachers, such as yourself, are part of a valuable foundation for future learning.

Thanks..I was just poking fun of myself.

I am just excited cuz I am going to meet a family who lives down the street whose 2 year old daughter is deaf. They are coming over tonight. :)

Ahhh....yes, but do you teach your students the difference between a book and a radio? ASL would come in very handy for that!

That would be done in less than 5 mins.

When I sign, I sign without using English words in voice.

When I am using spoken English, I dont sign.

I understand that shel90.

In my class, I showed the kids samples of what Japanese sign language (the very few I learned for the sake of the lesson and some Japanese writings) for the purpose of giving the kids the concept that Japanese kids do not use the same languages we do. I am not teaching them to become fluent in Japanese sign language nor how to read and write in Japanese. The kids can do that later on when they are older and besides, I am not even fluent in either languages. Just got the info from the curriculm and showed the kids the differences. That is all.

Shel90- When you are referring to the curriculum textbook, written in English text---for example, having the students answer questions from the back of the chapter, do you discuss the topic in English and have the students respond in the English language and/or written form?

Shel90- When you are referring to the curriculum textbook, written in English text---for example, having the students answer questions from the back of the chapter, do you discuss the topic in English and have the students respond in the English language and/or written form?

That would depend. Is it an English textbook? And, once again, shel teaches elementary students.

discussions are done in ASL. I already explained how it works when I answered your question about Russian literature.

I am going to meet a family who lives down the street whose 2 year old daughter is deaf.
OT, but that's awesome! Maybe you can influence them into sending her to Marlyland School for the Deaf!!!! You'll also be a good role model for her!
This debate is exactly the same as the English vs. whatever language in bilingal ed.

OT, but that's awesome! Maybe you can influence them into sending her to Marlyland School for the Deaf!!!! You'll also be a good role model for her!
This debate is exactly the same as the English vs. whatever language in bilingal ed.

They are coming over in about an hour. I am so nervous.

According to my son's speech therapist, when they learned of their daughter's diagnosis, they immediately took ASL classes and because of that, their daughter's ASL is so advanced for her age. My speech therapist said that she can even fingerspell a few words...WOW! from a hearing family who didnt know ASL before!!!! I just want to hug them! This shows how important full access to language is for the little ones.

The parents are so thrilled that we live 5 mins from them and they said they have been searching for a family who has a kid their daughter's age who can sign. I have always wanted my kids to have one or two deaf friends..now my 2 year old son may have a new friend!

PS..sorry for not responding to u on aim..I keep leaving my aim on and forgetting about it. ugh!

When you say "no two people use ASL the same" what exactly is it that you mean? Are you talking about using MCEs? Because MCEs and ASL are not the same thing.

What I am saying is each person puts their own signature on there ASL. It seems some use voice, some without, that is what I meant. Is it wrong if they use their voice? Is it wrong if they do not?

If you look at education, no two teacher teaches the same either. The only wrong way to teach is if your students' educational needs are not being meet.

I have a question, around what percentage of teachers at your school, Shel are deaf or HOH? I was reading that the percentages are very low. Even though my school is public regular education, we have three teachers who are deaf/HOH(two deaf and one HOH) on staff.

What I am saying is each person puts their own signature on there ASL. It seems some use voice, some without, that is what I meant. Is it wrong if they use their voice? Is it wrong if they do not?

If you look at education, no two teacher teaches the same either. The only wrong way to teach is if your students' educational needs are not being meet.

I have a question, around what percentage of teachers at your school, Shel are deaf or HOH? I was reading that the percentages are very low. Even though my school is public regular education, we have three teachers who are deaf/HOH(two deaf and one HOH) on staff.

I'm still a little confused. Of the ASL users you are referring to, do they voice in ASL syntax? Or in English syntax?

Even when teachers interject their own personal style into their teaching, they still use a foundation of a specific methodology. I personally, in my profession, have adapted Adlerian theory to fit the specific population with which I work. However, I still adhere to the basic tenets of Adlerian theory. I can't, for instance, use Freudian Theory in technique, and say I am using Alderlerian Theory. That is what I am talking about.

At my school it is about 50% give or take.

What I am saying is each person puts their own signature on there ASL.

I agree with you, vallee. In my experience, the style/signature can change depending on the setting.

It seems some use voice, some without, that is what I meant. Is it wrong if they use their voice? Is it wrong if they do not?

vallee- In the interpretor training program in my province, you cannot voice or mouth the English words while signing. This is absolutely a no no. The learning enviroment is very strict. These rules apply to both hearing and deaf. I would add here, this is in my definition, very formal ASL. The "little green book", is strictly adhered to.

If you learn ASL in a community setting in my area, it is much more casual and is termed: "Conversational ASL." There is some mouthing of the English words, but very little voice. Here, I think it really depends on the skill level of the students learning sign language. The Deaf ASL instructors that I know are very accomodating to hearing people learning ASL and will voice, when a person has the "what???" look on their face. :) I myself, do not believe that there is wrong way in this situation.

vallee- How many students do you have in your class? Do the students who have been identified as having learning/behavioural issues (here it is called coding), have access to educational assitants in your classroom?

I'm still a little confused. Of the ASL users you are referring to, do they voice in ASL syntax? Or in English syntax?

Even when teachers interject their own personal style into their teaching, they still use a foundation of a specific methodology. I personally, in my profession, have adapted Adlerian theory to fit the specific population with which I work. However, I still adhere to the basic tenets of Adlerian theory. I can't, for instance, use Freudian Theory in technique, and say I am using Alderlerian Theory. That is what I am talking about.

The ones I am around use English syntax.

specific methodology yes, but not always. There really is not a methology like teacher-centered, interactive, individualizated, and experiential. I for one use a combination of best practice/research base teaching and Marzano. I have seen teachers who love multi-intelligences and whole langauge. There are so many teaching styles and most use a combination of strategies.

I teach 5th grade. Most teachers in 5th grade do not use manipulatives for math, I do. I use hands on teaching strategies. I use a lot of graphic organizers with spiral teaching. I also practice Dale's Cone of Experience with my teaching. I can go on and on. It depends on the class and their ability. I don't want to be put into one set teaching philosophy or methodology. Teaching is about knowing the subject benchmarks and how to get your students to understand the concepts and think on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back