Other people perspective AGAINST C.I. for the Deaf children

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you, vallee. In my experience, the style/signature can change depending on the setting.

vallee- In the interpretor training program in my province, you cannot voice or mouth the English words while signing. This is absolutely a no no. The learning enviroment is very strict. These rules apply to both hearing and deaf. I would add here, this is in my definition, very formal ASL. The "little green book", is strictly adhered to.

If you learn ASL in a community setting in my area, it is much more casual and is termed: "Conversational ASL." There is some mouthing of the English words, but very little voice. Here, I think it really depends on the skill level of the students learning sign language. The Deaf ASL instructors that I know are very accomodating to hearing people learning ASL and will voice, when a person has the "what???" look on their face. :) I myself, do not believe that there is wrong way in this situation.

vallee- How many students do you have in your class? Do the students who have been identified as having learning/behavioural issues (here it is called coding), have access to educational assitants in your classroom?

Thank you for explaining. It makes sense.

My 5th graders are special education. I teach full inclusion between two classes. So I have 26 in one class and 20 in the other class. I have 8 on my set roll. I teach small group reading, whole group reading, literacy stations, small group math, intervention Science/Social Studies, and writing. I also maintain and monitor behavior. I have two educational assistants between four teachers, so I see my aide about 45 minutes twice a week. I only have one HOH student and she is with me for 45 mintues a day. I was going to move her to another classroom for math since she has mastered her benchmarks. She does not want to go, since we have bonded over the fact I understand and relate to her with my hearing loss. So she is staying with me.

I would love to move to a deaf/HOH classroom. We do have self-contained classrooms that use total communications. That is one reason I am taking ASL.

vallee- In the interpretor training program in my province, you cannot voice or mouth the English words while signing. This is absolutely a no no.

You can if you sign in SEE because it represent the use of English vocabulary and grammar. But, with ASL It's impossible to voice or mouth in English words, It will be in ASL syntax same as signing in syntax, Interpreters in my experience don't sign ASL more closer to SEE than ASL.

The reason that TODs don't sign ASL and voice at the same time is because the syntax and vocabulary of ASL and English are different. They will use lip movement

I am aware of that. Lip movement is better than nothing. I can work with that. :)

I strongly recommend you to borrow books from the library to read many books about Deaf language and will help you to understand better. If you take ASL class, they will explain you more than this thread. It apparently causes everyone frustration to explain again and again....

I've done my research on Deaf Culture of the centuries, I've read books on different Education Historical. (sign language vs. oral-based education)

So, don't tell me what I don't understand and what I don't know. Let's not forget people have different opinions, Is it wrong for me to share my own deaf perspective on this controversial subject? Anyone is welcome to disagree with me, but it doesn't make my perspective any less valid as any one in here.

I am so much aware that ASL is not English and I never said it was either, I always knew that ASL has distinct rules for grammar and sentence syntax.

The ones I am around use English syntax.

specific methodology yes, but not always. There really is not a methology like teacher-centered, interactive, individualizated, and experiential. I for one use a combination of best practice/research base teaching and Marzano. I have seen teachers who love multi-intelligences and whole langauge. There are so many teaching styles and most use a combination of strategies.

I teach 5th grade. Most teachers in 5th grade do not use manipulatives for math, I do. I use hands on teaching strategies. I use a lot of graphic organizers with spiral teaching. I also practice Dale's Cone of Experience with my teaching. I can go on and on. It depends on the class and their ability. I don't want to be put into one set teaching philosophy or methodology. Teaching is about knowing the subject benchmarks and how to get your students to understand the concepts and think on their own.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. Voicing in English syntax while signing...chances are they are using PSE rather than ASL.

I differentiate between teaching style, and theory base. For instance, teacher centered would be a theory to me.

I can undestand that you need to adjust the strategies you use...you teach special ed., don't you? That would certainly require a more ecclectic approach due to a greater variance in student need. It's good that you are open to whatever strategies work with your students.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. Voicing in English syntax while signing...chances are they are using PSE rather than ASL.

I differentiate between teaching style, and theory base. For instance, teacher centered would be a theory to me.

I can undestand that you need to adjust the strategies you use...you teach special ed., don't you? That would certainly require a more ecclectic approach due to a greater variance in student need. It's good that you are open to whatever strategies work with your students.

Most upper level education is teacher-centered. I don't used that often. I am not lecture base. In Dale's Cone of Experience , people generally remember 10% of what they read and only 20%-30% of what they hear or see. Alot of college courses teach to that. I tend to do more demonstrations, creating, and developing with my students. Dale's Cone is not what most call it today, but it is really Bloom's Taxonomy. I wish I could remember what we called it again in my inservice last year.

Even when I taught regular education, I still taught this way. It is what provides the greatest amount of mastery.

But theory in studying do not neccessary work in the real educational setting. My basic principals of education are classroom managment and good planning, and importantly know your stuff.

Last edited:
Most upper level education is teacher-centered. I don't used that often. I am not lecture base. In Dale's Cone of Experience , people generally remember 10% of what they read and only 20%-30% of what they hear or see. Alot of college courses teach to that. I tend to do more demonstrations, creating, and developing with my students. Dale's Cone is not what most call it today, but it is really Bloom's Taxonomy. I wish I could remember what we called it again in my inservice last year.

Even when I taught regular education, I still taught this way. It is what provides the greatest amount of mastery.

But theory in studying do not neccessary work in the real educational setting. My basic principals of education are classroom managment and good planning, and importantly know your stuff.

Agreed. You concentrate on a more student centered approach. Not seen so much in upper levels, as you say, but not completely unheard of, either. My nephew uses a very student centered approach in his 7-9th grade social studies classes, and his 10th grade lit classes. We even have a few professors that use a student centered approach, although they are few and far between.

Just wanted to say that I met the family with the little girl. I have just one word..."WOW!!!" This family did all the right things. She is soooo way ahead of my son language-wise. They are not fluent in ASL but pretty damn good considering they only learned 2 years ago and their daughter signs like she is from a deaf family.

This is one blessed little girl.

Yes, they are thinking of getting a CI for her but they want her to continue with ASL even if the CI works for her. Wow...

Just wanted to say that I met the family with the little girl. I have just one word..."WOW!!!" This family did all the right things. She is soooo way ahead of my son language-wise. They are not fluent in ASL but pretty damn good considering they only learned 2 years ago and their daughter signs like she is from a deaf family.

Yes, they are thinking of getting a CI for her but they want her to continue with ASL even if the CI works for her. Wow...

Wonderful! It's great that they are close enough to give your son a deaf playmate, and that you can be a friend and mentor to them as they make decisions for their daughter. As the mother of a deaf child, I can't tell you how much it means to have a deaf adult to turn to when you are unsure. It sounds like this was a situation that was meant to be for all of you!

Hope, they will change their mind to not get her CI.

Wonderful! It's great that they are close enough to give your son a deaf playmate, and that you can be a friend and mentor to them as they make decisions for their daughter. As the mother of a deaf child, I can't tell you how much it means to have a deaf adult to turn to when you are unsure. It sounds like this was a situation that was meant to be for all of you!

When I hugged the little girl, it was like I felt a special bond. My friend who was over also said the same thing too. Maybe cuz she is deaf like the both of us?

The couple said that Nathan acts so much like a deaf kid. Funny, they kept tapping Nathan to get his attention as if he is deaf and I kept calling the girl to get her attention as if she is hearing. Habits!!! The couple said everytime we call Nathan's name, they get startled cuz they kept forgetting that he is hearing. A lot of other people say the same thing about Nathan..he acts like a deaf kid with facial expressions and waving his hand to get people's attention. LOL! Nathan got very very jealous when I hugged their girl..ooops.

Oh, guess what the couple told me. They said that when their daughter was born, the hearing test results showed that she was hearing. They said right away, they knew she was deaf. How interesting is that? Just like Mac and I have a funny feeling that Nathan is hard of hearing but his hearing tests show that he is fully hearing. We still arent 100% sure and then when the couple told us about their experiences, now we wonder.

Hope, they will change their mind to not get her CI.

That's their decision..I am staying neutral about it. At least, they are going to try hearing aids again. She has a hearing dB loss of 90 and I told them that mine is 120 dB but because I was well trained to use them the way I do, I was able to make good use of them despite my severe hearing loss. I told them maybe their daughter needed more training with her HAs. They said she wore them before and no response with them on. I explained that maybe she heard sounds but they had no meaning to her hence the no response. They said they never thought of that. See what happens. They said that all of the kids in her deaf toddler class have CIs. That 14 kids! I was like woowwww...things have sure changed. Funny, they told me that only one of them has good speech skills already but the ohters none so far. Interesting.

That's their decision..I am staying neutral about it. At least, they are going to try hearing aids again. She has a hearing dB loss of 90 and I told them that mine is 120 dB but because I was well trained to use them the way I do, I was able to make good use of them despite my severe hearing loss. I told them maybe their daughter needed more training with her HAs. They said she wore them before and no response with them on. I explained that maybe she heard sounds but they had no meaning to her hence the no response. They said they never thought of that. See what happens. They said that all of the kids in her deaf toddler class have CIs. That 14 kids! I was like woowwww...things have sure changed. Funny, they told me that only one of them has good speech skills already but the ohters none so far. Interesting.

That is extremley disgusted to influence other the children's parents to see many kids in their Deaf children's classroom who have most CI.

one out of 14 who has a good speech skill. What a worth to have CI? *sigh*

I am very disappointed in medical society pressure on the parents.

When I hugged the little girl, it was like I felt a special bond. My friend who was over also said the same thing too. Maybe cuz she is deaf like the both of us?

The couple said that Nathan acts so much like a deaf kid. Funny, they kept tapping Nathan to get his attention as if he is deaf and I kept calling the girl to get her attention as if she is hearing. Habits!!! The couple said everytime we call Nathan's name, they get startled cuz they kept forgetting that he is hearing. A lot of other people say the same thing about Nathan..he acts like a deaf kid with facial expressions and waving his hand to get people's attention. LOL! Nathan got very very jealous when I hugged their girl..ooops.

Oh, guess what the couple told me. They said that when their daughter was born, the hearing test results showed that she was hearing. They said right away, they knew she was deaf. How interesting is that? Just like Mac and I have a funny feeling that Nathan is hard of hearing but his hearing tests show that he is fully hearing. We still arent 100% sure and then when the couple told us about their experiences, now we wonder.

Kind of like watching her and seeing yourself as a toddler, huh? That's cool. It will be such an advantage for her to have deaf adults to look up to, shel. You've heard, I'm sure, about how many dea children think deaf kids grow up to be hearing adults because they are never exposed to another deaf adult. That is sad, indeed. Deaf children need deaf adults in their lives in order to develop realistic perspectives from a psychological and social stand.

I always tell parents to listen to their gut. I knew my son was deaf long before any of the professionals confirmed it. The little things tell you what you need to know.

This sounds like a wonderful family. Such open minded and loving parents, and a little girl that is getting off on the right path. I look forward to hearing more. Next time you see them, give all 3 a hug from me!

That is where you will be so valuable to them. You can give them a perspective they can only get from a deaf adult who has lived it. I'm so proud of you for stepping up like that. You are making a difference in this family's life. I can tell you from experience that it will mean the world to them.

Kind of like watching her and seeing yourself as a toddler, huh? That's cool. It will be such an advantage for her to have deaf adults to look up to, shel. You've heard, I'm sure, about how many dea children think deaf kids grow up to be hearing adults because they are never exposed to another deaf adult. That is sad, indeed. Deaf children need deaf adults in their lives in order to develop realistic perspectives from a psychological and social stand.

I always tell parents to listen to their gut. I knew my son was deaf long before any of the professionals confirmed it. The little things tell you what you need to know.

This sounds like a wonderful family. Such open minded and loving parents, and a little girl that is getting off on the right path. I look forward to hearing more. Next time you see them, give all 3 a hug from me!

It is obvious that their little girl is their pride and joy. they also have a hearing 3 month old boy and they said they arent used to having a hearing kid. I thought that was interesting.

That is where you will be so valuable to them. You can give them a perspective they can only get from a deaf adult who has lived it. I'm so proud of you for stepping up like that. You are making a difference in this family's life. I can tell you from experience that it will mean the world to them.

Thanks..they were soooo young like barely out of their teens! I was shocked and they looked very classy too. Wait and see how things go.

It is obvious that their little girl is their pride and joy. they also have a hearing 3 month old boy and they said they arent used to having a hearing kid. I thought that was interesting.

I know what they mean. I used to be around hearing kids when P.J. was little, and I would sign to them, or tap them on the soulder...stuff like that. I still have to watch myself if a hearing kid doesn't understand something I've said, I will start signing without even thinking about it, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back