One dead in movie theater shooting in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
That update also mentioned Reeves claimed he was being assaulted.

... which the authorities say there is no evidence of that. witnesses saw no assault.

I have absolutely absolutely absolutely no idea how did you come up with that speculation. there's absolutely NOTHING in the article that even supports any single shred of your speculation.

Apparently you haven't read the update on CNN then. Oh well.

If you look up the regulations in most states, you will find that police officers, on and off duty, and retired officers can carry a concealed weapon at any time, any place. This includes many judges, prosecutors, and other public officials. If going on an airplane, they must show proof of who they are and follow the airlines rules.

The shooting by the retired officer is of course a crime. Shooting an unarmed man who did not physically attack him is wrong in any situation. Because many theaters now ban weapons, I will not visit that theater. I will not become a sitting duck like those in Colorado. DVDs will soon be out anyway.

What's next? Killing someone in a theater for accidentally spilling a Coke on a lap?

If you look up the regulations in most states, you will find that police officers, on and off duty, and retired officers can carry a concealed weapon at any time, any place. This includes many judges, prosecutors, and other public officials. If going on an airplane, they must show proof of who they are and follow the airlines rules.

The shooting by the retired officer is of course a crime. Shooting an unarmed man who did not physically attack him is wrong in any situation. Because many theaters now ban weapons, I will not visit that theater. I will not become a sitting duck like those in Colorado. DVDs will soon be out anyway.

What's next? Killing someone in a theater for accidentally spilling a Coke on a lap?

I thought it was popcorn, not the pop (Coke). Beside he had his pistol laying on his lap after the shooting. :hmm:

EDIT: I know it is just speculation. **sigh**

Reeves is using his imagination on his own fear. Yeah, right. :roll:

That May or may not be true. But he apparently did not shoot the 43 year old for texting. He shot him because he felt he was being assaulted. Now whether he was or not, I did notice that the victim's wife's hand was on his chest when he got shot. Her hand was shot. That tells me that she was not trying to protect him from getting shot, she was trying to rein him in because he was out of control. Even the witnesses claimed that he was raising his voice at Reeves, and now they are saying he threw popcorn at Reeves. Whether or not he took a swing at Reeves while holding popcorn or not is debatable now.

I would think that a police officer, with years of training, would know when a situation was escalating to a point it was getting out of hand. I do not think that a police officer with the many years of training that Reeves' had, would shoot and kill someone simply for having a hissy fit in public. I could be wrong of course, and it is only my opinion.

As it stands now, he wasn't shot for texting, which is the only point I have made all along. Something else was going on.

Apparently you haven't read the update on CNN then. Oh well.

I read it. So what part supports your claim?

From CNN.com:

Reeves' attorney, Richard Escobar, argued that because Reeves has lived in the area for many years, has a wife and two children and a grandchild, worked in law enforcement and security, attends church and Bible study, and has ailments such as arthritis and bursitis, he should be given bond. The courtroom was filled with Reeves' former colleagues and family members who could speak to his client's "great character," Escobar said, adding that Reeves has "no propensity toward violence."

The attorney tried to persuade Circuit Judge Lynn Tepper that the former police officer was actually the victim in the incident and that Oulson was the "aggressor."

Judge Tepper said "there was no evidence to support that claim", according to a probable cause affidavit. She denied bond and ruled that Reeves should face the second-degree murder charge.

If I was in trouble, I would want my lawyer to spin my life to make me look like a saint. :lol:

That May or may not be true. But he apparently did not shoot the 43 year old for texting. He shot him because he felt he was being assaulted. Now whether he was or not, I did notice that the victim's wife's hand was on his chest when he got shot. Her hand was shot. That tells me that she was not trying to protect him from getting shot, she was trying to rein him in because he was out of control. Even the witnesses claimed that he was raising his voice at Reeves, and now they are saying he threw popcorn at Reeves. Whether or not he took a swing at Reeves while holding popcorn or not is debatable now.

I would think that a police officer, with years of training, would know when a situation was escalating to a point it was getting out of hand. I do not think that a police officer with the many years of training that Reeves' had, would shoot and kill someone simply for having a hissy fit in public. I could be wrong of course, and it is only my opinion.

As it stands now, he wasn't shot for texting, which is the only point I have made all along. Something else was going on.

and you're speculating... and making a judgement already before facts....

and the most hilarious part? the facts say opposite... and still you're not listening. oh well.

If no physical contact why shoot the father who texted to his daughter? :ugh:

yes he will say that who wouldnt?
is facing along time inside
he better be saying that
fear of what?

Right now, everything is speculation. Including that a retired cop shot a guy for texting and throwing popcorn.

If the 43 year old moved towards the shooter in a violent and tumultuous manner while near popcorn, then popcorn could appear to have been thrown. The witnesses have indicated they did not see who threw it. Again, speculation.

The ex cop up got and left the theater to get his gun , he could had very easily moved to another seat if he did not like being near a person texting during the previews. The other guy was unarmed so the cop shot a man in cold blood , there is no way to justice what the cop did. He could had gotten up and walked away and that would ended the whole thing .

he probably thought he can pull a Zimmerman. sorry nope not this time.

Ah, well. We'll let the long arm of the law decide that. I do know that for 2nd degree murder, it's a life sentence, but he could get less than that, but I could also be wrong, as well.

Ah, well. We'll let the long arm of the law decide that. I do know that for 2nd degree murder, it's a life sentence, but he could get less than that, but I could also be wrong, as well.

it's a life sentence. they're pushing for it. judging from the picture of him in his suicide vest and his emotionless replies to judge... he looks very disconnected from reality and he must be suffering from extreme PTSD. his police background may looks impressive and successful but it comes with a heavy cost... a huge toll on his mental health.

yeah, being arrested for murder can take a toll on one's mental health too :roll:

I am eager to read what his defense is going to put together. The Judge told the defense they can appear before a different judge for bail at a later date.

Reeves shot him because he was pissed off that Oulson threw popcorn at him. Plain and simple. Remember many cops and ex-cops always feel they are above law.

For some strange reason, this whole incident reminds me of short story by Flannery O'Connor. Well, actually, it reminds me of a line one of the main characters said in "A Good Man is Hard To Find"

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back