One dead in movie theater shooting in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most aggravating thing in movie theatres for me is the kicking the back of my chair...it's annoying!...or people getting up and down and blocking the view...kids "making out"....Cell phones...and now texting...What do people go to a theatre for anyway?...And pay good $$ for other people to do annoying and aggravating things?...I'd rather stay home too.

Getting into an argument, even getting physical is one thing...but shooting someone over something like this is a No, No.

On Tuesday, Curtis Reeves, 71, made his first appearance in court for a charge of second-degree murder. Reeves' attorney, Richard Escobar, tried to persuade Circuit Judge Lynn Tepper that the former police officer was actually the victim in the incident and that Oulson was the "aggressor."

Police said despite Reeves' claim that he was in fear of his safety, this was not a case for Florida's "stand your ground" defense.

"Working with the state attorney's office it was determined that stand-your-ground does not fly here in this case," Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco said.

Authorities said a preliminary investigation had determined that there was no physical contact during the incident Monday afternoon at a theater in the Tampa suburb of Wesley Chapel. It was popcorn, thrown by Oulson, 43, that struck Reeves.

Sgt. Steve Greiner, the first Pasco County deputy to encounter Reeves, said the suspect was very calm as he sat in his chair. He had an almost distant stare toward the screen, Greiner said.

Reeves also stared silently into a closed-circuit camera Tuesday, listening to Escobar tell Tepper why his client should be granted bail.

Tepper said there was no evidence to support the claim that the shooter was a victim, according to a probable cause affidavit. She denied bond and ruled that Reeves should face the second-degree murder charge.

The judge addressed Reeves and asked him if he understood what had happened and that he was facing life in prison; Reeves said he did. Reeves' attorney then said that he and his client would speak in private, indicating that the former officer should not say anything in court.

Reeves wore a bullet-resistant vest. Nocco said it was for the defendant's safety

"He came back very irritated," Cummings recalled.

Voices were raised. Oulson threw a bag of popcorn at Reeves, police said. Then, the former police officer took out a .380 semi-automatic handgun and shot Oulson.

During Reeves' first appearance Tuesday, his attorney argued that Oulson was the "aggressor."

"It may or may not have been popcorn," Judge Tepper said, but an unknown object "does not equal" taking out a gun.

Witnesses told police they saw no punches being thrown during the incident, according to the report.

There were about 25 people in the movie theater. After the shooting, some tried to help Oulson and to make sure no other people were hurt.

An off-duty deputy sheriff from Sumter County rushed over to make sure no more shots were fired and that the shooter was not going to get up.

One of two nurses in the audience ran to Oulson's side and performed CPR until paramedics arrived. An autopsy will be conducted Tuesday.

Bond denied for ex-cop Curtis Reeves who allegedly shot texting dad - CNN.com

The article explained very clearly.

Thank you for the link.

(when you have seen enough people argue, and use sign communication as a primary means of effective communication, you tend to pick up things such as body language - she was not trying to protect her husband, she was trying to call him off)
I don't doubt that you're good at reading body language but you weren't present to see any body language happening, nor did you see a video of what happened.

However, as I stated, regardless of the reason her hand was there, she was wounded by the shooter, so it wasn't a clean shot.

Too many conflicting reports. On HLN just now they said the wife was trying to shield her husband, and that the shooter was in court wearing a bullet proof vest.

Just a completely random thought and not directed at anyone in particular (most of my posts are not directed at anyone and are not meant to be taken personally).

I do not see guns as "the problem". What I see, is an alarming trend that showing disrespect is now acceptable. If you disagree with someone, you can openly mock their opinions, their beliefs, and their "culture" if you feel it is at polarizing odds with your own. This is especially true when it comes to politics. In this situation, I see a lack of common courtesy, that was once taken for granted, but somehow is now apparently ... gone. The small things like "Yes maam, no maam, yes sir, no sir, thank you, please, etc. " are somehow antiquated now ... and manners have been flung out the window and replaced with a harsh bluntness. In other words, I see a gradual social decline in acting with grace.

I currently see more people, in general (again, not posting towards anyone in particular) being far more ugly towards each other than I have ever seen. What's in the water? Why have there been so many shootings recently? Why are people so angry at each other? Why are so many people lashing out violently? A day hasn't gone by from this shooting when yet another school shooting happened in New Mexico.

For those blaming this on "gun culture" ... why isn't this same exact trend happening in Switzerland, where nearly every household has a firearm?

I think the debate on gun control needs to remain a bit more honest than it has been. A large part of the dishonesty has been coming from misleading reports in the media. There were false reports during the Newton School shooting, false reports during the Trayvon Martin incident, false reports during the Aurora shooting .... it is an endless spiral of sensationalism by a media focusing on gun control.

Just thoughts to ponder.

Depends on your settings. It can click.

Would the "clicking" annoy you if you were trying to watch a good movie?...And if you did ask the person to please don't text...and they did anyway...so you go complain to the manager...come back...and the culprit is angry and throws his popcorn at you?....seems the 71 yr. old was no match for a 40-something....and IF in fact, if the older man thought the guy was going to attack him after throwing the popcorn....well...he shot him.

I would be angry...Get up and leave the theatre and demand my money back.

Would the "clicking" annoy you if you were trying to watch a good movie?...And if you did ask the person to please don't text...and they did anyway...so you go complain to the manager...come back...and the culprit is angry and throws his popcorn at you?....seems the 71 yr. old was no match for a 40-something....and IF in fact, if the older man thought the guy was going to attack him after throwing the popcorn....well...he shot him.

I would be angry...Get up and leave the theatre and demand my money back.

I still do not see that as a reason to take someone's life though. Being angry at someone for not complying with a simple demand is not enough reason to shoot them.

However, if the 43 year old was combative, aggressive, menacing and threatening .... different story.

Weren't they still on the previews anyway? I heard the movie hadn't even started

Depends on your settings. It can click.

What about people eating food during the movie , digging your hands into the box of popcorn made a sound and some people are very noisy when eating anything. The cop had to angry about something else beside the guy texting .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3e6MuFZjmk]"Please Turn Off Your Cell Phone" - YouTube[/ame]

Personally I think the shooter thought..."Hey, this dude is pissing me off. I'll take care of that problem."

I'm definitely thinking twice before stepping foot in a movie theater again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back