North Korea readying rockets to aim at U.S. targets, state media says

Your friend is angry at the whole country of the US, or he's angry with the government or military leadership, or something else?

The long tours of duty and repeat deployments are too much stress and strain for the military and their families.

I wish our government would pay back with a token they'd appreciate very much for a hefty price they pay for this country. I feel like we're giving them a penny for their dollar. we should at least give them a quarter.

don't think of obliteration as in bombing a country flat and everything's done. it just means we literally destroyed it - everything to the point where that country requires an international assistance to be a self-sustained country.

that's why now we're fighting with insurgents, not a country because the country did not have army/police/government/etc to protect itself from insurgents. majority of insurgents are not even from the country we're fighting in.

that's what making it confusing for you.

That's not how I think of it, jiro. I think destroyed is a much better choice of a word in this case. We littered the region with our fallen soldiers. In no way, can I say that we obliterated them with a straight face.

We may have claimed that we were fighting Iraq but the truth was that we were fighting almost the entire middle east. Even when we were in Pakistan (our so-called ally).

I understand the war "formally" ended back in 2011. I'm saying it hasn't. You call them insurgents, I call them huge pockets of soldiers scattered around. Al queda is a lot bigger than you think.

I wish our government would pay back with a token they'd appreciate very much for a hefty price they pay for this country. I feel like we're giving them a penny for their dollar. we should at least give them a quarter.

Actually, he has earned a good deal of money. He had no kids so all his money just went into the bank. It's not about more money per se. He often talks about the 140+ hour work weeks. He is definitely being overused.

Actually, he has earned a good deal of money. He had no kids so all his money just went into the bank. It's not about more money per se. He often talks about the 140+ hour work weeks. He is definitely being overused.

oh he's a private defense contractor?

That's not how I think of it, jiro. I think destroyed is a much better choice of a word in this case. We littered the region with our fallen soldiers. In no way, can I say that we obliterated them with a straight face.
that's pretty much the same thing when we destroyed a country but we'll just move on and agree to disagree over semantics.

We may have claimed that we were fighting Iraq but the truth was that we were fighting almost the entire middle east. Even when we were in Pakistan (our so-called ally).

I understand the war "formally" ended back in 2011. I'm saying it hasn't. You call them insurgents, I call them huge pockets of soldiers scattered around. Al queda is a lot bigger than you think.

soldiers? Al Queda is not consisted of a huge pockets of soldiers. ABSOLUTELY NOT. Al Queda is a bunch of ruthless misguided idiots with guns funded by a rogue country or rich enemies.

soldiers know their duty and they are sworn to defend their country. unfortunately, the Americans said no to them and took away their dignity and guns. that's a major error in our decision that led to where we are now. We should have trusted Iraqi army in the first place especially when majority of them surrendered or didn't show up to fight against us. oh well.

Afghanistan didn't really have an army to begin with so that made our job 100x harder than Iraq.

oh he's a private defense contractor?
Nitro described him as an "officer."

However, he did refer to a "military contract," so I don't know. Usually only enlisted people, not officers, have contracts with end dates.

Nitro described him as an "officer."

However, he did refer to a "military contract," so I don't know. Usually only enlisted people, not officers, have contracts with end dates.

He's an officer. I'm pretty sure his ranking right now is Major. He MAY have been promoted to Lt Colonel or he turned it down or something. He is under contract with the military since they paid for his college (ROTC). After he finished college, he went to OSC or OTS before being deployed to Afghanistan upon completion.

that's pretty much the same thing when we destroyed a country but we'll just move on and agree to disagree over semantics.

soldiers? Al Queda is not consisted of a huge pockets of soldiers. ABSOLUTELY NOT. Al Queda is a bunch of ruthless misguided idiots with guns funded by a rogue country or rich enemies.

soldiers know their duty and they are sworn to defend their country. unfortunately, the Americans said no to them and took away their dignity and guns. that's a major error in our decision that led to where we are now. We should have trusted Iraqi army in the first place especially when majority of them surrendered or didn't show up to fight against us. oh well.

Afghanistan didn't really have an army to begin with so that made our job 100x harder than Iraq.

D'oh. You still fail to miss my point. 10,355 and still counting.

You can be unreasonably stubborn sometimes. Lol.

He's an officer. I'm pretty sure his ranking right now is Major. He MAY have been promoted to Lt Colonel or he turned it down or something. He is under contract with the military since they paid for his college (ROTC). After he finished college, he went to OSC or OTS before being deployed to Afghanistan upon completion.

aaaahhhh now I understand better :ty:

D'oh. You still fail to miss my point. 10,355 and still counting.

You can be unreasonably stubborn sometimes. Lol.

10,355+ is not from obliterating (destroying) a country. most of causalities was from rebuilding a country. that's the big difference.

OK. A contract for officers usually means a minimum requirement of service as "pay back" for schooling but without an end date. That is, an officer retains his commission and service indefinitely unless he is forced to leave, resigns his commission, becomes disabled, or retires. (Even after retirement, an officer can be recalled to active duty.) They don't have service contracts of set years the way enlisted people do.

OK. A contract for officers usually means a minimum requirement of service as "pay back" for schooling but without an end date. That is, an officer retains his commission and service indefinitely unless he is forced to leave, resigns his commission, becomes disabled, or retires. (Even after retirement, an officer can be recalled to active duty.) They don't have service contracts of set years the way enlisted people do.

I believe that's correct but he does have an end date. There's a lot more to it which has contributed to his anger... they extended his contract using (I won't say improper but instead will say) "vague" practices. He feels held against his will and he has mentioned that they tried to get him to extend again and he almost bought it.

He's also angry because he feels that every new group of kids he gets... is lazier than the ones before. He feels that the military has really started to coddle the soldiers some. His superiors are contributing to the problem. Or something like that.

My buddy's a pretty sharp guy and as patriotic as they get. When I say angry I don't mean on the verge of snapping either. He is disappointed with what he signed up for. He expected so much more and wanted so much more. Then they started taking advantage of him with the insane hours over an extended period.

I believe that's correct but he does have an end date. There's a lot more to it which has contributed to his anger... they extended his contract using (I won't say improper but instead will say) "vague" practices. He feels held against his will and he has mentioned that they tried to get him to extend again and he almost bought it.
That's the difference with commissioned officers and enlisted people. There really is no end date for commissioned officers. They are commissioned by the President (Commander in Chief), and serve at his pleasure, meaning the needs of the military department. They've recalled officers in their 90's after retirement (usually for special assignments, not to slog around in combat zones).

He's also angry because he feels that every new group of kids he gets... is lazier than the ones before. He feels that the military has really started to coddle the soldiers some. His superiors are contributing to the problem. Or something like that.
What do you expect from an entitled generation? Of course, it is up to the military to train that attitude out of them. I agree that the military, in general, is getting more slack, except in certain areas. Don't get me started on that.

My buddy's a pretty sharp guy and as patriotic as they get. When I say angry I don't mean on the verge of snapping either. He is disappointed with what he signed up for. He expected so much more and wanted so much more. Then they started taking advantage of him with the insane hours over an extended period.
Yes, the cumulative stress is very hard on our military members. :(

The left wing is well armed; they just don't talk about it. You'd be surprised at how many "more gun control" advocates have their own guns.

My only complaint now is that I can't buy any magazines for my new gun. I have only the one that it came with. There are none available; all sold out and not even available for back order. :(

Blame the right wing nut cases!

I personally did not get into this right wing left wind stuff until I realized how my personal safety, freedom and livlihood was being threatened by the right wing platform.
I am a gun control advocate and I have guns and believe in my right to own them and I believe that there is good reason to have some limits. I stand firmly in the middle of the road. Extremists on both sides are in the problem and not the solution.

... I am a gun control advocate and I have guns and believe in my right to own them and I believe that there is good reason to have some limits....
Exactly as I said.

Left wingers want gun control for everyone except themselves. :)

ah.... sounds like a stop loss order...

quite likely a stop loss order (seen a fictional film about it , so i know what it is)

I stand firmly in the middle of the road. Extremists on both sides are in the problem and not the solution.

Standing in the middle of the road will get you killed (like a 1/2" tall squirrel).

Back