Mobo and cpu question

:rofl: Yup VMware Fusion for Apple. It'll be great for demo how Windoz get dipped and infected with hordes of virus with no protection (firewall off and no security update like your Cracked version). Show that Apple is better than Windoz :rofl:

I use VirtualBox on Ubuntu to run cracked XP, It ran fine but most games that was installed cannot run because "debugger error" message kept popping up every time I tried to run the game. Few games would work. I remmy I ran Riven game on XP inside VMware on top of Windoz XP on my old 500mhz Dell lappy. It works great. But not VirtualBox. So Basically I wanted to run ANY games on Vmware on Ubuntu. (I've dl three different Vmwares, VMwares WS for Windows, VMware WS for Linux, Vmware WS for 64bit Linux). Burnt to CD to install. hee heee.

I saw 7200gt for $14 and 8800GT maybe around $50 to $90 if you are lucky. It may be used or pulled parts but works great. Usually graphic card last longer than mobo. My ATI Radeon 9000 Pro AGP card still runs great on 2nd mobo.

here's the Ebay site for starting bid.

EVGA NVIDIA 8800 GTS 320 - DDR3 - Almost New! NR!! - eBay (item 140267699058 end time Sep-19-08 07:43:24 PDT)

But still bid will go up fast once bid ending soon (of course lot people snipes just few seconds before end. I snipes too :lol: ).

Linux with Compiz will run better on older Nvidia 6800, 7200 ran the same. They said that It would make no difference if using 8800GT. It have to do with driver development for Linux.

Catty

That reason about virtual machine don't have enough horsepower to handle most of games, also lacks of information on video drivers as well, that cause games can't run so properly, if you install pirated version of XP on native PC (no virtual machine) then will work fine.

That reason about virtual machine don't have enough horsepower to handle most of games, also lacks of information on video drivers as well, that cause games can't run so properly, if you install pirated version of XP on native PC (no virtual machine) then will work fine.

Yes, I agree with you. That's why I am getting Foxconn mobo and will have 1GB DDR memory installed and 40gb hdd and Nvidia graphic card with 256mb or more graphic memory. This will be more than enuf to run VM. I would love to throw in 4GB of ddr memory then sky the limit!! (Foxconn board have 4 DDR slots tho) But 1GB DDR1 are xpensive now. Boo hoo!!

As for Pirated XP, I already did on my old Lappy. I installed VMware 4.0 on Cracked XP and installed Cracked XP inside of it too. :rofl: Right now old Dell lappy just had it's hdd was killed by me. I accidently dropped it 6 ft to cement floor from top of shelf. It slipped off my hand. I'm thinking about just sell it to Ebay as a part out or fix upper. It's too old to mess with it. I want another lappy that have powerful graphic card and able to boot from USB drive.

I am fully aware there are limitation on VM that would run limit numbers of games and applications.

Oh well that's life.

Catty

Yes, I agree with you. That's why I am getting Foxconn mobo and will have 1GB DDR memory installed and 40gb hdd and Nvidia graphic card with 256mb or more graphic memory. This will be more than enuf to run VM. I would love to throw in 4GB of ddr memory then sky the limit!! (Foxconn board have 4 DDR slots tho) But 1GB DDR1 are xpensive now. Boo hoo!!

As for Pirated XP, I already did on my old Lappy. I installed VMware 4.0 on Cracked XP and installed Cracked XP inside of it too. :rofl: Right now old Dell lappy just had it's hdd was killed by me. I accidently dropped it 6 ft to cement floor from top of shelf. It slipped off my hand. I'm thinking about just sell it to Ebay as a part out or fix upper. It's too old to mess with it. I want another lappy that have powerful graphic card and able to boot from USB drive.

I am fully aware there are limitation on VM that would run limit numbers of games and applications.

Oh well that's life.

Catty

or use bootloader to boot into XP or Linux.

Hey I got Foxconn motherboard today. I assembled it together and it won't POST!! But CPU fan and power supply fan runs. I knew AMD64 works fine so I suspected that DDR ram is bad. I emailed to seller that sold me Foxconn. He told me he tested the board with everything on it and it boots up to Windows without problem. I am going to test my DDR memory sticks to see if it is bad. If that be the case I would know board is okay.

Catty

Two of my DDR400 memory sticks are fine now. Annnnddd..... I decide to inspect Foxconn with flashlight to see if there's any crack, broken, nicks, open or shorts on both side of board...

Guess what!!!!

I found what's wrong with Foxconn MOBO!!!!!!!

NNNIIICCCKKKed' on bottom of mobo near where black brace that was bolted to hold the CPU Cooler bracket. Apparently a C A R E L E S S handling from seller packing before sent to me...

See pix below..
(mind you that I have cat's hair on tip of marker pointing at nick on board. Didn't see it till I blew up the image :lol: My new camera is a 8mp Canon A590 I bought few months ago. Dang good camera set in Macro!! )

I was :pissed:

And I sent Email to seller and explained him of my findings in a nice way. He told me send back the mobo and he will give me a replacment.

Man!! my blood pressure just rose and went back to normal. He's damn lucky that I didn't put evil black mark on his name on Ebay.

Sheesh, Another wait... I WANNA MOBO UP AND RUNNING NOOWW!!! boo hoo 'sniffle'

another pix of Foxconn mobo with Gigabyte Heat pipe cooler. Forgot to mention before.
Catty

Wow, you got good eyes to find the problem! Like an owl. I can't believe that can happen to any computer's motherboard. It's unbelievable! I am not familiar with the brand. By the way, I don't make a computer.

Wow, you got good eyes to find the problem! Like an owl. I can't believe that can happen to any computer's motherboard. It's unbelievable! I am not familiar with the brand. By the way, I don't make a computer.

:lol: can happen to any board. It look like someone carelessly placed board on area where sharp edge or object that can nick or scratch the board. It appears to me that Seller have many mobo and he might have stacked it up or slide the board near sharp objects.

Anything can nick, scratch, or scrape the board very easily. Even with coatings that board have, it's basically protects it from corrosion and moistures ect but not imprevious to any damage.

Mobo have layers of circuity like a sandwiches. Sometime board can get damaged without removing it from CPU case such as fequently insterting and removing memory sticks. Board flexes when installing memory sticks which is the most pressure point. The circuity in between "sandwitch" can get cracked and dislocated. Damage is irrepairable....

Because the memory socket "fingers tend to be strongest and getting latches to latch to the memory sticks. PCI, PCI-Express, AGP slots do not damage boards cuz pressure point isn't the highest and also the support situated where the screws hold the board nearby it. You just rock or wiggle the card into PCI or AGP slot which is easy on board. While Memory socket is like a bridge between two screws and require good pressure to get it in, wiggling or rocking wouldn't do much cuz latch can catch one end and won't let other end slide in. Must push in evenly to get both end latched.

That's why board instruction manual mentioned that it's best to install memory sticks on flat surface first then install board into CPU case.. In most case people including me don't always follow that...

I didn't need bifocal or magnifying glass to look for nick. Nick is easy to spot if you do careful scan. Just look for what you see where the mazes of circuity are and there should never be any interruption in between it.

This is why mobo is PICKY if one or more circuity around CPU ever had interruption, Board just won't boot up. Sometime partly damaged board can keep running as normal but without like keyboard, mouse, or any periphals connection damaged due to shortage, cracked circuity ect..

I accidently shorted old ASUS board's extra USB ports causing mouse port not to function because the new USB extension jack that use to plug on the mobo's USB pins had 5 wires instead of 4. One extra "ground" wire was connected to "no connection" pin hereby I was a newbie tho... I powered up the CPU and heard loud "Pop" with smoke coming out of CPU case :eek2:. So I had to use USB card on PCI port and got it working. It's like work around the cripple board. Luckily the Keyboard ports works fine but not mouse. Mouse shared same circuity with USB ports. I had to buy USB mouse and install driver in Win 98. That was more than 9 years ago...

That's my experience :lol:

Catty

I have a 6 months old Laptop, and I am not computer interior savvy, only the system savvy to me though, and I started to notice that my laptop drains the battery quickly and the laptop bottm becomes hot ( not TOO hot) and it occurs occassionally do you know what this has caused? I had to let it cool down for a while. It is pissing me off.

I have a 6 months old Laptop, and I am not computer interior savvy, only the system savvy to me though, and I started to notice that my laptop drains the battery quickly and the laptop bottm becomes hot ( not TOO hot) and it occurs occassionally do you know what this has caused? I had to let it cool down for a while. It is pissing me off.

It might have clogged cooling system where CPU located. Like Carpet, cat's fur, dust ect can clogs up and heat up the CPU. I had similiar problem with my laptop. I had to take it all apart and cleaned out cooling fin then put it all back together. Now it's running cooler and normal.

If you don't like taking it apart. You can use duster spray that you buy from Computer store or Hardware store. Usually it cost around $4 to $7 a can. It come with straw that you plug it into the nozzle and then stick the straw into the cooling fin side of CPU if the hole permits. Blow em out. Don't use all the can for that. Just burst spray and move to next hole ect. IN that way you clean out dust ect out of the CPU. Best do it outside or in garage cuz it's really dusty if you do.

Once you done with cleaning. Try run your lappy again. If runs cooler and better then that's all you need. You MIGHT have to re-do cleaning once every 4 to 6 months. Avoid laying it on top of carpet, sofa, or cloth table mat. You'll block or clog up the cooler intake so be careful. CPU cooler act like a mini "vaccuum" that suck dust, animal hair, ect..

What I did with my laptop is to raise a few inch on back end (laptop slants toward front) by using a stick-on rubber "feet" from Wal-mart. It's not expensive. Just stack TWO rubber feet together each rear part of laptop so you can raise the back end up. This will help increase cooler airflow under laptops.

It's fairly common that laptop "suck" air from bottom and blow on side. It's a major design flaw from many Laptop manufacter. They are to be blame for poorly designed cooling system.

I had old 500mhz Dell Latitude laptop which had the best cooling system that "suck from one side and blow on back side. It never clogs up.

I hope this would help you fix the overheating problems.

Catty

It might have clogged cooling system where CPU located. Like Carpet, cat's fur, dust ect can clogs up and heat up the CPU. I had similiar problem with my laptop. I had to take it all apart and cleaned out cooling fin then put it all back together. Now it's running cooler and normal.

If you don't like taking it apart. You can use duster spray that you buy from Computer store or Hardware store. Usually it cost around $4 to $7 a can. It come with straw that you plug it into the nozzle and then stick the straw into the cooling fin side of CPU if the hole permits. Blow em out. Don't use all the can for that. Just burst spray and move to next hole ect. IN that way you clean out dust ect out of the CPU. Best do it outside or in garage cuz it's really dusty if you do.

Once you done with cleaning. Try run your lappy again. If runs cooler and better then that's all you need. You MIGHT have to re-do cleaning once every 4 to 6 months. Avoid laying it on top of carpet, sofa, or cloth table mat. You'll block or clog up the cooler intake so be careful. CPU cooler act like a mini "vaccuum" that suck dust, animal hair, ect..

What I did with my laptop is to raise a few inch on back end (laptop slants toward front) by using a stick-on rubber "feet" from Wal-mart. It's not expensive. Just stack TWO rubber feet together each rear part of laptop so you can raise the back end up. This will help increase cooler airflow under laptops.

It's fairly common that laptop "suck" air from bottom and blow on side. It's a major design flaw from many Laptop manufacter. They are to be blame for poorly designed cooling system.

I had old 500mhz Dell Latitude laptop which had the best cooling system that "suck from one side and blow on back side. It never clogs up.

I hope this would help you fix the overheating problems.

Catty

Thanks for the tip - was expecting for your advice, should see if I can take the medium sized cover off and do some small dusty, if I can after training tonight, if not. Another time. It is really weird when the laptop overheats! :shock:

Thanks for the tip - was expecting for your advice, should see if I can take the medium sized cover off and do some small dusty, if I can after training tonight, if not. Another time. It is really weird when the laptop overheats! :shock:

Thanks!

You'll be surprised how much dust, hair, and craps clogged up the cooling fins when you clean it.

Catty

Before I went to training, I had a quick blow to the fan located but before that it was clogged with all these dusty schitt. :shock: The laptop is getting better, I will have a look inside just a pre-caution

Get AMD Dual Core =] Or even better, go for AMD Quad Core.
Most mobo's these days have more than 1 CPU's.

Intel tends to overheat, from my experience.

I disagreed. I own Intel LGA 775 E8400 Intel and it's faster than AMD.

I am jumping into Intel Bandwagon soon when I get $$'s

Catty

Before I went to training, I had a quick blow to the fan located but before that it was clogged with all these dusty schitt. :shock: The laptop is getting better, I will have a look inside just a pre-caution

Yup, thought so!

Catty

Not true, AMD is tends to produce too much heat, even AMD went fried up in last several years when compare to Intel, Athlon XP is more hotter than Pentium 4.

Now, Intel Core 2 Duo is faster and less heat than rest of AMD except for Opteron, Opteron is main battle with Xeon, Xeon blows Opteron away too.

If overheat for Intel, I bet you used had early codename of Pentium 4 or earlier with insufficient heatsink or cooling fan, Pentium 4 need midsize cooling fan/heatsink, not small or will overheat for sure, Core 2 Duo is MUCH less heat and don't need big heatsink.

Back