Mobo and cpu question

I disagreed. I own Intel LGA 775 E8400 Intel and it's faster than AMD.

I agree with you, I own Dell XPS with E8200, 45 nm, very faster and less heat.

I have AMD AM2 Dual Core 6000+. Haven't had any problems with this one. My computer hasn't overheated yet, cause it has two fans.

I have AMD AM2 Dual Core 6000+. Haven't had any problems with this one. My computer hasn't overheated yet, cause it has two fans.

You better keep CPU fins clean every 6 months AND also you might have to re-do thermal paste once in every while when CPU temp keep climbing up slowly regardless you cleaned the CPU fins ect. Paste dries up become hardened gunk and use Rubbing Alcohol to clean it off then put new thermal paste.

My AMD Althon processor had that heat issue. Even I had Heatpipe cooler like I have on pix of Foxconn mobo (the one with mobo and Heatpipe cooler next to it). It helped some. I use Antec Silver thermal paste which is the best quality. But 3 to 4 months after constant use. CPU temp kept climbing up. I had to re-do thermal paste. Brought temp down at least for a while. I used to have Palomino Althon Core processor which was 10c hotter than Throughbred Althon core. Average temp for Althon processor I had was between 58c to 65c. Run HOT!!! I had 2 case cooler, One blowing out on back, One blowing in (sucking cool air) on side directly to CPU. And 12 fin thin CPU fan spinning at 5,600rpm but still CPU runs HOT!! It wasn't me doing it wrong, It's the issue with Palomino core that lot of computer users complained. My friend's Throrougbred core ran cool averaging 40c to 45c. I didn't overclock the CPU at all. It was automatically set to it's core speed (mine was 1.66 Ghz).

MY AMD64 wasn't an issue cuz it kept at 28c for long long time with same Heatpipe cooler (I transferred it to AMD64 when I built the system).

Catty

The more fans you have, the faster it'll get dusty unless it has "in" and "out" with equal strength. Sadly - the tower I built does not have equal strength but I should try to make a hole on front. It's good idea to cover your vents in your PC with lady's stocking. It makes a nice dust filter :cool2:

The more fans you have, the faster it'll get dusty unless it has "in" and "out" with equal strength. Sadly - the tower I built does not have equal strength but I should try to make a hole on front. It's good idea to cover your vents in your PC with lady's stocking. It makes a nice dust filter :cool2:

Yes, CPU case sometime have poor quality cooling system. What I did on my Althon system is to cut a hole on side using Tin snip (metal cutting scissor) and drilled 4 holes exactly where Case fan screw holes are. Then screwed the fan in. Sometime some of us have to mod a CPU case to increase cooling.

Last of all, if all failed, get a Fishtank, CPU/Southbridge/GPU water cooler system. Then buy Piranha fishes along with Goldfishes (for it's dinner) for "Cooling tower" tank. :rofl: (my brother used to have 2 piranhas for a year and it fights each other every night till one is gone :eek2: )

The real problem using dust filters may be effective but remmy that there's a leak all around the case. You know CPU case have holes on each corners where sheet metal folds. And lot of holes on back.

It leaks like seive, letting dust to come in other way. Unless you use silicone sealant all around even between CDrom drive spaces ect.. Then have "vacuum tested" the CPU case just like "clean room" condition. If succeed then use Automotive air filter to keep dust out. (nah!! :giggle::giggle: J/K)

Catty

You better keep CPU fins clean every 6 months AND also you might have to re-do thermal paste once in every while when CPU temp keep climbing up slowly regardless you cleaned the CPU fins ect. Paste dries up become hardened gunk and use Rubbing Alcohol to clean it off then put new thermal paste.

My AMD Althon processor had that heat issue. Even I had Heatpipe cooler like I have on pix of Foxconn mobo (the one with mobo and Heatpipe cooler next to it). It helped some. I use Antec Silver thermal paste which is the best quality. But 3 to 4 months after constant use. CPU temp kept climbing up. I had to re-do thermal paste. Brought temp down at least for a while. I used to have Palomino Althon Core processor which was 10c hotter than Throughbred Althon core. Average temp for Althon processor I had was between 58c to 65c. Run HOT!!! I had 2 case cooler, One blowing out on back, One blowing in (sucking cool air) on side directly to CPU. And 12 fin thin CPU fan spinning at 5,600rpm but still CPU runs HOT!! It wasn't me doing it wrong, It's the issue with Palomino core that lot of computer users complained. My friend's Throrougbred core ran cool averaging 40c to 45c. I didn't overclock the CPU at all. It was automatically set to it's core speed (mine was 1.66 Ghz).

MY AMD64 wasn't an issue cuz it kept at 28c for long long time with same Heatpipe cooler (I transferred it to AMD64 when I built the system).

Catty

What? I had old HP PC that ran for 5 years before died, CPU is just work fine and faster when use clean install of XP, I never clean out the CPU, same goes my Dell XPS, it's fine and no difference from new one in last several month ago.

Clean out the CPU is unnecessary.

My laptop is feeling better now, thanks Purplecatty!

What? I had old HP PC that ran for 5 years before died, CPU is just work fine and faster when use clean install of XP, I never clean out the CPU, same goes my Dell XPS, it's fine and no difference from new one in last several month ago.

Clean out the CPU is unnecessary.

HP, Dell and other manufacter use "stick on" thermal sticker. It last long. They don't sell out in public. PC Builder would have to use thermal paste. It's the problem with particular processor like AMD Palomino Althon core. If your HP use Althon processor, more likely they're Throroughbred Althon core type which runs cooler. It have nothing to do with speed ect. It's just the heat issue.

My AMD64 runs very cool. It use Cool'n Quiet I set it "quiet" mode and it did bring temp down to 23c (wow that's very cool!!) and it lower it's speed to 1.8ghz . I could even take out Heat Pipe and let it run without it (I haven't tried that but theorical). It ran normally. I decide to switch to 'performance and clicked "ok" and I heard Heat pipe cooler fan goes "whooosshhhhhhhhhhhh" kicked on high speed and processor jumped from 1.8ghz to 2.2 ghz steady. Then I changed setting to "normal" and fan quieted down but it kicks high speed every now and then if I were playing heavy graphical game. Not bad at all.

Hey I forgot something for AMD64, I didn't bother with thermal paste that I put in nearly couple years ago!! It didn't need re-paste!!

Guess what,

I just brought home my friend's AMD64 Emachine system. It had not been cleaned for 2 years and I knew very well it's very dusty. Her system never crash or locks up except for power supply issue if more than 1 drive running..

I took the CPU case out in driveway and use my compressed air nozzle and open up the CPU case. Fwwoooossshhh! I ducked when I blew with nozzle and plenty of cat's hair, dust ect went flying to wind :eek2: it's plenty gunk of cat hairs!! :eek::ugh::dizzy:. That's really nasty!! Now her system is cleaned and then took it to basment and ran a XP restoration installation cuz her son's friend "owned up" her pc and made a administrator rights on that. That's bad! so Reformat and Restore XP then put Administrator Password to prevent him from messing with her PC and setup Limited User account. So I hoped it help prevent 7th grader computer whiz from owning it up.

Catty

I finally had a chance to test my AMD64 3500 (2.2 ghz) Processor. I borrowed my friend's AMD64 Emachine with AMD64 3200(2.0 ghz) and it use Foxconn board too!!! (Ohh GREAT!! :thumb:).. I simply swapped the processor and put heatsink in. It booted right up and ran nicely. Whew!!!!

So It was so much relief since two sticks of DDR400 and AMD64 processor works great and am feeling confident that once I get the replacement board from seller. I guarantee it'll boot right up.

I'm sure that seller is really pissed at his employees right now when he received nicked board that I mailed back. I bet he test board and made sure there's no nick ect and mail it himself so that he can have good mark on his Ebay name by me.

Catty

I finally got good used mobo, AMD64 Micro-Star mobo from Ebay for $5. It's a E-machine rebranded mobo when I booted up. I can always reflash it to Microstar's original Bios. I realized that mobo was a popular one used by Emachine, Gateway, Hewlett Packard, and Compaq. I can flash Bios from any one of them lol.

It is ms-7184 board with ATI southbridge chipset with ATi 200 graphic chipset onboard. It have one 16x PCI-Express slot ready for upgrade. Have 4 Sata Raid slots (if u google and u'll find same board with 2 Sata slots). 8 USB 2.0, 4gB max DDR400 slots, 1394 Firewire ready, Ethernet plug, 3 PCI slots, and onboard sound.

I installed AMD64 3500 2.2ghz processor and rest of its parts that I pulled from murdered Abit AV8 system. It boot up nicely with big 'e' flashscreen. Lol.

I test it with Ubuntu Hardy live Cd and it doesn't do well with ATi's graphic chipset so I installed Nvidia MX400 PCI card. Ubuntu boot right up to desktop and it was amazing fast on network!! Niiice welcome to have AMD64 system back!!

Right now, I am trying to install XP on 40gb hdd that I pulled from Gigabyte system. I am planning to see if it can do LiveBios flash update without resorting to floppy ( I do still have it and it's covered with dust) or using Dr. DOS cd.

Eventually, I would try fully install Ubuntu Hardy and install VMware for Linux. Then throw in XP inside Vmware to see if it can still play games ect. If not then I would have to flip it "inside out" which means Windoz on main and Ubuntu on Vmware.

I am going to get Nvidia PCI Express cards such as 6600GT or 7600GT whichever my budget would allows me. I rather have that card for Linux Compiz eyecandy.

I already have 1Gb DDR 400 (2x 512) installed as 'single channel'.

It would be my kid's system again but still I do use it for myself.

Another good news is that I contacted my friend if I could test run Althon processor from Gigabyte system to see if it works or not. He told me that I can have Althon system for free. He just built a new fast system for a guy and took his old Althon system from him. I knew it's AMD Althon 2500 2.2ghz. So it would be another system for my kids to use without fighting over one fast system. It seem like I got two similiar systems "back" after two former system went dead.

So now I have two fast system to use!!

That's the blessing!

Old 800mhz will end up in my garage for checking parts online and instant messaging and emailing. Plus games (800mhz system now have Ubuntu installed and all games thrown in.)

Catty

I have researched Emachine's ms-7184 mobo and it's a Gateway's Emachine T6524 system originally (I use Gigabyte's Hardware info software to hack into MSI's hidden info!! Cool!!). I decided to find out if I can update it's BIOS cuz I wanted to have more features from MSI Micro star manufacter instead of Emachine's limited BIOS (Emachine haven't updated it's bios since 2005). It turned out there is no "ms-7184" in there. BUT through Google searching, I found out that Emachine's ms-7184 is ACTUALLY Physically similiar to MSI Micro-Star ms-7093 board.

The ms-7093 mobo BIOS is more updated due to 4 SATA RAID ready which I have readily on the board which is currently disabled.

In my mind... Is ms-7093 BIOS similiar to ms-7184 BIOS???

Before I reflash the BIOS to m-7093 bios. I want to be sure that I'm not turning the board into paperweight. As I researched on BIOS compatibilty through google, using "Gateway T6524 BIOS update" and that lead me to specific site that guy who have ms-7184 mobo and reflashed it to ms-7093. It works like it supposed to. He said the SATA RAID finally enabled and he noticed the board is quicker and snappier. But the drawback he said that CPU fan jumped to high speed and stay there. There is no mentioned about Cool'n'Quiet mode. He said Emachine's BIOS, ms-7184 have 3 voltage settings for CPU fan (low, med, and high). He didn't bother to reflash it back to original BIOS anyway. He aslo said it finally enable it to reconize AMD64 FX-60 processor.

Ummph!! This give me a clue that I can reflash it without worrying about killing the board. In that way I can 'automatically' turn ms-7184 board into "newer" ms-7093 board without swapping it! I wish I can thank this guy for his daring experiment! (for he had ordered a ms-7184 BIOS chip in case if he killed it from reflashing to new BIOS. He can easily swap it back to original one, smart of him).

I noticed on manual on ms-7093 have such a nice features in BIOS. Good!! Muilti Display setup!!!! That struck me interesting what Board's BIOS can do.

here where I found it...

MSI MS-7184 End User's Upgrades

I'm going evil on it Hee Ha ha ha!!

Catty

I finally got another motherboard to replace Gigabyte 7VAX. Friend gave it to me free mobo along with old Althon Slot A 650mhz system (for my kids to take apart or put together, it works tho). It's an ASUS AK38N mobo and I use my old faithful AMD Althon XP 1900 1.6Ghz and it worked!! So now my kids can have two fast system to use. I have not assembled the mobo since it's been on bench testing with all noodle of wires all around :lol: So now I can move 800mhz system to garage for me to use.

So At least I now have two replacement system.

Catty

ASUS AK38N

Catty

OOps!! It's not ASUS.. It's a Shuttle. I goofed cuz I have another system that have ASUS board with Slot A Althon processor that my friend gave me along with Socket A mobo which is a Shuttle.

Sorry!!

Catty

MOBO with new name!

I have researched Emachine's ms-7184 mobo and it's a Gateway's Emachine T6524 system originally (I use Gigabyte's Hardware info software to hack into MSI's hidden info!! Cool!!). I decided to find out if I can update it's BIOS cuz I wanted to have more features from MSI Micro star manufacter instead of Emachine's limited BIOS (Emachine haven't updated it's bios since 2005). It turned out there is no "ms-7184" in there. BUT through Google searching, I found out that Emachine's ms-7184 is ACTUALLY Physically similiar to MSI Micro-Star ms-7093 board.

The ms-7093 mobo BIOS is more updated due to 4 SATA RAID ready which I have readily on the board which is currently disabled.

In my mind... Is ms-7093 BIOS similiar to ms-7184 BIOS???

Before I reflash the BIOS to m-7093 bios. I want to be sure that I'm not turning the board into paperweight. As I researched on BIOS compatibilty through google, using "Gateway T6524 BIOS update" and that lead me to specific site that guy who have ms-7184 mobo and reflashed it to ms-7093. It works like it supposed to. He said the SATA RAID finally enabled and he noticed the board is quicker and snappier. But the drawback he said that CPU fan jumped to high speed and stay there. There is no mentioned about Cool'n'Quiet mode. He said Emachine's BIOS, ms-7184 have 3 voltage settings for CPU fan (low, med, and high). He didn't bother to reflash it back to original BIOS anyway. He aslo said it finally enable it to reconize AMD64 FX-60 processor.

Ummph!! This give me a clue that I can reflash it without worrying about killing the board. In that way I can 'automatically' turn ms-7184 board into "newer" ms-7093 board without swapping it! I wish I can thank this guy for his daring experiment! (for he had ordered a ms-7184 BIOS chip in case if he killed it from reflashing to new BIOS. He can easily swap it back to original one, smart of him).

I noticed on manual on ms-7093 have such a nice features in BIOS. Good!! Muilti Display setup!!!! That struck me interesting what Board's BIOS can do.

here where I found it...

MSI MS-7184 End User's Upgrades

I'm going evil on it Hee Ha ha ha!!

Catty

Gotcha!! Now my mobo is no more Emachine, It's now MSI Extreme 7093 mobo. It got new name without SWAPPING board. I just simply swapped and HACKED the BIOS chipset.

How I did it?

HOT FLASHING! Swap and flash mobo while system is running!! RRRIIISSKY!! :naughty::eek::twisted::twisted:

Hee Hee Haaa Haa!!!

I pulled old ABIT AV8 BIOS chipset and used that to Emachine!!!

What I did was created bootable floppy disk (using Chaldera Dr DOS Flash boot) and copied new 7093 BIOS then rebooted the system to DOS.

While system is running on DOS, I pulled ORIGINAL BIOS chipset off the socket and swapped it with ABIT AV8 BIOS chipset. Then proceed typed "AWFL855A /F" ( /F command line means Forced Flash because ABIT AV8 BIOS binary was in there so I want to force flasher to re-write entire binary) and it ran AWARD flasher program. Then typed W7093AMS.390" then hit return. It asked me if I want to save old BIOS, I hit "N" for NO!!! Then It finally re-wrote new BIOS binary to ABIT BIOS chipset then I hit "F1" to reboot.

System rebooted and I saw new "MSI Extreme" flashscreen!! then hit "DEL" to enter BIOS and reconfigured it. I noticed I have much much MORE options in BIOS!!. Saved it then rebooted again to boot up to Windows. Win XP detected new drive controller, USB controller, souncard ect and installed drivers for it. After rebooting it. Back on Desktop. It seem faster and snappier than before!!

Now that I'm a happy guy with "Frankenstein" mobo:naughty::twisted::crazy:.

Catty:cool2:

I used on old Compaq computer for flash into bios for Y2K updates. Never had problem about risky flashes..

I used on old Compaq computer for flash into bios for Y2K updates. Never had problem about risky flashes..

That's not risky to me. Try Hot swapping BIOS chip from your current mobo by leaving system running and pop off BIOS chip from it's socket and swap with another BIOS chip with same chipset type (from different system). In that way you can try reflash BIOS to different BIOS to "rebrand" the mobo. My mobo is a MS-7184 (have 4 SATA slots which were disabled under Emachine rebranded mobo) and I google and found out it's actually a MS-7093 mobo. Both have similiarity and I swapped BIOS chip while machine is running and reflashed it to MSI BIOS instead of Emachine BIOS. That's called HOT Swapping and it's risky.

I flashed update many mobo and never had "dead" board. It's nothing to me.

But It's my first time Hot swap the BIOS chip while machine running which is not for faint of heart. I had no problem. No damage done!

Some MOBO have BIOS socket to allow you to remove BIOS chip and swap with another one. Mine does.

Did you know that you can Hot swap BIOS chip to repair bad flashed BIOS for another mobo that was dead. You'll got to learn the tricks!

Catty

I'm done reformatting and reinstalling XP on newly renamed AMD64 8Xtreme system. So far it ran really fast and snappy!! Like I said about "frankenstein system", I'm very happy with it. I have an urge of lust wanting to upgrade to AMD64 x2 processor and wanted to do it soon in the future. :lol:

I had a hard time figuring out what happened to my 2nd 40GB hdd from former ABIT AV8 system. I think it must have gone bad and threw it away (it was an original Digital Western 40gb Special Caviar 8mb 7200 hdd used to be in Gigabyte 7VAX Althon system before I transferred it to AMD64 ABIT AV8 and might have been very old)... I use 20GB on newly rebuilt Althon sytem while AMD64 have 40gb hdd. I didn't need big drive since I only averaging 15gb drivespace.

My sons are very happy to have two fast system up and running like it never did happen and able to play games ect. They enjoyed their new Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 Platuim game on Althon system and graphic was awsome!

That's the end of my "Mobo and cpu Question" blog!

Adios!
Catty

Back