Language differences....

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I did not said that not in those words, I said I wish my dad would continue with his signs

You have no extensive experience with sign language, Yet you had some nerve to tell me to admit that sign isn't everything? Sign is everything to me. You have no idea. I've learned spoken language and verbal communication language for my family and for the world. The reality of most hearing parents will not learn the intricacies of sign language for the deaf child, which I find that unfair. It goes both ways, not one way.

I am in the same shoes as you are regarding to my love for signing and regrets for not learning it growing up, Cheri.

Moreover, the re-visiting of content for which RR stepped in with a warning; now, I see that same content here again....this is so beyond belief.

All I see an explosion coming soon!!!! :giggle:

I didn't ingore the request, I entirely missed it. Where is it, please?
I thought everyone knows their own quotes, anyway?

Wow, I didn't know that it is so hard for you to scroll up and look for that post, is it?
I am sure you can find it on your own.

Wow, I didn't know that it is so hard for you to scroll up and look for that post, is it?
I am sure you can find it on your own.

If she finds it herself, she doesn't have anything to whine about and demand be doen for her.

SHEL:
I am in the same shoes as you are regarding to my love for signing and regrets for not learning it growing up, Cheri.

And I also regret not having an opportunity to learn SL while I was growing up. But that does not have naything to do with my parents love and support for me.
They were great parents, and have I been signing- them signing too would NOT make them any better. SL is just a way of communication, that's all.

Fuzzy

Originally Posted by Cheri
No, I did not said that not in those words, I said I wish my dad would continue with his signs

You have no extensive experience with sign language, Yet you had some nerve to tell me to admit that sign isn't everything? Sign is everything to me. You have no idea. I've learned spoken language and verbal communication language for my family and for the world. The reality of most hearing parents will not learn the intricacies of sign language for the deaf child, which I find that unfair. It goes both ways, not one way.

Yes I feel the same as you both as well. "Wish" is a natural feeling... It's normal for everyone have their own wishes.

SHEL:

And I also regret not having an opportunity to learn SL while I was growing up. But that does not have naything to do with my parents love and support for me.
They were great parents, and have I been signing- them signing too would NOT make them any better. SL is just a way of communication, that's all.

Fuzzy

But, look at your own manner behavior?

Well, some ADers' written English/or language aren't your clothes for you to wear, are they ? It is not the same as it applies like you think.

Some ADers' written English/or language are NAKED as it exposed to SHOW their geniune selves... their own personalities and characters to make themselves who they are. That's their identification as their own persons. It's not the same as you mentioned above about " clothin' " oh just because their written English/or language are your written English/or language to use as your identification. :roll: That's NOT the same, AudioFuzzy.

Yes, correct.. There're no comparison between clothes and written English/language.

I don't know what you mean, I think I do but I better check with you first.
I got this idea for an example, meanwhile.

Suppose I have very obese friend, and I am size 4. She is oblivious to the fact HOW obese she is.
I like her very much, she is great person and all but I am not going to let her borrow my clothes for she'll ruin them. And yet she asks me constantly to borrow this or that. Finally she asked me why not? does she stinks? do I think I am better than her? I replied no but look you are much bigger than me you will rip my clothes off.
She accused me of critizing her weight, and got mad at me.
Was indeed I criticizing her weight???, or I simply was forced to point out the root of the problem?

I agree it sure wasn't pleasant for her to hear she's fat. But the truth is- she was, and that was then only reason I couldn't let her wear my clothes.

Fuzzy

Sorry, your post make no sense to me...

Do you think obese person is stupid to ask you for lend her your clothes when she know your size is smaller than her? Many obese people know it and pick big size.

What you replied but look you are much bigger than me you will rip my clothes off. to obese person's question is an offensive. Of course she will feel being critizing by you over her weight. I would not do that...

Obese person deserve my honest answer only if they ask me for my opinion over their weight and ask me for advice....

I have to play HYPOTHETICAL game with you over obese person and clothes. (I know it never does because an obese people know themselves that they do not need to ask slim or skinner person for lend clothes).

If an obese person ask me for lend her my clothes. I would say: I would like to know what's your size because I have different clothes sizes. She would be glad to tell me her size then I will tell her that I don't have any size what she want.

I'd love to do that too... :lol:

Oh well...(it's all good, nuthin' that can't be handled-- ;) )

Okkk...

Mod Note:

Apparently...some things just don't seem to end or cease, more like back in the old days, when a scratchy or marred album (played on record players), it would get 'stuck' and continously play the same note(s), word(s) over and over until either the needle of the record-player was moved or stopped--hence, same idea is happening in this thread (as well as to other threads that gotten locked up)...'stuck' on a certain kind of issue or issues with disrespect...sure, action may be implemented if it doesn't cease real quick and simply...move on!

The bottom line is simply the fact that the sense or feeling among members posting in this thread is one of 'tiresome, cumbersome...etc.,...' I will not 'name' the member associated with this on-going problem publicly, but surely, it may be obvious...therefore, do what 'you' must..however, with civility, respect and without insulting the integrity of others here in AD, otherwise, I'll be force to do what may be neccessary. :cool:

~RR

Audiofuzzy said:
FYI, it's not a different syntax or grammar or whatever that bothers me and make discussions difficult - because I DO understand what is being said with no difficulty- it's the other way around!
What bothers me - it's blind stubbornness of an individual who is being told hundred times over and over "this is not what I mean" and yet ignores that completely.

It doesn't matter HOW you write - it matters if you LISTEN. For me, you can write right to left, bottom to top - I will manage, and if not I will ask you - but for god's sake when I am telling you you didn't get my point- believe me.

Fuzzy

Who is the blind stubbornness individual that is being told hundred of times over and over?...

Who is the blind stubbornness individual that is being told hundred of times over and over?...

Come on, like you don't know :ugh3:

Fuzzy

You honestly don't remember how even you and I have had many misunderstandings? strange.
oh well.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy *sigh*

Have you read this postive post?

Originally Posted by Interpretrator
Are you kidding? I have degrees in sign language interpreting and in teaching English to speakers of other languages. One of the most important things in my life has always been about finding ways to communicate with people from other cultures and with different language skills without giving them crap about it.

Meanwhile, you're missing the point entirely. This is a FORUM. No one CARES about learning better English here. (Meaning, this is not the place to learn better English, not that people here don't care about learning!). I am an English teacher for deaf students and do you think I pay any attention to communication errors around here? Of course not!

You remind me of the hearing ASL 1 students I used to see at Deaf events who would show up and expect the d/Deaf people there to be able to read lips. What part of "linguistically diverse community" are you not understanding, and why are you so determined to offend and insult people on this forum?

I suggest if you're having so much trouble communicating, then you need to open your mind and be more creative in your communication style to get your points across. In the however long amount of time I've been here I have never found it prohibitively difficult to communicate with anyone around here for linguistic reasons. (Personal reasons are another story!) And most people here seem to be getting along okay. The problem is with you.

You honestly don't remember how even you and I have had many misunderstandings? strange.
oh well.

Fuzzy

Oh, so I'm inculding in this too as being a blind stubbornness individual?...Boy, I was hoping that you would apologize and let this go, but sadly I don’t see that happening any time soon..:(

Look Angel - maybe it would be nice if for a change, some others and you, too, took some responsibility for what's happening here as well?...
take note I've started this thread in a nice, polite way, very neutral,
and some people happened to be having normal discussion with me -SOME EVEN AGREED WITH ME!- until somebody came and claimed "oh, this post is about me" (which wasn't true in the least) and spoiled it for me.
and imediately all the usuall followed - the accusations, the derailings, the rudeness, finger poiting, etc., in all this some people as always missed my point.

Tousi said it best - hit a nail on the head:

Basically, Fuzzy, the truth of the matter here is an attitudinal one; you burned your bridges here past the point where some people do not want to focus on anything (bingo bingo bingo) you say/ask anymore. That's how I see it, given what has happened in the last couple of weeks.

THAT is exactly what is happening for the last few weeks- it's the attitude-no matter if I am truly right or wrong- people DOESN'T give rats about what I am saying -they are only interested in crucifying me! :) QFT!
(btw how nice of you Tousi to be aware of that and yet not saying anything. that certainly is helpful to all)

the way some of you treat me is also no way to treat somebody,
because even if you personally feel that someone is being disrespectful or flat out dislike this person - even so, you still NEED to be FAIR, and pay attention to WHAT is being said, NOT ONLY how it's said- MOST and FOREMOST you have responsibility to LISTEN, you know?

so don't expect me to remain all smiles and roses after three pages of continual bashings, Okay? I believe I am doing very well as is anwyay, considering.

perhaps if I was given more due respect, then perhaps I would be nicer, too.

Liebl.: Have you read this postive post?
YES I DID. and you this:

Quote:
I:One of the most important things in my life has always been about finding ways to communicate with people from other cultures and with different language skills without giving them crap about it.
F:Oh I see. so, when I am not as skillful at languages as you, and and try hard to alert people they didn't get my meaning, but the don't give damn and keep pushing their agenda on me - I am giving them crap... Okay...
Quote:I:No one CARES about learning better English here.
F:I am sorry... - I am confused here- did I wanted anyone to improve or learn English better, or I simply wanted to LISTEN to me? what is that I wanted? it seems like everyone knows better than me what I want or wanted.
Quote:I:(Personal reasons are another story!)
F:I can see your attitude, too. Did you actually pay any attention to what I wrote so far in other posts, weren't you already biased when you replied to me? because it certainly looks like you are attacking me for things I didn't do.

And NO this is not QUITE "positive" post - Interpretator is actually being slightly aggressive towards me.

Fuzzy

Look Angel - maybe it would be nice if for a change, some others and you, too, took some responsibility for what's happening here as well?.

The only person who is responsible is yourself, Fuzzy. If some members having some difficulties of getting the understanding of your point of view, maybe you should have done another way of explanation, instead of that, You lie the blame on some of us, expected us to take the responsibilities.

Audiofuzzy said:
take note I've started this thread in a nice, polite way, very neutral,
and some people happened to be having normal discussion with me -SOME EVEN AGREED WITH ME!-

They thought u were spoked about people in general, but it wasn't about people in general so the truth needed to be addressed. ;)

AudioFuzzy said:
until somebody came and claimed "oh, this post is about me" (which wasn't true in the least) and spoiled it for me.

I was in mind when you created this thread so?, Some wasn't aware you were speaking about some members on this forum, they thought you were talking about the outside life.

Audiofuzzy said:
nd imediately all the usuall followed - the accusations, the derailings, the rudeness, finger poiting, etc., in all this some people as always missed my point.

The only person who's missing the whole point is yourself Hun, that's what most of us are trying to tell you from the get and go.

perhaps if I was given more due respect, then perhaps I would be nicer, too.

Respect comes two ways doesn't it?

Interpretator is actually being slightly aggressive towards me.

I don't see that she was, all she did was shared her wisdom with you -- if you haven't asked for it. I think for the starter would be if you would take up her advice can be a good thing, and take responsible for what's was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back