Language differences....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You never understand what posters are tryin' to tell you just like you never understood what Tousi was sayin'

now that's a good one!:giggle:
sure Maria ...
sure.

Fuzzy

So do you, and everybody else.

how's that polish saying going I forgot - "you see a straw in my eye but can't see bale in your own...."

Fuzzy

I long ago dismissed it from my mind (and I am not so sure I threw bad stuff your way) but you keep bring us all back to the same old stuff.

Begin anew! Begin anew!

Fuzzy.... cannot you get a picture???? I agree with Tousi and Maria...

DreamDeaf
how well we understand English, grammar and syntaxes.

jillio
And I might add that misuderstandings and disagreements not only happen here, but are a part of life.

This is exactly what Adiofuzzy has been saying.

We know that loml...this is what the entire thread is about unless I'm missing something else that you are trying to point out here?...

Actually NO IT IS NOT directed at you Cheri, and I think you are rather too full of it if you think I would start a special thread because of you, for God sake.

yes I do had you in mind, AND also a number of OTHER people I had major problems communicating with - your sister, Liebling, Maria, PuyoPiyo to name just a few.
And once again, I have started this thread because I am CONCERNED about those misunderstadings and would like to find a way to fix it OK? It would be nice if instead of ASSUMING what this thread is about you actually put some effort toward resolve as well.

As since you tell my name here so I guess I have to be lumped into this thread

Nobody likes it, and it's understandable, and of course there is NO ENGLISH WRITTING COMPETITION but THERE IS A PROBLEM - A COMMUNICATION PROBLEM i'd like to address.

What's the difference between communication through the paper and pen or the communication?

I am sorry - I am speechless - are you really expecting me to swallow this?
so, if you actually understood what I was about - are you expecting me after what you and some of you put me thru to chalk it up to just "oh, I just read it fast"??? EXCUSE ME????
but no I don't think you and other ever got my point, that was going on for too long to be a case of "fast reading". but I do know what you mean.

Well chill out. Nobody can expect other members to read so perfectly here, no one is perfect.

[/QUOTE]You have to realise the only communicative problems I have are with you and those I named. And I am NOT putting you down by pointing this out - but because this is reality which should be dealt with, and I for one am ready to DEAL WITH IT. I WANT TO deal with it. Do YOU?

Fuzzy[/QUOTE]

Deal with it with whole of your heart, but you can't expect our hearts to be the same as yours.

Nods. I learned to write simply so others can understand me. This goes for both hearing and deaf. I rarely get misunderstood. I usually am not sarcastic but if poster is being annoying, I'll become sarcastic. Most posters here are polite so I'm rarely sarcastic.

NOTE: this is for audiofuzzy

Also, it's best not to criticize other people's English because many of the deaf here have struggled with their English and it has been frustrating to them because of language delays or other stuff. Most come here to relax - not to attend English class.

I remember that my English teacher at MSSD used to say you should write for your audience. Consider that this audience has varying levels of English skills and you should write simply so most can understand you.

I love this post here, and for some reason I intend to keep reading this one over and over....:giggle:...

I wish there were more people like Deafskeptic because he understands exactly how we feel...:)

DreamDeaf

jillio

This is exactly what Adiofuzzy has been saying.

And if you had continued with my post, it also said that if you cannot deal with them well in a forum such as AD, then chances are the problems you have in relating to people in other situations is even greater. If you have a problem with being misunderstood by many people, as is evidenced by her complaints regarding the fact theat "everyone" misunderstands her, then the problem is withthe individual, not with the group. The group doesn't need to be addressed. Fuzzy needs to address her own difficulties with her communication difficulties, and stop attempting to find the cause in the fact that this poster doesn't know proper grammar, ot that poster is ASL based, or another poster uses words that are too big, and on and on and on. But rather than changing or rephrasing a psot, she continues to say the same thing in the same way that she claims caused the misunderstanding in the first place. How long is to going to take for her to grasp the fact that what she is doing and the way she is doing it isn't working. Try something else, for God's sake!

And if you had continued with my post, it also said that if you cannot deal with them well in a forum such as AD, then chances are the problems you have in relating to people in other situations is even greater. If you have a problem with being misunderstood by many people, as is evidenced by her complaints regarding the fact theat "everyone" misunderstands her, then the problem is withthe individual, not with the group. The group doesn't need to be addressed. Fuzzy needs to address her own difficulties with her communication difficulties, and stop attempting to find the cause in the fact that this poster doesn't know proper grammar, ot that poster is ASL based, or another poster uses words that are too big, and on and on and on. But rather than changing or rephrasing a psot, she continues to say the same thing in the same way that she claims caused the misunderstanding in the first place. How long is to going to take for her to grasp the fact that what she is doing and the way she is doing it isn't working. Try something else, for God's sake!

For God's sake ? lol I think God is dandy fine as Gem. :D

I don't think Fuzzy will ever understand. She will keep goin' at it no matter how hard she tries. It just keeps goin' in circle over and over. I don't think if, Fuzzy can see that.

Oh, I got a new nickname for her. its FuzzyTwister. there's no point in this. None. zilch. zippo. why go on? Its never gonna get to the point. She's gonna have it her way.. regardless what we say to her. It won't matter what we say. Seriously, what is SHE doing here? Oh.. I forgot.. The Twister is just twisting everything around to f*ck around our minds. Its not going to work that way. We ain't that dumb! Nice Try, Fuzzy.

Fuzzy...I understand that many of us have different levels of English and that yes, misunderstandings will happen and all we can do is to keep trying our best to make ourselves understood by the audience, as Deafskeptic stated. Your thread started out with the fingerpointing at Deaf people who use ASL as the culprit and that is already offensive. Being deaf has nothing to do with it....everyone has different ways of interpreting each other's writing.

As a teacher, I teach a lesson one particular way...maybe 2 of my students will understand how I presented the context but the others wont so I have to change how I teach it to get the others to understand. That goes with the theories of Multiple Intelligences http://www.thomasarmstrong.com/multiple_intelligences.htm....children comprehend information in different styles and it is my responsibility that each student understand the lesson even it takes using different approaches at once.

That goes for each of us here on AD..it is our responsibility to make ourselves understood to a diverse audience rather than placing the blame on the audience. All I am seeing here is you venting that nobody understands you and you pointing out to ASL or Deafness as the culprit.

Oh, I got a new nickname for her. its FuzzyTwister. there's no point in this. None. zilch. zippo. why go on? Its never gonna get to the point. She's gonna have it her way.. regardless what we say to her. It won't matter what we say. Seriously, what is SHE doing here? Oh.. I forgot.. The Twister is just twisting everything around to f*ck around our minds. Its not going to work that way. We ain't that dumb! Nice Try, Fuzzy.

LOL. I'd just call her the ol' battleaxe.

And if you had continued with my post, it also said that if you cannot deal with them well in a forum such as AD, then chances are the problems you have in relating to people in other situations is even greater

And none of you were able to acknowledge from the onset, that what she was stating was true, instead choosing to attack her in a manner better suited for the sandbox. *sheesh*

And none of you were able to acknowledge from the onset, that what she was stating was true, instead choosing to attack her in a manner better suited for the sandbox. *sheesh*

OMG! I think it must be an epidemic!

There are several factors in the high illiteracy rate among the deaf/hard of hearing population. However, I cannot say that ASL is a factor because it is a complete language.

It doesn't make any sense to blame a language for the high illiteracy rate in another language. The real cause of illiteracy is due to the lack of proper education. In many schools for the deaf and mainstreamed programs in public schools, education is neglected because everybody has different ideas of how to educate the deaf and hard of hearing. That's why there's so much confusion among us. Many of us are unable to agree on an educational system for the deaf and hard of hearing.

The first five years of a child's life is the most crucial for language development. That's where you start. In other parts of the world, many children are bilingual. I'm fluent in both English and ASL. I know some people who are fluent in several languages; which is why I doubt ASL is a factor. It's the lack of the proper education. Children need to be exposed to English and ASL within the first five years of their lives. If they aren't, they are likely to face a lot of barriers in the future.

It's all about receiving the proper education. Not many deaf children are getting it. Instead, the government and board of education don't see them as a high priority. That's the sad truth.

Audiofuzzy, what you are lacking is the skill to be a good communicator. As a substitution to make up for your weakness, you are attacking the people here due to the miscommunication issues. When you're in a situation where a communication issue is present, you are a part of the problem, not just the other side. Both sides are at fault for not being able to communicate. At least that's the case most of the times.

Some people here are being unfair, but you need to realize that you aren't being fair either. There's no sense in making attempts to provoke each other whenever possible.

If you want to ask questions, at least listen to our answers. Don't treat us like second citizens and we won't treat you like one.

Fuzzy...I understand that many of us have different levels of English and that yes, misunderstandings will happen and all we can do is to keep trying our best to make ourselves understood by the audience, as Deafskeptic stated.

Shel. Please understand it's the other way around - I am not understood.
I am not understood, and I can see it from the responses I get.
The reason I am not understood is precisely because of everybody's different English level. Most of you speak and write in similar way, I don't.
I understand ya'll just fine. If I have a problem with something - I ask. It's the other way around.

Your thread started out with the fingerpointing at Deaf people who use ASL as the culprit and that is already offensive.
Look, being ASL and having your standard English affected by it is nothing to be ashamed of, or bad, or anything.
so there is no reason nor need for the stated fact being labeled "offensive".
Is sayinfg: "we are deaf, and not being able to hear" offensive? no. it is simply stating a fact - people ARE deaf. People have different level of English and written English comprehension. A fresh immigrant may have limited English comprehension. A born ASL deaf may have trouble understanding written standard English. it's just stating a fact.
I wasn't "fingerpointing" PEOPLE - I was pointing out to the SOURCE of the PROBLEMS - a diffrence in language understanding.

Being deaf has nothing to do with it....everyone has different ways of interpreting each other's writing.

it does in a way that it affects how you use your language, syntax mostly.
I am Polish, I have polish "accent" in my English. It's natural, as it is yours for you.
Multiple intelligence can be additional factor, yes I agree but here mainly is ASL "accent".

Dreamdeaf: We will not always see it from your point of view, even when you explain it clearly - there will always be misunderstandings, arguments and even a long-winded debate on this or that.

Thank you Dreamdeaf,
and I do not expect anybody to agree with me or share my point of view nor I consider anybody "low functioning" I would never.
I KNOW why people write way they write. That is not the problem, the problem is how it may create misunderstandings, and because of that it is important to remember IT. so when I say "this is not what I mean" - please believe me!
I just want to be UNDERSTOOD. and I will be only when people start remembering exactly that:
we all have different points of views and how well we understand English, grammar and syntaxes.

-that's another nail hit on the head!

This one Needed to be LOCKED
Sexyporkie, I am sorry if you are upset but this thread is important to me.
If you don't like it here, why don't you just stop coming here. I certainly don't expect you to be here against your will.

I never said your POV was dismissed;
that's exactly what you said in your first reply-
people do not want to focus on anything you say/ask anymore.
that includes POV.

and I am not so sure I threw bad stuff your way
Oh but I am.

Puyopiyo;What's the difference between communication through the paper and pen or the communication?

If you sign, you often use different syntax and grammar when you write.

Loml: And none of you were able to acknowledge from the onset, that what she was stating was true, instead choosing to attack her in a manner better suited for the sandbox. *sheesh*

Thank you, Loml :)

OMG! I think it must be an epidemic!

me, Loml, and .... ummm... oh and.... and... oh, yeah and... :ugh3:
yeah, quite an epidemic!
(care to count how many opposite opinions?)

Fuzzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back