It must get tiring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use 4 forms of communication and will add more if I find them. Some ASL, speaking, writing, fingerspelling...I was getting pretty good at asl but lost most of it when my brain injury occured and wiped out most of the last 18 months. I have a problem with retention now so i am regaining my asl slowly.
My point being you are deaf and I am deaf, we make the best choises for ourselves. Communication should be our goal. I will use as many forms of communication as I can find and learn to communicate with, as many people as I can. to say that because I do not use ASL as my primary for communication, coming from you a deaf to another deaf is predjudicial. shame on you. If you honestly believe every deaf person in the world uses the same form of communication, you are wrong, and too ridicule someone by saying they are not giving ASL the VALUE it deserves is just nuts. You can find different types of ASL in every community. The value should be givin to the person who learns to communicate effectively with others and is comfortable with who they are as someone who is deaf. This is pretty bad when a deaf is predjudice against another deaf because of the choises they make to feel good about themselves and move forward in this world. I have
little respect for those who are prejudicial againt me for any reason. I am doing the very best I can for me, not you. I am very proud of who I am, a deaf woman who explores all the possibilities and chooses to learn as many as she can to communicate in a world that already tells me I am not as good as they are. laughing. shame on you....Midnight..I forgive you..Peace to you

Every deaf person doesn't. Every Deaf person does.

Thank you...Midnight.. Peace to you...smile

Midnight..I forgive you..Peace to you

I'm wearing my old Spock costume just for you. Live Long and Prosper.

spock.jpg

The last few posts just make me :D. We can all banter back and forth with so much fun most of the time. It truly is a shame that the few can't see what the common denominator is in all the arguments.

I've met some blunt and outspoken hearing people (and i don't have jillio in mind either) but as a rule, hearing are much less blunt or outspoken than deaf. I'm not as blunt as some deaf but that makes me an expectation - not the rule.

It's the same for those blunt and outspoken hearing people.

I would agree with this. I'm hearing and very blunt and outspoken, but there are times when I also AM NOT this way. So, for ME, it depends on the situation. I know that when I'm angry or highly emotional, the LAST THING I need to be doing is letting my fingers fly or opening my Grand Canyon (aka, my mouth!).

I would agree with this. I'm hearing and very blunt and outspoken, but there are times when I also AM NOT this way. So, for ME, it depends on the situation. I know that when I'm angry or highly emotional, the LAST THING I need to be doing is letting my fingers fly or opening my Grand Canyon (aka, my mouth!).

Same here.

Wow

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Not the deaf community's responsibility to accomodate to the late deafened.

Your communications choices are great for a late deafened person trying to remain in the hearing world.

By the way, I loved Jiro's owl sock banter.

I must say Botts I am surprised by your comments. I have NEVER asked the deaf community to accomidate me. The reason is the deaf community itself is so splintered I was told I was not truly a deaf person because I lost my hearing 8 yrs ago, by a deaf person, who was using a HA. So technically since I am profoundly deaf and can not use a HA or CI. (which I would not choose for me anyway) I was infact more deaf then they were.. My communication choices are not because I am trying to remain in the hearing world, but rather because after I had began making progress with asl classes and a private tutor, my brain injury wiped it all out along with my ability to retain information. so I am rejected by the hearing and the deaf. When I do learn asl again , if I can I will be able to communicate with deaf, partial deaf, non english speaking deaf and several other catagories. I really find it distasteful to critisize any one trying to do the dest they can. Your quote was very revealing..."do as the romans do", else be thrown to the lions. The problem is for people like myself, I follow no ones "commands" I travel my own path. Yet It has been my experience that the deaf are the ones who insist I do as they do, else be thrown to the lions. I Fear Not, I know my Path
it us HE who guides me no mortal.....Peace to all..Midnight..♥♥♥
BTW..You may love, Jiro's owl sock "banter", I find he can be quite
offensive under the guise of his "meaning no harm."

More claims that you refuse to support? :laugh2:

Are you suggesting that the Deaf here are deficient because ASL is not intended to be processed in a linear way as is English? Are you insinuating the the Deaf are not rational?

Good intentions do not always get good results. In fact, when intentions are coming from a self serving position and are ethnocentric, they rarely get good results.

If you don't like what you find, then you look somewhere else. You don't attempt to change a forum just because you don't like what you find here. Everyone is not obligated to tend to your needs.

"Good intentions do not always get good results. In fact, when intentions are coming from a self serving position and are ethnocentric, they rarely get good results." AMEN to this!! I when through with my family and a friend when I had to put Finlay to sleep. Everyone had "Good intentions" but it back fired in a bad way.

I don't see how any productive discussion can happen when tempers run high; especially if we're talking more than one person who's upset. That's my point. If you're upset to the point that you feel like you want rip out someone's eyes, it's time to bounce! No need join in on the melee. No need to start the melee to begin with. Just simply bounce from a thread.

If you're giving information and someone doesn't get it, or, the person has a differing point of view, you tried. That's all you can do. You've said what you needed to. There's only so many ways you can say the same thing, anyway. And, if you KNOW someone doesn't agree with your philosophy, then don't even bother. It's NOT worth it.

Sometimes, it takes the bigger person to walk away. We're not saviors here, people. We can only give our OPINIONS on a situation. Some people will get it. Others, won't.

That what is I tried to if after saying how I feel on a thread I posted and I find other disagree with me, I move on to another thread. There is no sense in ' beating a dead horse'. We're all entitle to have our opinions. I think we sometime misunderstand some one as they are not clear in what they're trying say. And this can lead to argument. I know I have a hard time being clear with poor grammar.

Geez Take a break

It is possibile to say you do. But when your actions demonstrate exactly the opposite, and you continually refuse to answer questions reagarding your choices, it is natural that everyone doubts the sincerety and honesty of what you say.

This is not an inquisition of Csign and her decision, on how to do the best for her child. She owes you no explanation of her choices. Maybe you doubt her honesty and sincerety, but dont speak for me, and i'm sure others. Her actions demonstrate WHAT? she's made a different choice for her son then you have for yours? She may change that opinion later in life if she feels that it's appropriate or she may not. Still her son, her choice. Careful Csign some here will be asking you to stand up against a pole, in a pile of kindling, lol while they throw matches, til you say what they want. I think some of the ppl here today need to back off the coffee a bit ..but that's just me. lol
........Midnight...Peace to you all and the burdens you carry each day..♥♥♥

I must say Botts I am surprised by your comments. I have NEVER asked the deaf community to accomidate me. The reason is the deaf community itself is so splintered I was told I was truly a deaf person because I lost my hearing 8 yrs ago, by a deaf person, who was using a HA. So technically since I am profoundly deaf and can not use a HA or CI. (which I would not choose for me anyway) I was infact more deaf then they were.. My communication choices are not because I am trying to remain in the hearing world, but rather because after I had began making progress with asl classes and a private tutor, my brain injury wiped it all out along with my ability to retain information. so I am rejected by the hearing and the deaf. When I do learn asl again , if I can I will be able to communicate with deaf, partial deaf, non english speaking deaf and several other catagories. I really find it distasteful to critisize any one trying to do the dest they can. Your quote was very revealing..."do as the romans do", else be thrown to the lions. The problem is for people like myself, I follow no ones "commands" I travel my own path. Yet It has been my experience that the deaf are the ones who insist I do as they do, else be thrown to the lions. I Fear Not, I know my Path
it us HE who guides me no mortal.....Peace to all..Midnight..♥♥♥
BTW..You may love, Jiro's owl sock "banter", I find he can be quite
offensive under the guise of his "meaning no harm."

You are again referring to "deafness" and not "Deafness". Trying to make the two terms interchangable is exactly what causes the misunderstandings. They are not interchangable. If they meant the same thing, we would not need to designate between the two. And, even though you fail to realize it, you are asking the Deaf community to accommodate you in everything you have posted in this thread.

This is not an inquisition of Csign and her decision, on how to do the best for her child. She owes you no explanation of her choices. Maybe you doubt her honesty and sincerety, but dont speak for me, and i'm sure others. Her actions demonstrate WHAT? she's made a different choice for her son then you have for yours? She may change that opinion later in life if she feels that it's appropriate or she may not. Still her son, her choice. Careful Csign some here will be asking you to stand up against a pole, in a pile of kindling, lol while they throw matches, til you say what they want. I think some of the ppl here today need to back off the coffee a bit ..but that's just me. lol
........Midnight...Peace to you all and the burdens you carry each day..♥♥♥

I disagree. When she comes in here and attempts to present herself as something she isn't, and her choices are a part of that, she indeed does need to explain her consistent hypocrisy as it relates to the Deaf community. And CSign herself has provided the information that indicates her inability to find congruence without a request for such from anyone here.

It would appear that you, as well, are woefully insensitive to the reactions of the Deaf to the things they are experiencing at the hands of CSign. Perhaps that is because you, too, fail to see the difference between deaf and Deaf.

I disagree. When she comes in here and attempts to present herself as something she isn't, and her choices are a part of that, she indeed does need to explain her consistent hypocrisy as it relates to the Deaf community. And CSign herself has provided the information that indicates her inability to find congruence without a request for such from anyone here.

It would appear that you, as well, are woefully insensitive to the reactions of the Deaf to the things they are experiencing at the hands of CSign. Perhaps that is because you, too, fail to see the difference between deaf and Deaf.

I've not once tried to present myself as something I'm not. I've always been true to myself and my beliefs, and I haven't bent to meet the desires of a relatively small group of people. That sure bothers the you know what out of them.

I've always been honest, never pushing my personal beliefs re SEE unless it
was relevant to the topic at hand.

You can and will say what you want. I know the truth, and there are many others who see right through this charade.

I like the "no point in beating a dead horse" phrase mentioned above. To constantly chastise (sp?) someone about their supposed behavior in a thread really doesn't get anyone anywhere -- it just throws a thread off track. We can disagree on POV's and yes, fights/arguments (and subsequent derailment) do break out when posters are passionate about their POV's, especially when others disagree. I'm far guilty of that myself. But to derail by constantly chastising just doesn't serve any purpose. That's when I have stepped in and said "Hey, knock it off. You want to disagree or chastise? Please disagree or chastise about the topic AT HAND." I'm no saint, but I try to abide by this.

Same here...being civilized doesnt get you anywhere. Gotta be very very VOCIAL!

That's why leaders like MLK had haters but they did change a lot, didn't they?

I have tried being civilized when I got ripped off by a car dealer and got no where. When I threatened to call BBB on them or drive my car through their window , I got my check . I was not going to really do drive through their window, but they did not know that.

I've not once tried to present myself as something I'm not. I've always been true to myself and my beliefs, and I haven't bent to meet the desires of a relatively small group of people. That sure bothers the you know what out of them.

I've always been honest, never pushing my personal beliefs re SEE unless it
was relevant to the topic at hand.

You can and will say what you want. I know the truth, and there are many others who see right through this charade.

Obviously, you don't see it. The vast majority of AD members do. That is generally the way with hypocrisy. The one being hypocritical is the last to see it. That is generally because they are unable to see anything past their own nose.

Again, it brings to mind what I mentioned in another thread:

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" or as far as some things of AD go, "You can instruct and inform, but you can't make them learn and accept."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back