It must get tiring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm sorry if that's hard for some to follow. It is possible to value English and ASL equally.

no not really. What you did is English and SEE. Don't be confused - just because you're moving your hands to communicate with your son does not mean it's just like ASL.

If you're going to say "... value English and ASL equally"... then you should be signing with your son in ASL, not SEE. Apparently, you value English the most... which is why you chose SEE over ASL.

Just saying what your stance is saying to us.

no not really. What you did is English and SEE. Don't be confused - just because you're moving your hands to communicate with your son does not mean it's just like ASL.

If you're going to say "... value English and ASL equally"... then you should be signing with your son in ASL, not SEE. Apparently, you value English the most... which is why you chose SEE over ASL.

This thread isn't about why, or why not I use ASL. However I'd like to clear up the bolded statement above.

I never said SEE was "just like ASL". I'm clear on the fact that ASL and English are two distinct languages.

I also would like to be clear that I do hold ASL in high esteem, and have always been clear about that.

If anyone doesn't believe me, so be it. I know what I believe, and I know what I've written.

This thread isn't about why, or why not I use ASL. However I'd like to clear up the bolded statement above.

I never said SEE was "just like ASL". I'm clear on the fact that ASL and English are two distinct languages.

I also would like to be clear that I do hold ASL in high esteem, and have always been clear about that.

If anyone doesn't believe me, so be it. I know what I believe, and I know what I've written.

no no don't make me take out my owl sock and go hoo hoo again.

Just shows you're a hypocrite.

Hypocrite? No.

I had to provide my son with complete access to language from day one. I had no experience with ASL, as a result I would have been a poor language model.

That's what it really boils down to. Providing access to a complete language and we were successful in that venture. SEE absolutely served it's purpose. ASL will serve it's purpose too.

Hmmmmm

There you go! I suggested you start a thread that could be all about you so you could stop derailing the information threads. Here it is!:thumb:

No insult intended, just an observation. Are your credentials up to date and
is intervention your chosen field? I ask only because your response seems
pointed and a bit self serving ( "I suggested you start a thread that could be all about you"). You yourself have "derailed" as you put it a few threads in here. Seeming to only want to bring the subject back around to what you want to say. If I offended you please forgive me. I simply wonder why someone so intelligent would say something so, "I told ya so". again just an observation. Peace to you..Midnight..♥♥♥

Do me a favor

no no don't make me take out my owl sock and go hoo hoo again.

Could you kindly open that big mouth of yours wide, and stick that sock your always talking about in it??? would ya please? I know you won't, you like to play your part so well, but sometimes you really wear things out..the sock for instance. Thank you...Midnight.. Peace to you...smile

lol midnight, you are the true vindicator, indeed. Thanks for the read. :P

ummm..

That's why culturally Deaf people are blunt. That's the cultural difference between Deaf and hearing people.

It is related to how we grew up percieving our world...through sight.

I know people that are very blunt and they're not deaf of hoh. I know I would had been just a blunt if I was not hoh. I learned it from my dad

Wrong

I use 4 forms of communication and will add more if I find them. Some ASL, speaking, writing, fingerspelling...I was getting pretty good at asl but lost most of it when my brain injury occured and wiped out most of the last 18 months. I have a problem with retention now so i am regaining my asl slowly.
My point being you are deaf and I am deaf, we make the best choises for ourselves. Communication should be our goal. I will use as many forms of communication as I can find and learn to communicate with, as many people as I can. to say that because I do not use ASL as my primary for communication, coming from you a deaf to another deaf is predjudicial. shame on you. If you honestly believe every deaf person in the world uses the same form of communication, you are wrong, and too ridicule someone by saying they are not giving ASL the VALUE it deserves is just nuts. You can find different types of ASL in every community. The value should be givin to the person who learns to communicate effectively with others and is comfortable with who they are as someone who is deaf. This is pretty bad when a deaf is predjudice against another deaf because of the choises they make to feel good about themselves and move forward in this world. I have
little respect for those who are prejudicial againt me for any reason. I am doing the very best I can for me, not you. I am very proud of who I am, a deaf woman who explores all the possibilities and chooses to learn as many as she can to communicate in a world that already tells me I am not as good as they are. laughing. shame on you....Midnight..I forgive you..Peace to you

Unfortunately this statement brings back some very bad memories for me.

I was raised in multi ethnic, "mixed" neighborhoods.

Whites would come in acting and talking like emotionless robots telling us how things "Should be."

Every time a black person would bounce their head, wave their arm, or raised their voice one octave the whites would start on this binge of, "That is why we can't help you people. You just aren't civilized and respectful."

Sorry but being a civilized hearing white robot is NOT my fantasy of choice.

And I would attribute my multi-ethnic family and neighborhoods to my being very outspoken, passionate, and blunt. Beating around the bush and being overly considerate leads to nothing but misunderstanding. Say what you and mean what you say is the policy I live by. One can do this without being impolite. However, there are those that seem to consider any form of disagreement as being impolite. I feel sorry for them. They will never know the satisfaction of congruency in word and deed.

There is nothing left to concede. I had no problems conceding the point about SEE in and of itself not being a language, that doesn't bother me.

I've also not said anything negative, or spread any "misinformation" about ASL, Deaf Culture etc.

In posts regarding the topic I've always been positive, and clear that I support and value the use of ASL.

I disagree. Many others obviously do, as well.:cool2: That should tell you something.

I think I've cleared up the whole "SEE is a language thing". I'd like to get this all cleared up as much as possible. Were there any other examples?

Or do some of you just despise me because we used SEE at first? I think that's kind of what it boils down to. A handful of you didn't like the fact that I chose to use SEE in the beginning, and really from that moment on that select group detested everything I have to say.

Even when I'm providing factual, and productive information.

It really is kind of silly, isn't it?

Just some food for thought.

From the beginning? And, according to you, still continuing. If you have such a value for ASL, why was it not the first choice in language for your own deaf child? Your words and your actions do not match.

I use 4 forms of communication and will add more if I find them. Some ASL, speaking, writing, fingerspelling...I was getting pretty good at asl but lost most of it when my brain injury occured and wiped out most of the last 18 months. I have a problem with retention now so i am regaining my asl slowly.
My point being you are deaf and I am deaf, we make the best choises for ourselves. Communication should be our goal. I will use as many forms of communication as I can find and learn to communicate with, as many people as I can. to say that because I do not use ASL as my primary for communication, coming from you a deaf to another deaf is predjudicial. shame on you. If you honestly believe every deaf person in the world uses the same form of communication, you are wrong, and too ridicule someone by saying they are not giving ASL the VALUE it deserves is just nuts. You can find different types of ASL in every community. The value should be givin to the person who learns to communicate effectively with others and is comfortable with who they are as someone who is deaf. This is pretty bad when a deaf is predjudice against another deaf because of the choises they make to feel good about themselves and move forward in this world. I have
little respect for those who are prejudicial againt me for any reason. I am doing the very best I can for me, not you. I am very proud of who I am, a deaf woman who explores all the possibilities and chooses to learn as many as she can to communicate in a world that already tells me I am not as good as they are. laughing. shame on you....Midnight..I forgive you..Peace to you

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Not the deaf community's responsibility to accomodate to the late deafened.

Your communications choices are great for a late deafened person trying to remain in the hearing world.

By the way, I loved Jiro's owl sock banter.

Well I'm sorry if that's hard for some to follow. It is possible to value English and ASL equally.

It is possibile to say you do. But when your actions demonstrate exactly the opposite, and you continually refuse to answer questions reagarding your choices, it is natural that everyone doubts the sincerety and honesty of what you say.

I know people that are very blunt and they're not deaf of hoh. I know I would had been just a blunt if I was not hoh. I learned it from my dad

I've met some blunt and outspoken hearing people (and i don't have jillio in mind either) but as a rule, hearing are much less blunt or outspoken than deaf. I'm not as blunt as some deaf but that makes me an expectation - not the rule.

It's the same for those blunt and outspoken hearing people.

Yes, you know what you believe. The problem is that you are trying to convince us that you believe something other than what your actions demonstrate that you believe.:cool2: And, quite frankly, no one here is buying it. The Deaf are quite experienced in recognizing those that talk out of both sides of their mouth at once. :cool2:

Hypocrite? No.

I had to provide my son with complete access to language from day one. I had no experience with ASL, as a result I would have been a poor language model.

That's what it really boils down to. Providing access to a complete language and we were successful in that venture. SEE absolutely served it's purpose. ASL will serve it's purpose too.

You had no experience with SEE, either. So what's your point? It would seem to be that you made your choice based on what was most convenient for you rather than what was best for your child.

That is not an attack. It is a valid observation based on what you have said and done.

No insult intended, just an observation. Are your credentials up to date and
is intervention your chosen field? I ask only because your response seems
pointed and a bit self serving ( "I suggested you start a thread that could be all about you"). You yourself have "derailed" as you put it a few threads in here. Seeming to only want to bring the subject back around to what you want to say. If I offended you please forgive me. I simply wonder why someone so intelligent would say something so, "I told ya so". again just an observation. Peace to you..Midnight..♥♥♥

You haven't offended me in the least. I take criticism for what it is; generally something offered by those who know nothing about that which they are choosing to speak.

Obviously you know nothing about intervention. It is one of the most confrontational areas of mental health care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back