Is oral deaf education really a threat?

But the methods used to acheive it sometimes are. I still have scars. Physical scars also.
AMEN!!!!! faire joure THAT is what you do not understand. While oral programs aren't as bad as they were back in the old days about sign, they still have a textbook audist attitude that speech, speech and more speech is the MOST important thing in the world. It is exactly like the musical My Fair Lady or the play Pygmalion. (the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain) The hyperemphasis on speech, speech and more speech really fucks you up. How the hell can a dhh kid develop good self esteem if they're self conscious about their grammar, syntax or pronouncation or voice?
Yes, they tokenly accept ASL and that many kids might want to learn ASL later on. But it's still an afterthought.....and it's not even thought that ASL could help a lot of functionally hoh kids to REALLY thrive. Yes, there are some kids who don't really care for sign. A few years ago we had a couple of posters whose parents pursued an early intervention full toolbox for them. Guess what? They decided to DROP SIGN?!?!?!?! :shock:

Do you guys honestly think that whatever school you went, that was the best school for you, even if you were a happy camper? It isn't realistic, probably less than 1% chance. What matters the most is you are generally happy and developing with at least an appropriate amount of progress.
Bear in mind Daredevil that public education in the US IS very "one size fits all" That is the PROBLEM. Very few of us with more complicated disabltities are served adqunatly in the mainstream under a "minimal accomondations plan." Which is very often the default plan nowadays. I WILL admit that mainstream sped is pretty good at educating learning disabled kids and mild behavorial disordered kids.
Were you aware that GIFTED kids very often have significent difficulty getting a good education in the mainstream? Any kid who falls outside the realm of "average" tends to be considered hard to educate by public schools.

Bear in mind Daredevil that public education in the US IS very "one size fits all" That is the PROBLEM. Very few of us with more complicated disabltities are served adqunatly in the mainstream under a "minimal accomondations plan." Which is very often the default plan nowadays. I WILL admit that mainstream sped is pretty good at educating learning disabled kids and mild behavorial disordered kids.
Were you aware that GIFTED kids very often have significent difficulty getting a good education in the mainstream? Any kid who falls outside the realm of "average" tends to be considered hard to educate by public schools.

:gpost:

Where did I say that spoken language is abuse? Someone be sure to point it out IF you see it. I sure in the hell didn't say that.

Some of the methods of oral schools are downright abusive - emotionally, mentally, and even physically. I have actual scars from the shock treatments and the objects used to strike my hands, arms, and legs.

this is incredibly offensive. Spoken language is not abuse.

Okay, now you are just being absurd. Incredibly absurd. Nowhere did she say such a thing. You just keep doing this over and over, accusing people of all sorts of ridiculous things. Yet you wonder why so many people show little respect toward you.

Some of the methods of oral schools are downright abusive - emotionally, mentally, and even physically. I have actual scars from the shock treatments and the objects used to strike my hands, arms, and legs.
(sarcasm) But bajagirl, don't you know that has changed? Oral education has CHANGED (/sarcasm) Granted oral schools don't go in for physical abuse like they did in the 50's and 60's. But that still doesn't change the fact that virtually all oral schools are VERY My Fair Lady-ish.

From my understanding, they no longer are allowed to strike. But some states have schools that are still allowed to restrain a child's hands/arms. THAT is when I walked out.

From my understanding, they no longer are allowed to strike. But some states have schools that are still allowed to restrain a child's hands/arms. THAT is when I walked out.

That's abuse. Period.

You're kidding me? They still restrain kids from signing or even nautral guestures??!?!?! Was this recent? Was it one of the Big Programs/ Option Schools?
I know about Tucker Maxon, and how they don't even allow kids to tap each other on the shoulder to "call" each other.
Seriously SO fucked up.

You're kidding me? They still restrain kids from signing or even nautral guestures??!?!?! Was this recent? Was it one of the Big Programs/ Option Schools?
I know about Tucker Maxon, and how they don't even allow kids to tap each other on the shoulder to "call" each other.
Seriously SO fucked up.

yup

disabled kids are unable to be abused if the parents/iep/school allows

Again...it is evident that it is ABOUT the PARENTS, not about the CHILDREN! Nothing new. :roll:

How much more of that BS do we have to listen to? GEEZ!

its all about the parents during the most important years for knowledge,lanagage and skills

My daughter's school for the deaf requests that parents sign a release allowing this physical restraint and say it's for the safety of the child and other students and that teachers have been trained on how to restrain a child safely. I just refuse each year. I suppose some parents think they have to sign. :dunno:

My daughter's school for the deaf requests that parents sign a release allowing this physical restraint and say it's for the safety of the child and other students and that teachers have been trained on how to restrain a child safely. I just refuse each year. I suppose some parents think they have to sign. :dunno:

That's just wrong.

Yep, just left shaking my head in disbelief at the self centeredness and the inability to put the parents wants aside and tend to the child's needs.
There's more than one way to cater to the child's needs and not just in your perception that you think should apply to all of the deaf children.

Where did I say that spoken language is abuse? Someone be sure to point it out IF you see it. I sure in the hell didn't say that.

It is an attempt to twist your words and make you look like you are attacking people. An old ploy.

There's more than one way to cater to the child's needs and not just in your perception that you think should apply to all of the deaf children.

When it is the parent's needs that are being addressed, the child's needs are never met properly.

It is an attempt to twist your words and make you look like you are attacking people. An old ploy.

Yep! Do you ever feel like you are back in elementary school? "Teacher, teacher, Susie called me a ........." Just plain silliness around here.:lol:

Back