Is oral deaf education really a threat?

Wirelessly posted

why make an accusation like that and then not back it up?

It isn't an accusation. It is public knowledge. But, I seem to remember a short while ago, all kinds of accusations regarding the Deaf attacking oral schools and picketing outside calling parents and children names, but not a single instance of backing it up.

no need to back it up bcuz i know i will have to play 20 questions with you. Not interested in talking with you.

Ironic that one who throws out all sorts of absurd and manufactured accustions without being able to support them demands support from others for what is public knowledge.

One of oral schools I went to banned signing, you are just not allowed to and when parents come they suddenly allow signing.

Other oral school I know used to be like that from my friend but last few years they have changed because more and more signing kids come and they can't ban it anymore. (Post 16, 6th Form)

Of course. Why do you think that they want the parents there only on a scheduled time? They present a different picture. You want to know what truly goes on? Ask the students. And then, believe them.

the above reminds me of something else too - like how BIA schools or U.S. camps during WW2 would have "rosy" pictures of caring environment or have the people in them write happy and benign letters under threat to present one kinda picture but the reality of it was very different-

I personally have stepped in three deaf schools (1 oral and 2 residential) and I can safely say that I definitely prefer being mainstreamed over going to any one of these 3 schools. However, I don't know if that's the case for every single deaf school out there.

Isn't the point that you are happy where you are? Not "Oh man, I could have had been happier if I went there.". The grass is always greener on the other side.

Do you guys honestly think that whatever school you went, that was the best school for you, even if you were a happy camper? It isn't realistic, probably less than 1% chance. What matters the most is you are generally happy and developing with at least an appropriate amount of progress.

I have been to 2...... (visits only) and I left both feeling physically ill.

I went to intern at an oral school for six weeks.

I left after two days. No thanks. I don't condone child abuse.

CID is shady in this regard. They only do this in front of parents. When the parents are not present, damn.

I actually witnessed an oral-only educator put down the signing deaf kids by telling the oral deaf kids that they dont need to be doing "that thing" with their hands in front of the class.

Think she would have said that if a parent was present? I think not.

*wanted to add* When that happened, I was very very ignorant and still audist with my views on ASL at the time even though I was learning it. I still thought having oral skills was a sign of having superior intelligence. So, no..I didnt speak up at that time. I wish I did. Oh well.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

they don't use sign but they certainly have students who do.

Maybe with each other. But certainly not in the classroom or with any of the staff.

my child has signed to both the teachers and the testers. They have no problem with it. You are flat out wrong.

Wirelessly posted

deafbajagal said:

this is incredibly offensive. Spoken language is not abuse.

I feel so bad for the kids there who had to suffer like that.

Wirelessly posted

Bottesini said:
Wirelessly posted

But the methods used to acheive it sometimes are. I still have scars. Physical scars also.

yes, sometimes that has happened and that is truely terrible. But that is abuse, not oralism. Abusive people are abusive and they would have found another reason to abuse.

Wirelessly posted

Beowulf said:
Wirelessly posted

Are you for real?

yes.

and if someone came in and said it was abusive to deny a child a CI, i would say the exact same thing. If they said that it was child abuse to use ASL when a child could be independant and not be "tied to an interpreter", i would object to that as well.

Wirelessly posted

Are you for real?

Wirelessly posted
yes.

and if someone came in and said it was abusive to deny a child a CI, i would say the exact same thing. If they said that it was child abuse to use ASL when a child could be independant and not be "tied to an interpreter", i would object to that as well.

Let's say a child in a classroom starts to sign. The teacher verbally rebukes him. The child gets flustered and confused, and tries to sign again. The teacher walks up close to the child and verbally rebukes him again. The child starts to cry, and the teacher rebukes the child for that. "Speak!" the teacher demands. "Do not use THAT!" (while miming signing in a distorted way.) Is that abuse?

Actually they are some deaf adults that are glad that they didn't go to a deaf school when they were younger.
That's based on the VERY OUTDATED assumption that a mainstream solotaire education is better then a Deaf School/program education. Were you aware that there are and usually have been quite a few on par academic students at Deaf Schools? Matter of fact, did you know MSSD offers foriegn languages?!?! I really think you would be AMAZED at the quality of Deaf Schools/programs out there. We have a couple of posters (from a few years ago) who were told that ALL their dhh kids needed were minimal accomondations. Circumstances conspired so that they got transferred to dhh programs or even res school. The PARENTS are AMAZED at how good the programs are.
Heck, I know of HOH kids who are attending dhh programs or schools. There's actually an early intervention group in PA, made up of both deaf and hoh kids. ALL the parents of the hoh kids really want them to attend WPSD (the Deaf School) The parents of the deaf kids are leaning towards DePaul (an oral school)
And let me guess. You were one of those kids who pretty much thrived with minimal accomodations right? That is WONDERFUL for you. But bear in mind there have ALWAYS been mainstreamed kids who do well with minimal accomondations. Even back in the old old days! :shock:
If circumstances had been different, like if you'd been a dhh kid who needed more intense stuff, you'd be seeing what we're saying.

Let's say a child in a classroom starts to sign. The teacher verbally rebukes him. The child gets flustered and confused, and tries to sign again. The teacher walks up close to the child and verbally rebukes him again. The child starts to cry, and the teacher rebukes the child for that. "Speak!" the teacher demands. "Do not use THAT!" (while miming signing in a distorted way.) Is that abuse?

Oh it is abuse. Mental and that is the worse kind.

Let FJ live in her dream world. If it comes crashing down then the blame will belong to her.

Too bad the deafies cannot come into these oral schools and start takeover and transform it from inside out.

Back