Is oral deaf education really a threat?

Yep! Do you ever feel like you are back in elementary school? "Teacher, teacher, Susie called me a ........." Just plain silliness around here.:lol:

Sadly, it is like that. Can't we get a break from this sort of nonsense? I guess not.

Sadly, it is like that. Can't we get a break from this sort of nonsense? I guess not.

It is sad and frustrating. We can be having a perfectly civil and productive discussion about these things until a few decide to come in and hunt for any post that they can twist and make about them. Really, if people are that needy of attention, they should be spending their time in a therapist's office, not on a message board for the deaf.

Bear in mind Daredevil that public education in the US IS very "one size fits all" That is the PROBLEM. Very few of us with more complicated disabltities are served adqunatly in the mainstream under a "minimal accomondations plan." Which is very often the default plan nowadays. I WILL admit that mainstream sped is pretty good at educating learning disabled kids and mild behavorial disordered kids.
Were you aware that GIFTED kids very often have significent difficulty getting a good education in the mainstream? Any kid who falls outside the realm of "average" tends to be considered hard to educate by public schools.

See bold. Obviously those gifted kids are not happy campers. If your child is not happy in school, then obviously do something.

If it's a parent of a hearing child who is unhappy in school, they are more likely to move that child out of school or do something. (Maybe)

If it's a parent of deaf child who is unhappy in school, they are less likely to move that child out of school because "it's for the sake of the child." (Maybe).

Agree or disagree?

Of course. Why do you think that they want the parents there only on a scheduled time? They present a different picture. You want to know what truly goes on? Ask the students. And then, believe them.

Or turn up without letting them know and see for yourself (Only when they say you can visit but not say which day you can visit).

Grendel, that restraining policy isn't communication related. It's more like a policy on how to handle a kid who is having a severe meltdown.
See bold. Obviously those gifted kids are not happy campers. If your child is not happy in school, then obviously do something.

If it's a parent of a hearing child who is unhappy in school, they are more likely to move that child out of school or do something. (Maybe)

If it's a parent of deaf child who is unhappy in school, they are less likely to move that child out of school because "it's for the sake of the child." (Maybe).
I think its a mixed deal what they do with dhh kids. Many parents (especially of oral kids) basicly tell their kids to just suck it up, and that they NEED to stay in the mainstream/at a hearing school b/c they think that dhh or deaf programs/schools are just for voice off Deafies. Or they may not even be aware of the Deaf School option, since school placement is VERY politcal. Administrators of mainstream school programs don't give a shit about educating dhh kids. The ONLY thing they care about is the fact that disabled kids bring in extra money for the district. So they can get away with giving minimal accomondations, and not spend money on good quality accomondations. Some parents look for and realize that dhh programs/schools aren't as bad as they were always taught. I also think you're missing that hearing kids have to deal with super crappy schools too. Just b/c a school is a mainstream hearing school, it doesn't automaticly make it a good school. Haven't you seen Waiting for Superman?

Agree or disagree?

It is not so much about them being happy (gifted) as it is about them being challenged by the curriculum that is designed to meet the needs of the average student.

But you are correct. Parents will stand by the placement no matter what it seems. It's almost as if they are frightened of saying, "Maybe I need to change my position on this. Maybe those deaf people who shared their stories were onto something afterall."

When it is the parent's needs that are being addressed, the child's needs are never met properly.
In defense of the parents, I do think many hearing parents are simply unaware of other options out there, or they may be kind of clueless about how to raise a dhh or other special needs kid.
But yes you're right..a lot of the oral ONLY (not oral first or oral language as a very helpful tool) parents are using a parent centered model of how to raise their kids. But let me guess.....in one...two....three mintues we'll have the Usual Suspects attacking us and claiming that we're attacking the way they're raising their kids.

Some of the methods of oral schools are downright abusive - emotionally, mentally, and even physically. I have actual scars from the shock treatments and the objects used to strike my hands, arms, and legs.

did you attend judge rotberg center?

In defense of the parents, I do think many hearing parents are simply unaware of other options out there, or they may be kind of clueless about how to raise a dhh or other special needs kid.
But yes you're right..a lot of the oral ONLY (not oral first or oral language as a very helpful tool) parents are using a parent centered model of how to raise their kids. But let me guess.....in one...two....three mintues we'll have the Usual Suspects attacking us and claiming that we're attacking the way they're raising their kids.

It has been my experience that they are very uninformed regarding options. And the reason is that they only turn to hearing people for information.:cool2:

jillo that doesn't surprise me.I think many parents may be well intentioned, but at the same time they may be VERY clueless about dhh related stuff. Or they think that deaf schools and programs are straight out of the 60's. Or they think that all Deaf people think that all dhh kids need to be voice off and go off to res school. :roll:Some parents of today might be a bit more down to earth, since they may have witnessed the downsides of mainstreaming and IEPs and stuff, and had exposure to real live dhh people. One of the major things that I absolutly positively HATE is the unspoken insistution that if a dhh kid is oral and mainstreamed, they will reap ALL the benifits of the hearing/mainstream world. :roll:
faire joure..regarding the small enrollements in the Option Schools...I was stumbling around last night on the St. Joseph's site. It said that tution can be partly covered (up to 60%) by health insurance. We all know how health insurance benifits have gone down. Even decent health insurance costs a hell of a lot, and may not pay out a lot in benifits. That could be a reason why there's just a small number of kids in the private oral preschools....b/c they represent families with very generous health insurances. That's actually a big reason too why you don't see kids with HAs at oral schools a lot......b/c of health insurance costs. Yes, public benifit and insurance covers kids.....BUT again they want to make sure that public oral programs can educate them,

If we could make a video documentary with experiences shared by deaf people who have been brought up under oralism and the negative effects that comes with it.

I imagine it would have impacted a lot on hearing folks because stories would be quite visual as well the expressions showed.

If one was made then I would love it to be submitted in Cannes film festival and the rest of international film festivals.

If we could make a video documentary with experiences shared by deaf people who have been brought up under oralism and the negative effects that comes with it.

I imagine it would have impacted a lot on hearing folks because stories would be quite visual as well the expressions showed.

If one was made then I would love it to be submitted in Cannes film festival and the rest of international film festivals.

:hmm:

it was already done. somebody posted it in AD 2 years ago. I couldn't find it :(

Excellent idea.

Really. It would be nice to have a wider and comprehensive documentary done. Oh well, it was just a thought.

And aimed directly at hearing parents, including educational concerns throughout the child's school years...not just focused on the very early years as are the implant industry and the oral proponents.

And aimed directly at hearing parents, including educational concerns throughout the child's school years...not just focused on the very early years as are the implant industry and the oral proponents.

Why not to just educate humanity? Hearing parents yes, but that is a very narrow audience.

We're actually working on that.

Back