Is oral deaf education really a threat?

ncluding educational concerns throughout the child's school years...not just focused on the very early years as are the implant industry and the oral proponents
Agreed!!!!!!! Faire joure check out this link: Call for Proposals: 32nd Annual Mainstream Conference
Notice that they have as a possible topic disrepency between written and spoken English.
A lot of kids can speak but their written English is really weird. That is b/c although they can speak, they don't have full command of English.

And aimed directly at hearing parents, including educational concerns throughout the child's school years...not just focused on the very early years as are the implant industry and the oral proponents.

That was the idea I would like to see used in the documentary

We're actually working on that.

Really? That's great. Would be great to interview deafies from US, UK, Europe, Australia who were taught under Oralism from the 40s,50s and every decades since then because the way they were treated changes every decades.

Also to show a link in decline in deaf's education and jobs was caused by the soul destroying decision by Milan conference 1815. And show that AG Bell wasn't a saint but the father of cultural genocide. But I guess that's best saved for another documentary. :)

Looking forward to seeing this documentary.

I actually witnessed an oral-only educator put down the signing deaf kids by telling the oral deaf kids that they dont need to be doing "that thing" with their hands in front of the class.

Think she would have said that if a parent was present? I think not.

*wanted to add* When that happened, I was very very ignorant and still audist with my views on ASL at the time even though I was learning it. I still thought having oral skills was a sign of having superior intelligence. So, no..I didnt speak up at that time. I wish I did. Oh well.

You are speaking up now, and that is what matters.

Why not to just educate humanity? Hearing parents yes, but that is a very narrow audience.

Mostly because of the urgency in hearing parents having the information, given the impact they can have (negatively and positively) on a deaf child's entire life.

But you are correct. Everyone needs to be educated.

Back