If there WAS 100% cure...

gnulinuxman said:
Ear plugs don't block anything. They only reduce the volume to safe levels. I use them when I'm mowing the lawn, for example. Most hearing people have at least secretly wished they could just turn off their ears, but it's impossible to completely block it because the ears still pick up vibration from the skull in hearing people.

Some ear plugs do block everything but bone-conducted noise, and bone-conducted noise isn't all that loud outside of machinery (cars, lawn mowers) that you're near, and a few other sources. This is because the frequencies that travel through the bone travel through solids better than air, so they don't go as far.

So- even if somebody had to curtail one or two activties because of a CI that's a reason NOT to get one, or a reason why everybody else shouldn't be implanted?

I can't waterski or downhill ski because my vertigo gets the better of me - does that mean nobody should be allowed to ski?

My uncle needed to get a stent in his heart because of a blockage but for some reason he reacted badlyto the stent so it was removed and a full bypass was done. Does that mean that because he isn't able to use a stent, nobody should?

See where your arguements are going? Not being able to wrestle or box or do deep-sea diving is NOT the end of the world. And as Fragmenter said - with proper protection you CAN wrestle, if thats your thing. I think that arguments against implanting because you "might not be able to do something 10 years down the road" is a non-issue. Period.

gnulinuxman said:
This selfish attitude make me wanna go :pissed: !! Seriously, guys, you're DEMANDING something that hearing people have wanted for MILLENIA. If you want peace and quiet so much then you're probably better off as a deaf person anyway because you're not used to hearing 24/7, or at least you're showing that you're not willing to be like a real hearing person.

Having a bad day luv? What's wrong with having my cake and eating it? I can hear when I want to (and believe me I love to hear) and I can have peace and quiet when I want it (I love quiet at bedtime). Who says we have to be one way or the other 24/7?

gnulinuxman said:
SR171 and Rockdrummer, you both missed my point. I never said it was wrong to want to hear. It's just human nature. I'd never hold that against anybody. What is bothering me is the posts that say they'd do it only if they can turn it off. I find that kind of selfish because almost all hearing people at least once wished they could do that, whether they'd admit it or not (I am admitting I want to almost every day).

I'm not being audist. I'm merely pointing out that fairness is a two-way street.

Selfish to who? Who am I hurting? It's not my problem if hearing people are jealous of me because I can turn off my hearing aids or CI at will. To be honest I've never met a hearing person that was jealous of me so I wouldn't stress about it.

I don't see what's selfish about wanting to be able to switch hearing on and off. You admitted that you often wish you could turn your hearing off- is that selfish? No, of course not. It's not like people are breaking down their audiologists' doors screaming, "Give me hearing now, damnit! But give me the ability to shut it off too! If you don't, I'll kill you!"

Fragmenter is right about people with implants playing contact sports; I personally have friends who have been football players, wrestlers, basketball players (I know it's not intended to be a contact sport, but it occassionally becomes one :)) and hockey players. As I've said before, I work at an all-deaf ice hockey camp in Chicago, and a good number of our players have implants. And our teams, especially varsity, are not known for "playing nice," but we've never had an incident involving an implant. *knocks on wood*

ayala920 said:
I don't see what's selfish about wanting to be able to switch hearing on and off. You admitted that you often wish you could turn your hearing off- is that selfish? No, of course not. It's not like people are breaking down their audiologists' doors screaming, "Give me hearing now, damnit! But give me the ability to shut it off too! If you don't, I'll kill you!"

Fragmenter is right about people with implants playing contact sports; I personally have friends who have been football players, wrestlers, basketball players (I know it's not intended to be a contact sport, but it occassionally becomes one :)) and hockey players. As I've said before, I work at an all-deaf ice hockey camp in Chicago, and a good number of our players have implants. And our teams, especially varsity, are not known for "playing nice," but we've never had an incident involving an implant. *knocks on wood*
There you go mookie! quit using fear tatics! and this time educate yourself!

gnulinuxman said:
.... If you want peace and quiet so much then you're probably better off as a deaf person anyway because you're not used to hearing 24/7, or at least you're showing that you're not willing to be like a real hearing person.

Far from the truth, as R2D2 said we can have our cake and eat it too! As long as whatever means we hear with devices that are not a permanent solutions, we will always be able to "turn" it off. I pray tell why not? Any sane person would take that option if they could.

Find something to really complain about...this is nothing.

gnulinuxman said:
SR171 and Rockdrummer, you both missed my point. I never said it was wrong to want to hear. It's just human nature. I'd never hold that against anybody. What is bothering me is the posts that say they'd do it only if they can turn it off. I find that kind of selfish because almost all hearing people at least once wished they could do that, whether they'd admit it or not (I am admitting I want to almost every day).

I'm not being audist. I'm merely pointing out that fairness is a two-way street.

Ummm....you subscribe to the theory that life should be fair... Son, sorry to disappoint you but life is never fair. Some get all the breaks and some never do and of course most of the rest of us are somewhere in between.

I take umbrage on this whole train of thought of yours. There is no "pro quid pro" when it comes to hearing. If you have it, you got it great and can join the sheer majority of the human race. For those of us that run the gamut in hearing losses, we are the ones with the disadvantage. We have to fight "harder" to obtain equality (or at least some sort) with the hearing (for the majority of the deaf...this is never really achievable). This is regardless if it is "easier" for some like myself. I didn't get good at being in the hearing world by just standing next to them. I had to work my butt off to understand the dynamics of the hearing world and understand what I was missing. Once I got that, it was so much easier but I'm still reminded everyday in subtle ways what things I don't hear (my favorite reminder is they hear the thunder before I do...oh how I love to be the first to hear something far away!!!).

If it is an advantage for us to "turn" off sounds when we don't want it, so what? Our advantage is piddling compared to the advantages of the hearing. There is no equality in that kind of relationship and never will be.

My piece of advice to you is to enjoy what your Creator gave you in regards to hearing and leave it alone. Don't try to compare apples to oranges and remember that life is never fair.

Yes, I would do it in heartbeat. Why? Because there's many jobs I could work and earn good living. I'd have to work with speech therapist so they can help and work with me to hear words to understand and speak like hearing person. I wish there's one now because I'd love to have that done and to be able to hear then I'm off to find jobs, more job opporunities out there for me. :fingersx:

I find it interesting that some people who have no desire for a CI have to reiterate over and over again that they are "proud to be deaf". I wonder why that is? It's almost as if....they feel threatened? Someone who is comfortable with who they are doesn't need to keep on saying that they are proud to be who they are, they just are! Someone who is white for example doesn't go around saying they are proud to be white, they are comfortable with it and just get on with it. For the most part they don't feel particularly threatened when other white people go and make different choices to them. They are comfortable with their diversity.

I almost wonder when there is subconsciously a form of shame or feeling of being threatened and an effort is made to cover up that unrecognised shame by shouting loud "I'm deaf and I'm proud!" The louder you shout the more you cover it up?

R2D2 said:
............I almost wonder when there is subconsciously a form of shame or feeling of being threatened and an effort is made to cover up that unrecognised shame by shouting loud "I'm deaf and I'm proud!" The louder you shout the more you cover it up?
You're reading my mind.... scary!! :shock:
For some people I think you are right. I have had the same feeling with some people.
BTW, do you have Sound & Fury at home?

No I don't have Sound and Fury unfortunately as it doesn't seem to be available in Australia. Also if I order a DVD from the US it's a different region and I'm not sure if it would work with our DVD player. We managed to play a UK DVD on our laptop which overrided this for some reason but I am not sure if it would work for an US DVD.

Were you able to order it in Norway or did you order from the US? I'd really love to see it and also the sequel as well.

R2D2 said:
No I don't have Sound and Fury unfortunately as it doesn't seem to be available in Australia. Also if I order a DVD from the US it's a different region and I'm not sure if it would work with our DVD player. We managed to play a UK DVD on our laptop which overrided this for some reason but I am not sure if it would work for an US DVD.

Were you able to order it in Norway or did you order from the US? I'd really love to see it and also the sequel as well.

Got it from the states I think. Don't recall. Video is an option. Also, in Europe some DVD's can play any region...

Am trying to get the sequal. Just follow the link Boult provided. They tell you to send a check... not possible for me. Don't have them. They are arranging to pay by creditcard....

Looking forward to see that one. Come to think of it... sequals are rarely better.....

Sweetheart said:
I rather to stay to being deaf no matter what it is, Im very proud to be deaf!

That's wonderful - but let me ask you this - is it not possible for somebody to still be "proud" of their deafness and embrace being able to hear when they need/want to with a CI? More and more people from within Deaf Culture are getting CI's - does that mean they stop being proud of who they are?

Mookie made me remember that documentary on the little people family on TLC. The family has twins and one of them are average sized like us and the other twin is a little person. He has a shunt inside from his body starting from the top of his neck all the way down to his torso.

Do you see him sitting around and doing nothing because the doctors cautioned him against physical activities? No, he is living large 24/7.

Fragmenter said:
Mookie made me remember that documentary on the little people family on TLC. The family has twins and one of them are average sized like us and the other twin is a little person. He has a shunt inside from his body starting from the top of his neck all the way down to his torso.

Do you see him sitting around and doing nothing because the doctors cautioned him against physical activities? No, he is living large 24/7.

I just watched a good program "Little People Big World".

top_banner.jpg

The parents just ignored doctor's cautions about his little son. Same as you just ignored the doctor's cautions that your kid with CI could not play in any contact sports….

That’s pretty odd that one of the Twin is a little lad with his highly intelligent and other is a tall one with low IQ…

Fragmentor, where did you get that midget idea about my comment. Methinks that you may have watched too much on WFW or RAW programs…

That is the program I watched. I'm just comparing the ideas of ignoring the doctor's advice.

Doctors don't always know best :)

Fragmenter said:
That is the program I watched. I'm just comparing the ideas of ignoring the doctor's advice.

Doctors don't always know best :)

:roll:

Same old tales for the deaf culture.....

Back