If there WAS 100% cure...

Fragmenter said:
To be able to hear?

Yep. I think Hooster is really saying to gnu that is just too bad if they (hearing) have to hear all this whether they want to or not.

I say it goes both ways. Those of us who can't hear (whatever degree of deafness) and those who can. So, the grass is greener on the other side? Totally depends on one's perspective.... Personally, I love not hearing when I sleep but otherwise I prefer to hear. Whether or not this is fair (to the hearing), I really can't be too sympathetic to the hearing as they are used to it and there are ways to accomodate situations where one doesn't want to hear.

Update - The corrollary is that it is not like we can decide to hear!

Last edited:
sr171soars said:
The only thing I know of is regenerating cochlear hairs and they are actually working on certain animals with it at the moment. Now, I can't say when they might be able to go that route probably a decade or two.

To answer your question, heck yes I go for it. Bring on the sounds and all its glory (loud or otherwise). I'm used to what HA and a CI can bring and having that "extra bit more" just like the hearing would be really great! I admit I still like to sleep without sounds... :thumb:

Yes, I would also consider having it for my young child as well.
What about cloining a cochlea? I often wondered about that.

gnulinuxman said:
This is one thing I have a problem with. Some of you only want to be able to hear if you can turn it off. You need to realize that hearing people just have to put up with it or wear ear earplugs/headphones to block out sounds. That's a pretty selfish attitude, guys.
The thread asks a question about ones SELF so being selfish is ok. I am hearing and would love to be able to turn it off once and a while too.. Nothing wrong with that.

rockdrummer said:
What about cloining a cochlea? I often wondered about that.

Now, you are into the clone wars (pun intended) :D

An excellent question. Per se, I have no trouble with the concept but I wonder about the ethics. It really depends how this is done. In any case, it will probably be a long while and maybe after my time before I would have to deal with that. The more advances are made the more troubling it can be when one considers these type of things.

gnulinuxman said:
This is one thing I have a problem with. Some of you only want to be able to hear if you can turn it off. You need to realize that hearing people just have to put up with it or wear ear earplugs/headphones to block out sounds. That's a pretty selfish attitude, guys.

Hearing people can buy some sort of ear plugs or maybe there will be something later on in the future for some hearing people that are bothered by sounds or noises in the background or around them .. :dunno:

R2D2 said:
LOL! So true. I love having my quiet time at night.
This selfish attitude make me wanna go :pissed: !! Seriously, guys, you're DEMANDING something that hearing people have wanted for MILLENIA. If you want peace and quiet so much then you're probably better off as a deaf person anyway because you're not used to hearing 24/7, or at least you're showing that you're not willing to be like a real hearing person.

^Angel^ said:
Hearing people can buy some sort of ear plugs or maybe there will be something later on in the future for some hearing people that are bothered by sounds or noises in the background or around them .. :dunno:
Ear plugs don't block anything. They only reduce the volume to safe levels. I use them when I'm mowing the lawn, for example. Most hearing people have at least secretly wished they could just turn off their ears, but it's impossible to completely block it because the ears still pick up vibration from the skull in hearing people.

rockdrummer said:
The thread asks a question about ones SELF so being selfish is ok. I am hearing and would love to be able to turn it off once and a while too.. Nothing wrong with that.
Uh, please re-read my post. You obviously missed my point completely.

SR171 and Rockdrummer, you both missed my point. I never said it was wrong to want to hear. It's just human nature. I'd never hold that against anybody. What is bothering me is the posts that say they'd do it only if they can turn it off. I find that kind of selfish because almost all hearing people at least once wished they could do that, whether they'd admit it or not (I am admitting I want to almost every day).

I'm not being audist. I'm merely pointing out that fairness is a two-way street.

gnulinuxman said:
SR171 and Rockdrummer, you both missed my point. I never said it was wrong to want to hear. It's just human nature. I'd never hold that against anybody. What is bothering me is the posts that say they'd do it only if they can turn it off. I find that kind of selfish because almost all hearing people at least once wished they could do that, whether they'd admit it or not (I am admitting I want to almost every day).

I'm not being audist. I'm merely pointing out that fairness is a two-way street.

Youve been whining repeatedly about how things are skewed unfairly for the deaf people, and now when something comes up that actually would be an ADVANTAGE for somebody who is deaf, compared to hearing people, you cry "UNFAIR!"????

I swear sometimes I don't know whether you are coming or going. Do you?

Fragmenter said:
:rofl:

Mooron, the only thing that will get damaged is the device itself, not the person. Education is key. You're welcome.

Plus the materials are made of titanium, plantium and silicone (try bending titanium and plantium yourself) nowadays. And, I'm not done, my childhood best friend wrestled competitively all of his life WITH a cochlear implant from the 80's.

:Owned:

Now, back on topic.

Was your friend wearing a special helment?

Cochlear implant
The implant has a few effects unrelated to hearing. People who have cochlear implants are cautioned against contact sports because there is some risk of a blow to the head damaging the housing of the internal device. Manufacturers have also cautioned against scuba diving due to the pressures involved, but the depths found in normal recreational diving appear to be safe. The external components must be turned off and removed prior to swimming or showering. Some brands of cochlear implant are unsafe in areas with strong magnetic fields, and thus cannot be used with certain diagnostic tests such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), but some are now FDA approved for use with certain strengths of MRI machine. The electronic stimulation the implant creates appears to have a positive effect on the nerve tissue that surrounds it.

Cochlear Implant Myths & Realities
Myth
Cochlear Implants weaken the skull so if someone with a Cochlear Implant gets hit in the head, they will fracture their skull.

Reality
People who have Cochlear Implants are cautioned against contact sports because there is some worry that a blow to the head may damage the housing of the internal portion of the cochlear implant, but not because of the possibility of a skull fracture. A slight depression is made in the mastoid for the housing of the internal device to sit into, but this does not weaken the skull. This portion of the skull is very thick and I have heard of no instances, nor do I know of any instances where a blow to the skull has resulted in a skull fracture due to that person having received an implant.

I would also like to mention in reference to the possibility of damage to the housing of the internal portion of a Cochlear Implant, the materials used are very strong and this risk is very slight. Wearing a helmet for contact sports, whether or not the person has a Cochlear Implant, is the smart thing to do.

CI: SPECIFIC ACTIVITY TEACHING CONSIDERATIONS
Avoid activities that could result in head injuries/serious blows to implant side of the head: football, hockey, rugby, soccer, wrestling, tumbling, and other contact sports.

Fragmenter, you need to delete "R" and add "K".....

Should I call you a "fragmoron"?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's right. They caution against contact sports. It doesn't mean you're forbidden from participating in contact sports. Do you know what titanium's strength is? Plantium? They're impressive alloys. And what about silicone that can absorb impacts/vibrations? The worst case scenario, as far as I can understand, is damage to the device itself but the user won't be injured any more than anybody else receiving the same blow to the head.

As for my friend, I don't know if he wore earguards or not but they don't stay on wrestlers' head half the time during matches. I have wrestled against him in drunken stupor from time to time and we played everything, including imaginary swordfighting with Wiffle bats.

I just see the big picture; there are far more pros against cons of cochlear implants. 90% of the cons with cochlear implants are related to the surgery and healing periods.

:) Everybody who doesn't take a CI because he/she wants to take up martial arts and scubadiving.... Raise your hand! :)

We won't ever handle our son with white gloves. We know anything can happen, so what? Freak acidents happens all the time. He can slip and fall on the implanted side of his head.

Poop Happens. Life's too short to worry about damaging the device.

Again, the point is, he is gonna get TONS more in return than what he may sacrifice. Nobody plays hockey, rugby, football and wrestles all together religiously. My son may end up being a musician after all. There are alternatives to contact sports. There are non-contact sports that are just as fun as hockey, rugby, football and etc.

Fragmenter said:
That's right. They caution against contact sports. It doesn't mean you're forbidden from participating in contact sports. Do you know what titanium's strength is? Plantium? They're impressive alloys. And what about silicone that can absorb impacts/vibrations? The worst case scenario, as far as I can understand, is damage to the device itself but the user won't be injured any more than anybody else receiving the same blow to the head.

As for my friend, I don't know if he wore earguards or not but they don't stay on wrestlers' head half the time during matches. I have wrestled against him in drunken stupor from time to time and we played everything, including imaginary swordfighting with Wiffle bats.

I just see the big picture; there are far more pros against cons of cochlear implants. 90% of the cons with cochlear implants are related to the surgery and healing periods.

Really? See the heads coming toward the mat...

legs lock the head...

Head lock

Good luck....

Mookie said:
Want to play rugby game? First thing you (CI) have to do is to sign the waive the liability form....
you wouldn't want to wear the BTE CI or HA same thing.. but as for internal device, it is sturdy, in case it is damaged, it can be replaced via reimplantion.. as fragmenter said, education is key! he's right... it is time to put fear behind and quit using fear tatics on us..

Fragmenter said:
:rofl:

Mooron, the only thing that will get damaged is the device itself, not the person. Education is key. You're welcome.

Plus the materials are made of titanium, plantium and silicone (try bending titanium and plantium yourself) nowadays. And, I'm not done, my childhood best friend wrestled competitively all of his life WITH a cochlear implant from the 80's.

:Owned:

Now, back on topic.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mookie said:

legs lock the head...

Head lock

Good luck....
here's world smallest violin! . <--

Mookie said:

legs lock the head...

Head lock

Good luck....

Yes, these pictures and more are exactly what he did for many years.

Back