If there WAS 100% cure...

There are already medical techniques being used to prevent the incidence of deafness such as the rubella vaccine and the use of IVF.

We had to use IVF for male infertility and we were offered a genetic screening technique for testing the embryos for deafness on top of that as my deafness is genetic. To be honest I felt insulted. For me it was like saying that my life was not worth living. If my mother had used IVF for that reason then I would have been one of the embryos that was discarded.

We declined the test and ended up having a hearing child anyway.

R2D2 said:
There are already medical techniques being used to prevent the incidence of deafness such as the rubella vaccine and the use of IVF.

We had to use IVF for male infertility and we were offered a genetic screening technique for testing the embryos for deafness on top of that as my deafness is genetic. To be honest I felt insulted. For me it was like saying that my life was not worth living. If my mother had used IVF for that reason then I would have been one of the embryos that was discarded.

We declined the test and ended up having a hearing child anyway.

Interesting. I'd not take the test either - I don't see deafness as a reason for a baby to be considered nonviable, especially when there are SO many options available in today's world, and more being discovered all the time.

no, accept kids hearing loss, that who they re. If I ever get CI, I won't be the same who i'm. I am happy who i'm and my deafness. Don't let deaf haunt you. Yeah I'm proud that i'm deafness. I'm so happy that i didn't go for CI years ago. My good friend was hoh, and wanted CI so badly, so finally he got CI years laters. Good enough it made his hearing into deaf. And, it make him unhappy and did told regret that took CI cuz, it changed who he is. Well my answer is no.

neecy said:
GOOD POINT!!! There are times I turn my CI off simply because I find it easier to focus in quiet (like when I'm studying for a test) and it does make falling asleep easier. I've tried falling asleep with my CI on, and its been harder.

As long as we're saying, "but I also want," I want to retain the ability to plug directly into my laptop or iPod without extraneous noise. :whistle:

SherryCherish said:
no, accept kids hearing loss, that who they re. If I ever get CI, I won't be the same who i'm. I am happy who i'm and my deafness. Don't let deaf haunt you. Yeah I'm proud that i'm deafness. I'm so happy that i didn't go for CI years ago. My good friend was hoh, and wanted CI so badly, so finally he got CI years laters. Good enough it made his hearing into deaf. And, it make him unhappy and did told regret that took CI cuz, it changed who he is. Well my answer is no.

How does having a CI change who you are? :dunno:

it may affects. my good friend, he was very confidently and opening, after CI, he is very ashamed and quiet. He is not the same when he was...

With hearings, (with CI) if ur were deaf, You turned around and can hear and talks, could lead u different personality than u were.

If u re hoh, and with CI turn into deafness. You used to hear the voices and hearing things but not perfects, and after CI, u felt U left out, u missed alots of voices and sounds. Its hard on them.

SherryCherish said:
it may affects. my good friend, he was very confidently and opening, after CI, he is very ashamed and quiet. He is not the same when he was...

With hearings, (with CI) if ur were deaf, You turned around and can hear and talks, could lead u different personality than u were.

If u re hoh, and with CI turn into deafness. You used to hear the voices and hearing things but not perfects, and after CI, u felt U left out, u missed alots of voices and sounds. Its hard on them.

I wonder if your friend became that way because he was worried about the reaction from his deaf friends to his CI? He is probably aware that there are some people who aren't very positive about CIs in the community. Anyway unless you can get him to come here and post his reasons for the change in his personality then we will never know for sure.

With or without a CI I think in life we all change anyway. We never stay the same. I think a CI might have some impact on a person's personality (more confident, less confident whatever) but change isn't always a bad thing. It depends.

My Audiologist knows that Stem Cell Regeneration would probably work.

But they won't do it, it keeps people in business to keep people sick and ill or disabled.

If they was a cure, I'd go for it but not through electronics, stem-cell or Frequency Regeneration.

Dannie,

I am rather skeptical that they would be so keen to keep people in business that they would hold back on projects like stem cell regeneration. I think that if it could be done faster they would do it because just think of all those social costs government agencies and insurance companies would save on CIs, hearing aids, interpreters, welfare payments, employment training etc. It would be huge over the lifetime of a deaf person.

well, its my opinion or my seeking in people with CI, are changed with their personality. My good friend don't have computer. If he do have one, i would be more happy to let him know to come down to share with his story here. God made us that way. And I don't need to be change it. Its better than being blind, or can't walk etc. I don't think I need to have CI myself. If something nothing work for kids' hears, just accept and not need to punish them for it. Well, its your opinion, if u want that way. Whatever it make you happy. R2D2

Thanks for reading my opinion here.

SherryCherish said:
well, its my opinion or my seeking in people with CI, are changed with their personality. My good friend don't have computer. If he do have one, i would be more happy to let him know to come down to share with his story here. God made us that way. And I don't need to be change it. Its better than being blind, or can't walk etc. I don't think I need to have CI myself. If something nothing work for kids' hears, just accept and not need to punish them for it. Well, its your opinion, if u want that way. Whatever it make you happy. R2D2

Thanks for reading my opinion here.

That's fine no worries :) And I agree that God made us this way and I don't seem myself as not being deaf any more once I've had the CI implanted. I just see the CI as a tool to improve my access to the hearing world. However I understand that many deaf people have no need for that and I don't judge them. I think that everyone should have the personal choice to be where they want to be in life.

As R2D2 stated, a CI is just a tool.

About the only change I see in myself (with a CI) is that I can hear better. As for the rest, nothing changed at all. Let's just say I kept on truckin' :D

I dunno, :dunno:

I cannot answer that question because a question like this would be like how would I know if I'll enjoy being hearing, when I cannot remember the last time I had my hearing to begin with, Being deaf is all I've experience pretty much all through my life. It's the same applied to asking hearing people if they would prefer to be deaf to experience the world of silence, How can they answer that question when they never experience being deaf to begin with?

But, Cheri, the difference here is "gaining" a sense rather than "losing" it.

If you're going to ask hearing people if they want to be deaf, then ask yourself if you want to be blind, too.

I'd want to be able to hear, of course!

IF that happens one of these days, IMO - I would rather stick to being deaf that is because it's what I have had all my life - being deaf. Sure, I would be curious to see what it is like to be able to hear but to be able to hear on a daily basis, That's something I am not sure about. It's like you'd have to have your world turned upside down when you're in a new, unknown surrounding. I am just happy with the way I am, being able to see, taste, touch and smell.

Fragmenter said:
But, Cheri, the difference here is "gaining" a sense rather than "losing" it.

If you're going to ask hearing people if they want to be deaf, then ask yourself if you want to be blind, too.

I'd want to be able to hear, of course!

Want to play rugby game? First thing you (CI) have to do is to sign the waive the liability form....

Mookie said:
Want to play rugby game? First thing you (CI) have to do is to sign the waive the liability form....

:rofl:

Mooron, the only thing that will get damaged is the device itself, not the person. Education is key. You're welcome.

Plus the materials are made of titanium, plantium and silicone (try bending titanium and plantium yourself) nowadays. And, I'm not done, my childhood best friend wrestled competitively all of his life WITH a cochlear implant from the 80's.

:Owned:

Now, back on topic.

Levonian said:
Yeah, I would do it. So would my wife. But as a caveat, I would prefer that this magical solution be some sort of artificial device, so that I could turn it off at will. There's definitely one good thing you can say about deafness—it sure comes in handy sometimes when you're trying to get some sleep. :|
This is one thing I have a problem with. Some of you only want to be able to hear if you can turn it off. You need to realize that hearing people just have to put up with it or wear ear earplugs/headphones to block out sounds. That's a pretty selfish attitude, guys.

Back