I need advice

Yes, good list of deaf resources on that site, and as Ash pointed out, don't judge that book by its cover (or site by its title), many states classify deafness as a developmental disability because it is tied to language delays. That's why deaf kids in most if not all states are automatically candidates for early intervention, IFSBs.

Which states classify deafness as a developmental disability, please?

Early intervention is not limited to children with developmental disorders. One does not need to reclassify a disorder in order to receive, or to automatically qualify for, EI services.

I do agree, that you should question those services that are very generalized, and you do need a VR counselor familiar with D/deafness... though I have also found some states, and it looks like WV is one of them, that they put everything on one site for any child with a disability, and I know it can be hard sorting through them... trying to figure out what is what... which is why i put it out there for the two links that were aimed at helping the deaf child.

Right. With such a limited listing of resources, I would jump right ahead to the federal programs and agencies. Sometimes that is necessary. If a particular state has a very low incidence of deaf children, their services will be lacking.

I thought your school district was supposed to pay for your kids education. That's how it is in California and I kinda asumed it was like that everywhere.. PUBLIC LAW 94-142

I thought your school district was supposed to pay for your kids education. That's how it is in California and I kinda asumed it was like that everywhere.. PUBLIC LAW 94-142

they are, education is something that for the most part, is left to the local level of the government. The federal level has some input, and funds the local level (to an extent) but the local level (aka your school district) is suppose to pay for children to be education in the "least restrictive environment" according to the ADA.

Basically that is what Public Law 94-142 refers to. But the way it is administered is subject to the ADA federal law, and it can be open to interprettion of the state's "experts". That is why these things can be so tricky for parents and why kids are continuing to go without services. Parents are not as familiar with services, availability, or the law as they need to be, and are unaware of the fact that they can use an advocate to help them. A professional advocate in an IEP meeting is like having a lawyer in a court hearing.

Basically that is what Public Law 94-142 refers to. But the way it is administered is subject to the ADA federal law, and it can be open to interprettion of the state's "experts". That is why these things can be so tricky for parents and why kids are continuing to go without services. Parents are not as familiar with services, availability, or the law as they need to be, and are unaware of the fact that they can use an advocate to help them. A professional advocate in an IEP meeting is like having a lawyer in a court hearing.

The Advocates are very important. We just found out my niece has Hearing loss, and my sister wanted me to go to the first IEP meeting with her... I went, and we are getting miss Izabella in a preschool that is aimed at DHH students, in a bi-bi environment. The county didn't want to provide her with this placement, since it was outside of their own school distrcit. I came in prepared and helped my sister get this for her. My sister sees how much happier I am now, having gotten into the Deaf Community, and how much Izabella is using the little sign she knows. I am teaching her as of right now. If we had found a professional advocate (which is what I went to school with the idea of being, a child advocate) we may have gotten more for her. It is something that my sister is going to be looking into when they revisit her IEP in 6 months.

The Advocates are very important. We just found out my niece has Hearing loss, and my sister wanted me to go to the first IEP meeting with her... I went, and we are getting miss Izabella in a preschool that is aimed at DHH students, in a bi-bi environment. The county didn't want to provide her with this placement, since it was outside of their own school distrcit. I came in prepared and helped my sister get this for her. My sister sees how much happier I am now, having gotten into the Deaf Community, and how much Izabella is using the little sign she knows. I am teaching her as of right now. If we had found a professional advocate (which is what I went to school with the idea of being, a child advocate) we may have gotten more for her. It is something that my sister is going to be looking into when they revisit her IEP in 6 months.

It is wonderful that you were able to assist your neice and your sister. You are going to be a valuable resource and important person in both their lives, I am sure. It sounds as if you got the placement that was appropriate for her in the beginning. As her needs begin to change, you will also have developed a larger base of knowledge in these things, and may never have to go the professional route.

It is wonderful that you were able to assist your neice and your sister. You are going to be a valuable resource and important person in both their lives, I am sure. It sounds as if you got the placement that was appropriate for her in the beginning. As her needs begin to change, you will also have developed a larger base of knowledge in these things, and may never have to go the professional route.

thats what we are hoping for... I would love to be able to help more kids in the area... I am doing more and more research on a daily basis to help further my knowledge of what can be done, what is an appropriate placement (because unfortunately I grew up in mainstream, and I do not want that for my niece) and what the laws are. My sister kept telling me she wasn't talking, at least not in an understandable way... and I had no idea because I couldn't hear her... I saw her moving her mouth... I knew what she was trying to say :) she has a mild to moderate loss... and in the past 2 weeks... she has been learning to sign up a storm. Its her and her sisters birthday tomorrow (they turn 3) so I'll try and get some pictures.

thats what we are hoping for... I would love to be able to help more kids in the area... I am doing more and more research on a daily basis to help further my knowledge of what can be done, what is an appropriate placement (because unfortunately I grew up in mainstream, and I do not want that for my niece) and what the laws are. My sister kept telling me she wasn't talking, at least not in an understandable way... and I had no idea because I couldn't hear her... I saw her moving her mouth... I knew what she was trying to say :) she has a mild to moderate loss... and in the past 2 weeks... she has been learning to sign up a storm. Its her and her sisters birthday tomorrow (they turn 3) so I'll try and get some pictures.

I woulld love to see some pics of them!

That is exactly how I got into the field. As my own son needed advocacy, I was educating myself, and in the process discovered how many deaf children are going without appropriate services simply because a parent is not up to the stress of advocacy, or because they are unable to grasp all the details that are so important regarding placement. Since the law is open to interpretation, especially concerning the LRE, one has to be prepared to argue that a deaf placement is the LRE and also to support why it is with developmental, linguistic, and psychosocial sources. Some parents simply feel overwhelmed by all of that.

Yes, good list of deaf resources on that site, and as Ash pointed out, don't judge that book by its cover (or site by its title), many states classify deafness as a developmental disability because it is tied to language delays. That's why deaf kids in most if not all states are automatically candidates for early intervention, IFSBs.

And in defense of that classficiation, a lot of times kids with developmental issues will have hearing/sight or other issues.

We just found out my niece has Hearing loss, and my sister wanted me to go to the first IEP meeting with her... I went, and we are getting miss Izabella in a preschool that is aimed at DHH students, in a bi-bi environment. The county didn't want to provide her with this placement, since it was outside of their own school distrcit. I came in prepared and helped my sister get this for her. My sister sees how much happier I am now, having gotten into the Deaf Community, and how much Izabella is using the little sign she knows. I am teaching her as of right now. If we had found a professional advocate (which is what I went to school with the idea of being, a child advocate) we may have gotten more for her. It is something that my sister is going to be looking into when they revisit her IEP in 6 months.

YEAH!!!!!!! That is AWESOME!!!!! And Izabella will learn ASL.....I know that Deaf ed seems to be getting VERY hoh friendly. Speech therapy might be an area of concern, but then again hoh kids don't tend to need really intense spoken language approaches. Meaning they can benifit from just a garden vairety speech therapy approach..........but we don't often get ASL and Deaf Ed.....and that's gonna be a PLUS for her!

Jillio- My son has other issues he does have speech delay but we are solving that with ASL (he may or may not talk but its not important as long as he stays with ASL)

Ash- Thanks I will definently check those links out. I do have a job I work as a Geriatric Nursing Assistant. I do have donated HA my mom's priest friend gave me (luckily) Im having difficulties because one is broken and it seems weak I do not have insurance and because I work West Virginia will not let me have Medical Assistance.

If I do not get what i want I continue to call IEP meetings until I get what I want. I have not heard from the advocate but I am definantly looking for one and taking one with me to my IEP. Im just looking at my resources and finding the laws so when I go to the IEP meeting I know what the law is.

I do not remember who asked this but yes, MSD does have children from different states one as far as new york there I just do not know how the parent placed that child if there is a deaf school in state and how so far. That is what I need to know is how those parents are able to place their child in an out of state school. Its just so frustrating...

Which states classify deafness as a developmental disability, please?

Early intervention is not limited to children with developmental disorders. One does not need to reclassify a disorder in order to receive, or to automatically qualify for, EI services.

I think what Grendel is referring to is the fact that many DHH kids qualify under the categories of Deaf or "hearing impairment" and Speech and Language Disorder. Some don't qualify for the category of Speech and Language disorder if their language and articulation are considered "age appropriate"
(generally speaking).

I don't believe I've seen mention of Early Intervention bring limited to developmental disabilities anywhere in this thread.

Last edited:
Jillio- My son has other issues he does have speech delay but we are solving that with ASL (he may or may not talk but its not important as long as he stays with ASL)

If I do not get what i want I continue to call IEP meetings until I get what I want. I have not heard from the advocate but I am definantly looking for one and taking one with me to my IEP. Im just looking at my resources and finding the laws so when I go to the IEP meeting I know what the law is.

I do not remember who asked this but yes, MSD does have children from different states one as far as new york there I just do not know how the parent placed that child if there is a deaf school in state and how so far. That is what I need to know is how those parents are able to place their child in an out of state school. Its just so frustrating...

Do you want him to speak? Believe it or not, many Deaf Schools (and not just the oral ones like Clarke) have really good speech therapists. Matter of fact, we have a mom who sent her daughter to TLC b/c the speech therapy was BETTER there. I hope you can find out how those out of state kids got placed at MSD.....your kids really need a good Deaf School, especially your son.

Again, these children do not have developmental disorders. They are deaf. She does not need referrals to agencies serving children with developmental disorders. It would be sending her on a wild goose chase.

One needs to be skeptical of any agency serving deaf children that is listed with agencies serving children with developmental disorders. Pretty obvious what approach they take to deafness. Much the same as any other mainstream type agency. This mother needs to stick with those agencies that are experienced with deafness, and those who have knowledge and experience specifically in deaf ed. Special ed doesn't get it for deaf students.

And I don't think that it is within your domain to tell me when or how to respond to anything. You take care of your own posts, and I will take care of mine.

Again; you allowed your unwarranted negativity towards me to cloud your vision, and not even take
the opportunity to look at the link I provided.

Also regarding the bolded statement above, it would appear that you are more interested in negating
virtually everything I have to say, even when I'm offering up information directly relevant to the situation at hand. It seems you are trying to, "take care" of my posts.

You nay say the link I provided without even clicking on it. Yet you are quick to "like" and compliment Ash345's post, when she was providing links that she had gotten directly off the link I provided.

Your personal vendetta's against myself and others on this forum aren't necessary. It often appears you respond before actually reading posts in there
entirety, looking for anything and everything you can jump on.

Let's leave the silliness out of this thread, and allow this mother to read some
thoughtful and insightful posts..

You are not Pat Benatar; this is not love, and it's certainly not a Battlefield.

Last edited:

Ash- Thanks I will definently check those links out. I do have a job I work as a Geriatric Nursing Assistant. I do have donated HA my mom's priest friend gave me (luckily) Im having difficulties because one is broken and it seems weak I do not have insurance and because I work West Virginia will not let me have Medical Assistance.

Yes, most deaf children will indicate a speech delay, or a language delay. Still, those are not considered "developmental disorders" but simply the consequence of his deafness. That is why it is important to address his issues from a perspective of deafness. There are still many out there, in public school systems especially, that try to remediate these issues for deaf children in the same way they would for a child with autism, or another cognitive developmental disorder. That is why it is important for parents to know and understand the differences in classification, and the differences in which the problems need to be addressed.

Again; you allowed your unwarranted negativity towards me to cloud your vision, and not even take
the opportunity to look at the link I provided.

Also regarding the bolded statement above, it would appear that you are more interested in negating
virtually everything I have to say, even when I'm offering up information directly relevant to the situation at hand. It seems you are trying to, "take care" of my posts.

You nay say the link I provided without even clicking on it. Yet you are quick to "like" and compliment Ash345's post, when she was providing links that she had gotten directly off the link I provided.

Your personal vendetta's against myself and others on this forum aren't necessary. It often appears you respond before actually reading posts in there
entirety, looking for anything and everything you can jump on.

Let's leave the silliness out of this thread, and allow this mother to read some
thoughtful and insightful posts..

You are not Pat Benatar; this is not love, and it's certainly not a Battlefield.

Again, never mind the reply. I refuse to participate in seeing another thread being taken off track by someone's constant defensiveness. These parents need information. They do not need these new parents that think they have learned it all in a couple of years time taking things off track with their defensiveness again.

You are taking the steps you need to take. Keep going. Yes, it will be frustrating fighting this battle, but I can see that you understand the importance of fighting it, and will not give up until your children's needs are met.

Back