I need advice

You know I just thought of something. There needs to be a "slush fund" for kids with low incidence disabilties, so they can take advantage of going to deaf school or blind school or mental handicap school or whatever school, without taking money away from the nondisabled kids.

I am still fighting it I havent heard word yet but I do know I am waiting on AACO to write a letter supporting the decidion for austin to go to MSD until then he is in a mainstream school which sucks because he learns nothing

I am still fighting it I havent heard word yet but I do know I am waiting on AACO to write a letter supporting the decidion for austin to go to MSD until then he is in a mainstream school which sucks because he learns nothing

Are you fighting against Anne Arundel county? If so, you can file for due process because children from that county have gone and are going to MSD.

They have not called a meeting for Austin they placed him in a school (mainstream) with a shared interpretor and want to see "what they can do to help " and "see how he is before any decidions are made" I honestly do not know what to do from here MSD said they are ready for him they just need the letter from AACO and AACO said they want to "get to know Austin before they send the letter" so.... I called my advocate and I still am waiting to hear back from her.

As for Emma I have my meeting tomorrow, tuesday, and that is just a screening meeting

They have not called a meeting for Austin they placed him in a school (mainstream) with a shared interpretor and want to see "what they can do to help " and "see how he is before any decidions are made" I honestly do not know what to do from here MSD said they are ready for him they just need the letter from AACO and AACO said they want to "get to know Austin before they send the letter" so.... I called my advocate and I still am waiting to hear back from her.

As for Emma I have my meeting tomorrow, tuesday, and that is just a screening meeting

That's typical mainstreaming...the want to see if the child "fails" first to justify sending the child to the Deaf schools. That's why the system is soo messed up. I hope your advocate can light a big fire on this and get things going!

That is absolutely absurd of them!!! Magic words: least restrictive environment means FULL access to visual language and most appropriate placement. Tell them you will file due process if they hinder your child's educational progress...every day the child waits is a day lost. Go get 'em!!! We got your back. God I wish I was rich enough to fly there now and help you get that baby in school. Believe me, they don't want a visit from me.

They should already have done their evaluation for the committee to determine if he qualifies for special education services ...then the committe, NOT the school district, determines placement.

Shit like this pisses me off...I'm sorry you're dealing with it.

That is absolutely absurd of them!!! Magic words: least restrictive environment means FULL access to visual language and most appropriate placement. Tell them you will file due process if they hinder your child's educational progress...every day the child waits is a day lost. Go get 'em!!! We got your back. God I wish I was rich enough to fly there now and help you get that baby in school. Believe me, they don't want a visit from me.

They should already have done their evaluation for the committee to determine if he qualifies for special education services ...then the committe, NOT the school district, determines placement.

Shit like this pisses me off...I'm sorry you're dealing with it.

That is why a group of us are going to the Legislators and Congress to fight to change the definition of LRE when it comes to Deaf education. We got a powerful lobbyist on our committee.

I wish I can share more but cant here. Like you said...teachers have no freedom of speech but give u a hint of why I am overworked....political committee duties. Tough work...but I hope in the long run, it will change things for the better for deaf students country-wide

As soon as you can talk about it, please be my little blue bird. I'm definitely looking forward to see that long overdued change in deaf education!!!

Just too bad that the topic of the National Debt Ceiling posponed this issue and others until next year. Blah...I am not a BIG part of it but yes, I am contributing to it. :)

Well, I heard from my advocate today she told me to call an immideate IEP meeting to get on with the show

The school told me today that Austin couldnt attend all day because they could not find an advocate to stay with him all day and they are no longer looking for one that he will be in Kindigarden all day. So we had it out with the principal

As far as Emma-Leigh she starts as soon as her teacher calls me to tell me to tell me what is going on...

Yeah we told the school if something does not come through soon that we are sueing the county we have already talked to a lawyer..

That is why a group of us are going to the Legislators and Congress to fight to change the definition of LRE when it comes to Deaf education. We got a powerful lobbyist on our committee.

I wish I can share more but cant here. Like you said...teachers have no freedom of speech but give u a hint of why I am overworked....political committee duties. Tough work...but I hope in the long run, it will change things for the better for deaf students country-wide

One thing that I think would REALLY help is mandating that kids within 50 miles of the deaf (or blind) school go to the deaf (or blind) school for early intervention/early childhood. That would REALLY help out a lot!!!!! I mean NO public school can offer a comparable experiance. I really do think many parents of dhh kids would be AMAZED at how good the programming is at deaf schools. My friend who has a HOH kid (a hard of hearing) kid sent her kid there for preschool and kindergarten and absolutly loved it......

Back