I need advice

Or MSD... Which school is that and how far away is it?

MSD is in Fredrick Id say about 45 min from my home in Martinsburg and WVSDB is in Romney it is 1 hour and a half from my home.

I have not got a letter like that how do you get that?(letter)

MSD is in Fredrick Id say about 45 min from my home in Martinsburg and WVSDB is in Romney it is 1 hour and a half from my home.

I have not got a letter like that how do you get that?(letter)

Wow- so it's less than half the commute time?

I need to do a little research, but you sure have some good reasons to back up placement at MSD. When you add up the amount of time they'd spend in the car, I really think that could be persuasive.

Last edited:
Did you get a chance to find out if there are any other DHH programs in your area? You have two children, with similiar but different needs. Based on those individual needs you'll be able to determine what the most appropriate placement would be.

What are your sons qualifying category/categories of eligibility?

I'm assuming your daughter qualifies under "hearing impairment"? I despise that word.

I believe that your original plan of keeping your children together in their placement is the best way to go, for both their academic, and psychosocial concerns. Putting one of them in a self contained DHH program and the other at the Deaf school is not a good choice.

My son's handicaps are not sevear he doesnt understand things that a "normal" or "average" 5 year old would understand he doesnt do the things like jump off a step like other kids would he doesnt talk. He is smart when it comes to taking things apart and putting them together he does remember things very well.

I do think Romney is far but, it is better than boarding them. I have verbally requested MSD when I went to set up the IEP meeting and they told me that they will not do that because the state has a school for the deaf. I did bring up that MSD was closer than WVSDB. I have wrote everyone I could think of regarding this matter on the schools being far and the people that can help you simply say no. I have told myself I am only staying here if it is best for my children. BUT if WV makes my young kids take this trip everyday to school I will be moving back to MD because they offered them more. I have read articles about WVSDB that were not so great on the educational systems but I am not giving up. I just do not know what else to do.

Those are expected language delays that being in an ASL environment consistently will remediate. I'm sure Shel can tell you how many students have come to her delayed, and blossomed undet the bi-bi program. This is another reason that placement at a Deaf school is so important for your kids.

My son's handicaps are not sevear he doesnt understand things that a "normal" or "average" 5 year old would understand he doesnt do the things like jump off a step like other kids would he doesnt talk. He is smart when it comes to taking things apart and putting them together he does remember things very well.

I do think Romney is far but, it is better than boarding them. I have verbally requested MSD when I went to set up the IEP meeting and they told me that they will not do that because the state has a school for the deaf. I did bring up that MSD was closer than WVSDB. I have wrote everyone I could think of regarding this matter on the schools being far and the people that can help you simply say no. I have told myself I am only staying here if it is best for my children. BUT if WV makes my young kids take this trip everyday to school I will be moving back to MD because they offered them more. I have read articles about WVSDB that were not so great on the educational systems but I am not giving up. I just do not know what else to do.
Oh so, either lack of language exposure or even a learning disabilty? It's hard to tell which is which. He may have organic issues, but then again it might just be a simple lack of exposure. When he gets into an ASL program, he could really really thrive. It's good that he doesn't have severe issues. He can fit in even if there's not a formal multihandicapped program. But still....there's always the possibilty that he's got more potential then anyone realizes. It may just be a matter of giving him the correct tools and the right teachers/educational enviroment.
You know..... I wonder if you could push the fact that although the tution to MSD would be expensive, the state would be saving on transportation. Transportation is a real boondoogle, and I can imagine that it would be VERY expensive to transport a kid every single day to WVSDB. I wonder if you brought that up. Let me see if i could find someone to help you. I know on one of my listservs, people have mentioned cross state placement as a real possibilty.

AandEmomma- just wondering how things are going for your children and what happened with placement... I hope it all worked out well for them.

Kind of off topic, but I have noticed quite a few dhh parents who were mainstreamed and oral, are now sending their kids to deaf school or dhh program, and learning ASL.....that really does make you think.
And yes, I'd love to hear an update. They really do need a Deaf School placement for early childhood.

Well, sorry I havent been on here for a while the school wanted to mainstream my kids and keep my son from Kindigarden well i said fine they need teaching interpretors so they wanted to hire 1 interpretor for both kids in two different classes.. So I moved to my moms house in Maryland I am still trying to get my kids in school but they will go to a deaf school so... I am still going trough a small process but its better than being stuck in a school that will not give you much education.

Well, sorry I havent been on here for a while the school wanted to mainstream my kids and keep my son from Kindigarden well i said fine they need teaching interpretors so they wanted to hire 1 interpretor for both kids in two different classes.. So I moved to my moms house in Maryland I am still trying to get my kids in school but they will go to a deaf school so... I am still going trough a small process but its better than being stuck in a school that will not give you much education.

Oh, I hope you get them placed appropriately! What a runaround for you, and so much precious time lost. Is MSD still your goal? Since they were there before, that must be a leg up, right? Sending good thoughts your way.

MSD is my goal of course with Austin I have to go through the process of the county paying for services because he was accepted in an Enhanced Services Program. And as far as Emma-Leigh I am sending to a HOH program in a mainstream school they use sign but she will go back to MSD when she is 4 which is in December

MSD is my goal of course with Austin I have to go through the process of the county paying for services because he was accepted in an Enhanced Services Program. And as far as Emma-Leigh I am sending to a HOH program in a mainstream school they use sign but she will go back to MSD when she is 4 which is in December

Will Austin go to the Columbia campus because they have the Enchanced Services Program there?

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very happy for you. It was tough to move back in with your mom....but on the other hand, at least now your kids can get a good education....and that's awesome that Emma is in a HOH program that uses Sign. Much better then solotairing it. Argue that Austin needs specialized dhh teachers, not just teachers who know a handful of signs.

Yes we live in Pasadena Md so Colombia would be the school they go to I have not visited it yet and I plan to get an advocate from MSD to join me for the IEP meeting for him the school special ed director knows me personally from when i lived up here before and im getting a feeling like before they are not going to listen to me so instead of having IEP meeting after IEP meeting im just getting an advocate for the first one. I already have Emma some teachers from MSD comming to the house and I am lucky while Austin is not in school that they are working in groups for him (they are not for him but its nice people care)

Yes we live in Pasadena Md so Colombia would be the school they go to I have not visited it yet and I plan to get an advocate from MSD to join me for the IEP meeting for him the school special ed director knows me personally from when i lived up here before and im getting a feeling like before they are not going to listen to me so instead of having IEP meeting after IEP meeting im just getting an advocate for the first one. I already have Emma some teachers from MSD comming to the house and I am lucky while Austin is not in school that they are working in groups for him (they are not for him but its nice people care)

Sounds like you got it together. high5

I know that the special ed dept at Anne Arundel county would try to fight to keep your children in their schools instead of letting them go to Columbia. I should know..I live in AA county. They are a great school district but too political sometimes. Good idea to get the advocate there! Good luck!

Back