I need advice

From all over the USA or just the nearby states? I was under the impression that Kendall is a day school. I have to admit that I never attended Kendall even though I could see the school everyday on the way to the MSSD caferia while I was a student there.

I'm almost certain that Kendall is a day program.

When your state has a deaf school, I don't think it is an option to get them to pay tuition to another state's deaf school.

Not always. Sometimes if a person lives near another state's borders, they might attend another state's Deaf School. Also, if a state deaf school has a specialized program (ie an autism program) they can accept students from other states. Also, MSSD accepts students from all over the country, even those that have a Deaf School.

Im still waiting to hear from an advocate to help me place them... Im sure someone will be in contact sometime next week.. As far as the special ed of my county i have to find their contacts still i honestly didnt think to contact all of them since i spoke with the director of special ed from the geko and then she told me the kids would have to be boarded to go to the deaf school of wv and that wv was not going to pay for them to go to msd regardless... I just dont understand the problem im sure im not the only parent of a dhh child in the state that feels this way

Im still waiting to hear from an advocate to help me place them... Im sure someone will be in contact sometime next week.. As far as the special ed of my county i have to find their contacts still i honestly didnt think to contact all of them since i spoke with the director of special ed from the geko and then she told me the kids would have to be boarded to go to the deaf school of wv and that wv was not going to pay for them to go to msd regardless... I just dont understand the problem im sure im not the only parent of a dhh child in the state that feels this way

Hopefully the advocate can help you. This is a weird sitution. The director of special ed may be misinformed or simply trying to weasel out of paying for MSD. Believe me, public special ed directors have it in their interest to keep the money from dhh/blind/low vision kids in the state....and I cannot believe at ALL that she suggested boarding your little kids. This isn't the 50's!

Request that the director of special ed be present for the kids' IEP meetings. Also request the presence of anyone from the Deaf school that you can get there. They can argue the differences in deaf ed and just a mainstream placement with a terp. And keep in mind, you do not have to accept the school's recommendations. You can request that you have a due process hearing.

Hopefully the advocate can help you. This is a weird sitution. The director of special ed may be misinformed or simply trying to weasel out of paying for MSD. Believe me, public special ed directors have it in their interest to keep the money from dhh/blind/low vision kids in the state....and I cannot believe at ALL that she suggested boarding your little kids. This isn't the 50's!

They always say they can't pay for it. It works until they get ahold of a parent that knows the law and the rights of her children. This is a common tactic.

These children do not have a developmental disorder. They are deaf.

Jillio- please stop being so quick to respond to, or nay say my posts. I'm offering up additional resources for this parent to look into, which are appropriate. I never said they had a developmental disorder. If you had taken the time to actually look at the link you would have seen that there are resources on that page.

This parent is looking for help, and that's what I'm trying to do. Please don't turn what could be a productive thread into something nasty. Thank you.

Last edited:
From all over the USA or just the nearby states? I was under the impression that Kendall is a day school. I have to admit that I never attended Kendall even though I could see the school everyday on the way to the MSSD caferia while I was a student there.

From my knowledge, they accept international and local students.

Jillio- please stop being so quick to respond to, or nay say my posts. I'm offering up additional resources for this parent to look into, which are appropriate. I never said they had a developmental disorder. If you had taken the time to actually look at the link you would have seen that there are resources on that page.

This parent is looking for help, and that's what I'm trying to do. Please don't turn what could be a productive thread into something nasty. Thank you.

Again, these children do not have developmental disorders. They are deaf. She does not need referrals to agencies serving children with developmental disorders. It would be sending her on a wild goose chase.

One needs to be skeptical of any agency serving deaf children that is listed with agencies serving children with developmental disorders. Pretty obvious what approach they take to deafness. Much the same as any other mainstream type agency. This mother needs to stick with those agencies that are experienced with deafness, and those who have knowledge and experience specifically in deaf ed. Special ed doesn't get it for deaf students.

And I don't think that it is within your domain to tell me when or how to respond to anything. You take care of your own posts, and I will take care of mine.

I wrote both supertendaints to WVSDAB and MSD and WVSDAB wrote me back telling me they could not help me!!! I am confused?!?!? Any suggestions?

They can only get involved once the IEP has convened, and a request for placement has been made. I know it is frustrating, but these things follow a specific protocol, and it has to be followed.

When your state has a deaf school, I don't think it is an option to get them to pay tuition to another state's deaf school.

It is an option, but not one that is easy to get put in place. Out of state tuition is higher, and the special ed director of the home school will buck like a bronco on out of state placement. Due process will usually not find a decision in favor, either, based on the fact that the home school is required to find a reasonable placement in the least restrictive environment. They are not obligated to provide an optimal placement. The wording of the ADA is often a double edged sword.

you said you talked to a Deaf advocate right? if not I would get in touch with West Virginia Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing they may be able to help... also, if you are looking for help getting HA's for yourself or your children, try downloading this http://www.dors.state.md.us/NR/rdonlyres/DF194636-F236-45D1-A3FB-9E319CE66095/0/Hearing_Aid_help.pdf
there are 6 pages of resources here that could help you and your children. If I remember correctly you said that you have had a hard time finding work because of not having HA's anymore, try looking here as well, they may be able to help you in more than just getting you new HA's, but also possibly finding you work Welcome - WV Division of Rehabilitation Services

Good links, ash.

found them (the first two on the one that CSign had posted) I think the site was actually named wrong... because it wasn't really information for developmental delays, it was more for anything that would be classified as a disability, and if not treated properly, could cause a delay, such as hearing loss or low vision. And unfortuantely our society sees being deaf as a disability... so these children get grouped together with children with downs syndrome and other true developmental delays. the third one I just googled wv vr, VR (vocational Rehab) helped me quite a bit when I lived in AZ. I tried to get them to pay for ASL classes for me here in CO, but because I have a job that pays decently, they won't pay for anything here.

found them (the first two on the one that CSign had posted) I think the site was actually named wrong... because it wasn't really information for developmental delays, it was more for anything that would be classified as a disability, and if not treated properly, could cause a delay, such as hearing loss or low vision. And unfortuantely our society sees being deaf as a disability... so these children get grouped together with children with downs syndrome and other true developmental delays. the third one I just googled wv vr, VR (vocational Rehab) helped me quite a bit when I lived in AZ. I tried to get them to pay for ASL classes for me here in CO, but because I have a job that pays decently, they won't pay for anything here.

True that. Which is why one needs to use services of the deaf, for the deaf, and by the deaf. These umbrella services do more harm than good. Which is why I question the philosphy of an agency that lists themselves in a generalized site. Just as I question the special ed services provided for the deaf in the mainstream. They are never services specific to the deaf and do not even come close to what Deaf ed truly is.

VR is always a good resource for the D/deaf adult. It varies by state, but once again, it is necessary to request a VR counselor familiar with D/deafness. Otherwise, you are not being served as you should be.

Check out this website. Some potential resources for you:

Resources for Children with Developmental Disabilities

Yes, good list of deaf resources on that site, and as Ash pointed out, don't judge that book by its cover (or site by its title), many states classify deafness as a developmental disability because it is tied to language delays. That's why deaf kids in most if not all states are automatically candidates for early intervention, IFSBs.

True that. Which is why one needs to use services of the deaf, for the deaf, and by the deaf. These umbrella services do more harm than good. Which is why I question the philosphy of an agency that lists themselves in a generalized site. Just as I question the special ed services provided for the deaf in the mainstream. They are never services specific to the deaf and do not even come close to what Deaf ed truly is.

VR is always a good resource for the D/deaf adult. It varies by state, but once again, it is necessary to request a VR counselor familiar with D/deafness. Otherwise, you are not being served as you should be.

I do agree, that you should question those services that are very generalized, and you do need a VR counselor familiar with D/deafness... though I have also found some states, and it looks like WV is one of them, that they put everything on one site for any child with a disability, and I know it can be hard sorting through them... trying to figure out what is what... which is why i put it out there for the two links that were aimed at helping the deaf child.

Back