I need advice

Jillio- My son has other issues he does have speech delay but we are solving that with ASL (he may or may not talk but its not important as long as he stays with ASL)

Ash- Thanks I will definently check those links out. I do have a job I work as a Geriatric Nursing Assistant. I do have donated HA my mom's priest friend gave me (luckily) Im having difficulties because one is broken and it seems weak I do not have insurance and because I work West Virginia will not let me have Medical Assistance.

If I do not get what i want I continue to call IEP meetings until I get what I want. I have not heard from the advocate but I am definantly looking for one and taking one with me to my IEP. Im just looking at my resources and finding the laws so when I go to the IEP meeting I know what the law is.

I do not remember who asked this but yes, MSD does have children from different states one as far as new york there I just do not know how the parent placed that child if there is a deaf school in state and how so far. That is what I need to know is how those parents are able to place their child in an out of state school. Its just so frustrating...

Correction...MSD (Maryland School for the Deaf) doesnt accept children from out of state as far as I know.

MSSD (Model Secondary School for the Deaf) in Washington, D.C does.

Again, never mind the reply. I refuse to participate in seeing another thread being taken off track by someone's constant defensiveness. These parents need information. They do not need these new parents that think they have learned it all in a couple of years time taking things off track with their defensiveness again.

I'm not taking anything off track.

More pointing out the fact that your only goal is to negate my posts (along with other posters) simply because you have a personal issue.

Don't try to manipulate this situation and turn it on me. You know just as well as I do I'm not being defensive. I'm addressing the fact that you have blinded vision every time you see my posts.

That's why you went off about "developmental disabilities" in regards to my link (instead of checking it out, as I did BEFORE I posted it). Only to turn around and "like" Ash345's post which contained links from me.

I do have things to offer, and it will be a less hostile environment if you'll allow people like myself (and some others) to post without you automatically hitting the reply button with your misguided comments.

I thank you in advance for this thread carrying on without the unnecessary animosity.

The above post is taking things off track. This is not about you. AD is not the place to fulfill your narcissistic needs. If you want a thread that focuses on you, start one. Stop derailing the threads where there are productive discussions going on with parents by playing out your defensiveness and gudges.

The above post is taking things off track. This is not about you. AD is not the place to fulfill your narcissistic needs. If you want a thread that focuses on you, start one. Stop derailing the threads where there are productive discussions going on with parents by playing out your defensiveness and gudges.

I don't want a thread that focuses on me. I want to participate in a productive dialogue, and have the opportunity to intelligently discuss whatever topic is at hand. All I'm saying is objectively view what I write before you say I'm wrong, or don't know what I'm talking about. The reality is I write what I'm confident about, and if I'm not sure I will make that clear. I do happen to have a very solid understanding of the SpEd system, and DHH kids rights within the educational system.

We can both agree we want to be productive. Let's start there.

MSD told me that they take out of state students My daughter was in the Family Education Part of the school and when I lived in Maryland my advocate worked for them and told me that too. But whatever it takes Im willing to do I havent had time to check out ash's links but will I have just worked 24 hrs this weekend and doing college but I will be on the ball game this week possibly tomorrow. and I am def. going to check to see what maybe the Audiologist says maybe they have an insite as well You never know

MSD told me that they take out of state students My daughter was in the Family Education Part of the school and when I lived in Maryland my advocate worked for them and told me that too. But whatever it takes Im willing to do I havent had time to check out ash's links but will I have just worked 24 hrs this weekend and doing college but I will be on the ball game this week possibly tomorrow. and I am def. going to check to see what maybe the Audiologist says maybe they have an insite as well You never know

Wow...that must be a new policy. Well, in that case, I stand corrected. Good luck!!!

yes they board ppl too but older age but i do know one person is from NYC and flies back home every friday

AandEmomma- that link I provided has a number of resources listed. I would call all of them (as you get time) because you never know who might be able to help, and who might have the information you need.

Some probably won't be as helpful (in my experience), but if you reach out to many different agencies one is bound to help. Also, there is a Parent Resource Center listed on that page. They often to classes and things to help educate parents about their rights and their childrens rights.

Wrightslaw seems to also do conferences there. If you have an opportunity to attend one, I'd highly recommend it.

Placement is really going to come down to evaluation and expert input at your IEP meeting now. That is why a Deaf advocate is important at this stage. Have the kids had a re-evaluation done? Make sure your audi is of the same mind as you are regarding educational placement. Gally's Center for the Law can be very specific for educational laws. The NAD is also very helpful with these issues and have a staff of attorneys to answer questions and provide advice. Just go to the NAD website and follow links. Send off an email detailing the issues.

Csign yes thanks for the link I will def check and get a hold of whomever may or may not help the more the better someone is bound to help me.

Jillio I have heard of NAD but how exactly do they help ppl? I will check the site out for sure as i used it before to write a letter to the schools to get my son in MSD cuz washington county wanted to keep his funding. I am a little confused on the re- evaluation thing who do I get to evaluate my kids both deaf schools? Can you fill me in to what your speaking of?

Csign yes thanks for the link I will def check and get a hold of whomever may or may not help the more the better someone is bound to help me.

Jillio I have heard of NAD but how exactly do they help ppl? I will check the site out for sure as i used it before to write a letter to the schools to get my son in MSD cuz washington county wanted to keep his funding. I am a little confused on the re- evaluation thing who do I get to evaluate my kids both deaf schools? Can you fill me in to what your speaking of?

The educational agency responsible for providing services is responsible for the evaluation. The school for the deaf could most likely do a comprehensive evaluation, they would most likely need a referral from the school district or county office (from whoever is providing the services).

Where do things stand at this point in terms of where they are going to school? I would imagine the school year is starting soon, which is probably a bit disconcerting if you don't have placement.

From what I read, it seems like the school district is in agreement that the school for the deaf is most appropriate, correct? The only point of contention was whether or not they would provide transportation?

NAD is a national organization. They have a staff of lawyers on site to help with the legal issues with placement, etc. They were very helpful with a previous client I had regarding hospital accommodations when it was necessary for him to go for an extended stay.

A child with an IEP has to, by law, be re-evaluated every 3 years as long as they are in school. Those evaluations are used in deciding appropriate placement for a child. I always insisted that my son not just get an audiogram and educational eval from the school, but a psychological eval and language eval, as well. And the educational eval I insisted be done by someone with experience in deaf ed. It is amazing sometimes the difference in the eval interpretations when they are done by an expert in deaf ed compared to one who is not. The same with the psychological evals and the language evals.

The home school district should be able to set those evals up for you, and are responsible for paying for them.

Once placement has been decided, the home school is responsible for paying any and all transportation costs. They cannot deny transportation if placement is already decided.

The educational agency responsible for providing services is responsible for the evaluation. The school for the deaf could most likely do a comprehensive evaluation, they would most likely need a referral from the school district or county office (from whoever is providing the services).

Where do things stand at this point in terms of where they are going to school? I would imagine the school year is starting soon, which is probably a bit disconcerting if you don't have placement.

From what I read, it seems like the school district is in agreement that the school for the deaf is most appropriate, correct? The only point of contention was whether or not they would provide transportation?

I can answer the questions posed to me myself, thank you.

Csign- I have not heard anything yet on an IEP meeting I went to the school up here to place them but havent heard word yet.. They have not went to school yet here in WV.

Jillio- I'd have to do that after they get placed. and every answer is good even if the question was kinda adressed to you its always nice to hear what other people think I should do anything helps at this point I want to be totally prepared when I get the IEP meating so that way they know I'm well educated on all of this.

AandE- typically the students get assessed annually, and a comprehensive evaluation is done every 3 years. From the results of the assessments the IEP/IFSP team can make determinations as to what goals are needed for the student to meet standards and continue benefitting from their educational program.

It is important for the assessments to be done in the Childs primary mode of communication, so that they will yield the most accurate results. Also, it is important for someone with a backround in DHH so that they have a clear understanding of what the needs are, and how it impacts their education.

It is from the students individual needs and goals that drive placement. If it is documented that ASL is their primary mode of communication, and include goals about them improving on their language skills (ASL) it would be beneficial. Also something to the effect of them engaging/interacting with peers who also use their primary mode of communication. All these little details will help drive placement.

Jillio and Csign- I was NOT in any means trying to put yall on the table that way its hard to express what I want to say for me on the internet I really DO appriciate Everything yall are doing really..

GREAT NEWS : I got an IEP set up for the 16th but, i do not know how I feel about this:
They are talking about providing everyday transportation to and from the Romney school for the deaf (1hr and 30 min away) Its kind of far but its a deaf school I need some feedback what would you do if this was your child? Keep in mind if that child needs to be picked up from school ASAP for medical reasons or beyond... Im mixed cuz I want them in a deaf school but I do not know if I want them that far.... let me see both sides..

Back