I am not getting a CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those that go around without hearing anything, sometime I wonder how they handle certain things. Such as how do they even know if someone is talking to them? Wouldn't that run the risk of running into one of those "Hey, I was talking to you...!". Even before I got my CI, I always made sure to wear my HA's when I went out. Too many sounds to keep tracked of.
Oh...

Thats what I say. No worries in life. Less stressful that way too.

To those that go around without hearing anything, sometime I wonder how they handle certain things. Such as how do they even know if someone is talking to them? Wouldn't that run the risk of running into one of those "Hey, I was talking to you...!". Even before I got my CI, I always made sure to wear my HA's when I went out. Too many sounds to keep tracked of.

Aha, those good old days of worrying so much about whether someone is trying to talk to me or not. I sure dont miss them. :D

Aha, those good old days of worrying so much about whether someone is trying to talk to me or not. I sure dont miss them. :D

Yep, I don't worry about it either. If it was that important, they make sure they get my attention. It's not been a problem.

I never did and still don't.

Personal "value judgement" whether one perceives what others are speaking-not using ASL-is worthwhile! Yeah-helps to be a hermit!( Excluding having a personal interpreter sign to you for non using ASL persons)

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Personal "value judgement" whether one perceives what others are speaking-not using ASL-is worthwhile! Yeah-helps to be a hermit!( Excluding having a personal interpreter sign to you for non using ASL persons)

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I dont use an interpreter.

a load off your shoulders, eh

Looking back during my non ASL days...I just thank the stars that I am no longer in that place.

Sure I still have some issues here and there but knwoing that I have the Deaf community and ASL, I don't get the same anxiety as before.

Yes this is true due to surgery risk, but that's why you try to get a surgeon you can trust. Still risking it I know, but you have nothing to lose physically.

Deaf and nothing less than that, so I can't see why OP wouldn't want to try out a CI.

Surgical risk is only part of it. There are also a lot of aural rehabilitation that goes with getting a CI; especially for those that choose to implant later in life. It's not like you have surgery and you can understand everything right away. You have to learn what sounds mean. There's a lot of work involved for someone who chooses that route. Its not to be taken lightly.

Not to mention the possibility of reimplanting if you choose this route. Deaf with no hearing have their own load to carry and so does CI deaf. You have to pick which load you want.

Not to mention the possibility of reimplanting if you choose this route.

I'm not sure what the stats are on that, but yes, you're right. There is the risk of devise failure and the need to be reimplanted. No device lasts forever, so at some point, those with a CI will need to be re-implanted due to failure, or at least, be presented with a choice that they will have to make.

I'm not sure what the stats are on that, but yes, you're right. There is the risk of devise failure and the need to be reimplanted. No device lasts forever, so at some point, those with a CI will need to be re-implanted due to failure, or at least, be presented with a choice that they will have to make.

Based on several studies at individual centers around the world, I believe the rate of revision surgery (to replace a device that failed -- a little less than half of these cases -- or provide a tech upgrade to those with very old implants, reposition electrodes within the cochlea or the receiver just under the skin because of tissue movement or continued ossification, etc.) is roughly 3-5%, with a 98% positive result (improved comprehension or performance).

In my 8 years of teaching experience, I have seen 2 students having to get reimplanted. Not too bad.

In my 8 years of teaching experience, I have seen 2 students having to get reimplanted. Not too bad.

It's a given that ALL CI recipients will need to be reimplanted at SOME point in their LIFE TIME. This is what I was referring to. The CI doesn't last forever. Nothing does, so yes, a person will have to be re-implanted, if they so choose.

People automatically look at the word "re-implant" and think "Oh, device failure upon insertion." That does happen, but I was referring to those who have the device for 10-15 or 20 yrs. I'm unsure of the "life" of a CI, but, it's not eternal.

yes , implant usually last a very long time, but there may be a time you'll may have to be reimplanted. CI is a lifetime responsibility to keep making it work (rehab, batteries, mapping, replacement of processor, dealing with insurances, etc.) Don't get me wrong, Having little or no hearing is the same way.

It's a given that ALL CI recipients will need to be reimplanted at SOME point in their LIFE TIME. This is what I was referring to. The CI doesn't last forever. Nothing does, so yes, a person will have to be re-implanted, if they so choose.

People automatically look at the word "re-implant" and think "Oh, device failure upon insertion." That does happen, but I was referring to those who have the device for 10-15 or 20 yrs. I'm unsure of the "life" of a CI, but, it's not eternal.

wait wait wait wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE ALL HAVE TO BE REIMPLANTED!!!!!????!!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

But how do we know when we have to be reimplanted? I got my CI surgery in 1993 and I'm 20 years old now...so....does that mean I have to get a surgery in few years?!??!?!?!?! And....every 20 years in my life time???!?!? >.< >.< >.<

Man, it looks like it's going to be super expensive go undergo surgery =/ =/

yes , implant usually last a very long time, but there may be a time you'll may have to be reimplanted. CI is a lifetime responsibility to keep making it work (rehab, batteries, mapping, replacement of processor, dealing with insurances, etc.) Don't get me wrong, Having little or no hearing is the same way.

Which is why I brought this up. Someone above questioned Flip about the CI, and, I was saying that it's a tough decision for someone who has been deaf for most of their lives. Some may decide it's worth it, but, others wouldn't.

It's a lot of work for little gain in some cases. Then, there's always the possibility of the device failing and needing another surgery. Again, some would do it, but, I also know others who wouldn't.

But how do we know when we have to be reimplanted? I got my CI surgery in 1993 and I'm 20 years old now...so....does that mean I have to get a surgery in few years?!??!?!?!?! And....every 20 years in my life time???!?!? >.< >.< >.<

It depends on the life of your device, but yes, at some point you will need to have another surgery. I cannot tell you when that will happen, but I can almost assure you that it will. Nothing is perfect or lasts forever. If you didn't know that before, you just learned something new.

CIs made today are built to last a lifetime and consist of a great deal more potential than can currently be utilized, planning ahead for future tech. Human beings are generally more frail than those titanium components. That doesn't mean that someone with one won't be one of the 5% who need or want to be reimplanted at some point (either bc of device failure or a wish for more advanced implant).

What Parents Need to Know About CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back