I am not getting a CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you don't mind my asking, but what's your reason/motivation for doing this? It seems to be a pretty drastic change in lifestyle.

But I do wish you good luck in what decision you want to make.

See my reasons in the OP. Thanks for wishes!

I agree.

First of all, I understand and I like my silent world too. Just because I like visualizing better. Sometime, I use my HAs for my distracting world. LOL It's like a on and off switch. I know HA is not cheap, so just put it in the box. Whenever it comes to your mood to use it, you know? So, good luck.

Thanks. I was perhaps a bit quick stating I'll throw them.. perhaps inside a frame on the wall? hm, something to think about!

Nice parody flip :giggle:

Sure the genre of the OP is parody, but the content is not, i.e. the underlying message is free of irony, and posters are free to interpret and use the OP as they want. I appreciate the support and wishes here! Maybe you have some wishes, too? ;)

Last edited:
I wish you the best of the luck. I have heard that the best way to learn a different language is to immerse oneself in that language for few months.

Thanks! Good idea, I look forward to total immersion, nothing below 100 percent :)

Yes this is true due to surgery risk, but that's why you try to get a surgeon you can trust. Still risking it I know, but you have nothing to lose physically.

Deaf and nothing less than that, so I can't see why OP wouldn't want to try out a CI.

I simply can't see how my friends with CI have a better life than those who don't, so to me it's nothing to win, just a lot to loose, like the risk associated, rehab time, expectations from the surroundings to benfit from it, wasting time with less than 100 percent immersion with other people, no increase in social skills, and so on. But you know, it's about personal choices and how we perceive the world. No offense.

But hey, I'm looking for support for my choices, not people criticizing them.

I don't see where the OP states he's not a candidate for CI and I personally forgot to see if he's a candidate in the first place and will ask if one is before I dish out posts like that... I'm sorry if I offended... :/

No problem. I am a candidate for CI, or, doctors and my hearing family says so.

Thank you all of you for the support. Really look forward to expand my life and experience new opportunities!

Hey Flip,

I support your choices. I made the decision like you did at one point in my life and gave myself 10 yrs of pure silence. I learned alot about who I am as a person and what I wanted out of life. It took me a long time to come to the decision that I wanted to hear again. No matter what choice you decide to take it is never the wrong choice, each decision is a learning path we take. Best of luck to you in the future!

my hubby has a heavily tinnius and got a CI for it. It wasn't working, same thing for HAs. So my hubby lives with his annoying tinnius for the rest of his life 24/7. =? tinnius always find a way to annoy in the mind.

Flip, guess get lots of awesome visualization lights, and colored stuff to keep you busy. lol. I tend not to use my HAs for my workouts and I do it alright without relying on musics to follow the steps or whatever it takes. Just looking around more as it become a good habit. :)

Hey Flip,

I support your choices. I made the decision like you did at one point in my life and gave myself 10 yrs of pure silence. I learned alot about who I am as a person and what I wanted out of life. It took me a long time to come to the decision that I wanted to hear again. No matter what choice you decide to take it is never the wrong choice, each decision is a learning path we take. Best of luck to you in the future!

Thanks for the input. It's interesting what silence can do to us. A guy I know immersed himself into silence for 40 years. It wasn't before he retired, he choosed to check out those new HAs on the market.

my hubby has a heavily tinnius and got a CI for it. It wasn't working, same thing for HAs. So my hubby lives with his annoying tinnius for the rest of his life 24/7. =? tinnius always find a way to annoy in the mind.

Flip, guess get lots of awesome visualization lights, and colored stuff to keep you busy. lol. I tend not to use my HAs for my workouts and I do it alright without relying on musics to follow the steps or whatever it takes. Just looking around more as it become a good habit. :)

It's so much visual stuff going on, also in signed and written languages, I get overwhelmed at the thought how busy one can become. At least I'll free some more time for visual experiences by avoiding what I perceive as medicore auditative inputs by HA and CI.

Should probably install flashing LEDs in my place to keep myself totally stimulated.. LOL

Btw, hope there will be a better cure for tinnius in the future, so one don't have to risk a surgery that maybe don't work, that is, if one don't want CI for other purposes than tinnius. Sorry to hear about your hubby.

I tried to embrace the silent.. and learned that if you don't have the right communication, it can be very frustrating.

I can't imagine someone going 10 years of silent without any sign language.

I discovered that HA gives me really bad tinnius. It was so loud,like a really loud feedback, and it wouldn't stop. So I quit wearing it, and it got better. But that's just me.

I have one CI... My Unimplanted ear can use a hearing aid. I was using it for emergency... but all it did was gave me tinnius , plus I wasn't hearing much out of it like I used to in my pre-CI days (I believe I lost more hearing) .

To those that go around without hearing anything, sometime I wonder how they handle certain things. Such as how do they even know if someone is talking to them? Wouldn't that run the risk of running into one of those "Hey, I was talking to you...!". Even before I got my CI, I always made sure to wear my HA's when I went out. Too many sounds to keep tracked of.

There is one group of persons who enjoy "silence"- hermits/Trappist monks- so I understand. Their motivation may be a bit different than what Flip suggests.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

There is one group of persons who enjoy "silence"- hermits/Trappist monks- so I understand. Their motivation may be a bit different than what Flip suggests.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back