How do you like to personalize your living space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend who is almost 40 years old paid me to come to her home and personalize it as she had no idea how to do it. Some people just don't have the knack for it.

My best friend since I was a year old has no skills in that area and whenever I visit her, I cringe at her house. It has so much potential but totally wasted but I say nothing as she has never asked for my advice.

Hey but she DID do it, just badly lol.

Hey but she DID do it, just badly lol.

True...Over 500 pieces of knickknacks all over the house. In my opinion, just too much but if it makes her happy, I just zip it up.

Got a point there.. never really noticed something like that in an apartment- or even here where in the living room the ceiling is....HIGH and my parents put in tiled floors- ceramic I think. Used to be part hardwood and part carpeting. :hmm:

Hmmmmm it might be especially bad for me, I'm profoundly deaf in one ear and deep profound in the other, it's too echoey. I have a hard enough time in a not echoey room lol.

I like hardwood but I wouldn't want it, if your ceilings are high it's doubly bad. Just for acoustics, I hear much better in a room with carpeting and low ceilings. But I still rely on what little hearing I still have. If you're strictly ASL it wouldn't matter.

Mark how can you be 30 years old and not have personalize your space yet?

Maybe he could not afford it before.

I like hardwood but I wouldn't want it, if your ceilings are high it's doubly bad. Just for acoustics, I hear much better in a room with carpeting and low ceilings. But I still rely on what little hearing I still have. If you're strictly ASL it wouldn't matter.

That's easy to answer. You see, if there was more storage space in the basement, I could do so. As it is, space is at a premium, and must be used wisely. Now, I am hoping to clear up some space here where I sleep and do my business, and be able to do something about personalizing my space a little bit.

Maybe he could not afford it before.

It's just hard to imagine he's gone 30 years without acquiring things he likes, either bought by himself or given as gifts. No pictures, no bedspreads/comforters, keepsakes? Nothing?

My 13 and 15 year olds have personalized their space.......

some people live a German lifestyle....

It's just hard to imagine he's gone 30 years without acquiring things he likes, either bought by himself or given as gifts. No pictures, no bedspreads/comforters, keepsakes? Nothing?

Wow. That's harsh. I do buy and I do have stuff I got as gifts that I use. I just do not have a large bedroom to do as I please. Many of my things I'd like to use are in storage, and I don't have room for them here.

My 13 and 15 year olds have personalized their space.......

Maybe he wasn't clear with his original post...I took it as he wanted advice on interior designing but apparently others took it as that he has nothing personalized that he possesses.

Perfect example of how differently people can interpret what others say online

Interesting....:lol:

I just do not have a large bedroom to do as I please. Many of my things I'd like to use are in storage, and I don't have room for them here.

When I was in college I used to live in a dorm with a roommate and this dorm I lived in was only 10 feet by 10 feet. I had to put my bed up high so that I could put my computer desk under the bed. And STILL I managed to find room for some trinkets like a model car and a poster.

I'd like to know what kind of place you're staying at, are you basically living in a shoebox where you can't even get room for a poster?

Maybe he wasn't clear with his original post...I took it as he wanted advice on interior designing but apparently others took it as that he has nothing personalized that he possesses.

I thought I made it clear that I was brainstorming for ideas. I didn't say anything about interior designing or personal possessions. I was just looking for general ideas for what I could add to make my living space more homey, and more welcoming. That's what I wanted. Some of the ideas I've seen so far I like, such as adding a rug or something. I just might do that at the end of this month.

I thought I made it clear that I was brainstorming for ideas. I didn't say anything about interior designing or personal possessions. I was just looking for general ideas for what I could add to make my living space more homey, and more welcoming. That's what I wanted. Some of the ideas I've seen so far I like, such as adding a rug or something. I just might do that at the end of this month.

That's interior designing itself!

When I was in college I used to live in a dorm with a roommate and this dorm I lived in was only 10 feet by 10 feet. I had to put my bed up high so that I could put my computer desk under the bed. And STILL I managed to find room for some trinkets like a model car and a poster.

I'd like to know what kind of place you're staying at, are you basically living in a shoebox where you can't even get room for a poster?

Nope. However, my bedroom is a small bedroom, and I have some stuff in here already, and I am thinking about clearing some of it out to make room for some furniture that I might buy. That would be a good start, and I'll go from there.

Maybe, he said he wanted it to be more homey, like a hotel room can be decorated but that doesn't make it homey. Plus he said he needed to get a couple more pieces of furniture.

So you have stuff but you don't have room for the stuff you have so you want to get more stuff???

I think it was further into the thread that you started sounding like you hadn't personalized your space yet.

Get a plant.

Maybe, he said he wanted it to be more homey, like a hotel room can be decorated but that doesn't make it homey. Plus he said he needed to get a couple more pieces of furniture.

So you have stuff but you don't have room for the stuff you have so you want to get more stuff???

I think it was further into the thread that you started sounding like you hadn't personalized your space yet.

Get a plant.[/
QUOTE]

Trust me..I have like over 10 plants in this house. I think my space is pretty much personalized. I just need to paint my walls a different color to match my couch. :confused:

yes you did. you were abundantly clear.

Get a plant.

or get out if you don't have any useful posts for him. you're becoming a bully. :nono:

Nope. However, my bedroom is a small bedroom, and I have some stuff in here already, and I am thinking about clearing some of it out to make room for some furniture that I might buy. That would be a good start, and I'll go from there.

try to go to ikea and look around at its showcases. I love what they show. gives me a lot of ideas but just don't go overboard with it. simplicity and minimalism are the best (IMO).....

Get a plant.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

That explains why Mark was so pissed about getting that fake quarter.

Trust me..I have like over 10 plants in this house. I think my space is pretty much personalized. I just need to paint my walls a different color to match my couch. :confused:

It's like he asked two different questions. You can personalize a space but that doesn't make it homey. Some people have really weird tastes, their personal stamp might be all over the place but it might not be homey, like your friend :D

Paint and plants, are great for making a place more inviting. White is harsh, and not welcoming at all. I like accent walls :) I kill plants, I like them, but I kill them. They have to be replaced every now and then. I'm nursing my dessert rose back to health. I think it's going to make it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back