How do you like to personalize your living space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were a few ideas on that thread that would have been safe for a bad back :)
But anyway, good luck with the room decor!

Oh, I know. Problem is, I don't have the funding necessary to get what I'd like to have. If I had a job working with computers, I could certainly afford it, because computer jobs pay well.

Life is a problem isn't it?

I have my good days and bad days. However, this morning isn't starting off how I'd like, but since some members are starting to get tired of my complaining, I'll find somewhere else to complain. From now on, just focus on positive stuff. No more bitching here.

you don't need to be an 'expert' with art or anything. Just pick prints that you like and frame them. Or hang pictures of family & friends. You can even hang unusual things like a quilt or blanket with an unusual pattern on it. It sounds like you rent so painting the walls may be out of the question - ask though. I never bother to paint the walls- just seems like a pain in the ass as I'd have to re-paint it anyway when moving out lol.

Knick knacks- lots of Cardinals stuff that way too. One of my friend's mother decorated one of her bathrooms in Seattle Mariners stuff- totally decked out. I'm pretty sure the other bathroom is Seahawks ;)

If there's an IKEA near you (I don't recall if there is one in Chicago or near), they have fairly cheap furniture.

I'm no interior decorator- I suck with that part completely but those are ideas I've heard over the years.

One teeny tiny problem.... I'm not an expert on how to handle artwork. I don't even know how to handle it the proper way. That's okay, though-- I'll stick to staff I can handle-- like wood and fabrics (And metal for bicycles)
One tip on hanging artwork--don't hang it too high. Keep it at eye level.

Another tip--make groups of small pieces--don't scatter it around.

One more tip--leave some blank wall areas to allow the eyes to rest between displays.

Don't add anything that you're not willing to dust.

when I lived in apt myself last year.... it was very simple and cozy. my bedroom was nearly spartan - a desk... bed... 2 bookcases... 1 small drawer.... that's it! no poster, no pix, nothing.

that's why I was able to clean/dust my entire bedroom in just 5 minutes with a swiffer. my entire apt is a hardwood floor. the way I decorated my apt... it felt very zen and simple. I had lot of closets. only one closet was enough to hold all of my clothes and rest were for both supplies and my gears. I really love that apt. I hope to find another apt just like that.

all of my furnitures have legs so I was able to clean entire floor with a swiffer. I should have gotten a Roomba but then... the cost alone didn't justify it since I was able to sweep the whole place in less than 15 minutes and disinfecting my bathroom in just 15 minutes. that's how efficient and simple my apt was :)

Goodwill is a good source for non-upholstered furniture such as desks and tables. If you want to customize the pieces, paint them and change the hardware. I'm the queen of repurposing furniture, and that works well. :)

A distinctive headboard for your bed can give character to your room.

Lighting is important. Have enough of the right kinds (general, mood, task, etc.).

What kind things interest you, if you like moves you could buy a poster of your favorite movie ,if you're a spot fan , then one of favorite team or player. If you have an indoor flea market that is great place to find all kind of interesting things. How about a nice poster of hands going ASL signs?

get a wall-sized photo of a beach in the carribean and a pair of fake palm trees and install a hammock....thats personalising your room!!

get a wall-sized photo of a beach in the carribean and a pair of fake palm trees and install a hammock....thats personalising your room!!

I guess you might as well put some sand on the floor too. I would rather have a nice wall mural . I have a nice landscape painting my brother in law painted and he gave it me.
It can be a lot of fun personalizing your house or apartment . I painted one of my apartment orange walls and yellow trimming . I bet the landlord was not too happy about that.

What I don't understand is why would you want to get advice about personalize your living space?

You could have asked your friend or your close friend to help you decide what you want to decorate your room, not online internet. You don't need to depend us for all of your personal questions on things that are personal to you. You are expecting us to make decisions for you. If you don't have friends beside your housemates, then you need to find out why you are having problem meeting people who could have been your friends if you need help in the real world. It sound like you are not growing up at all. Still a child asking for what to do with your life. You have to make your own decision on what to do with your life and your apartment (house). You have to do it yourself. Be independent.

Beside, I noticed you were not talking about d/Deaf issues on your posts much. Lots of time it is about you only. Geeze. :(

I like to spread my clothes around so that way I have quick access to them :D

What I don't understand is why would you want to get advice about personalize your living space?

You could have asked your friend or your close friend to help you decide what you want to decorate your room, not online internet. You don't need to depend us for all of your personal questions on things that are personal to you. You are expecting us to make decisions for you. If you don't have friends beside your housemates, then you need to find out why you are having problem meeting people who could have been your friends if you need help in the real world. It sound like you are not growing up at all. Still a child asking for what to do with your life. You have to make your own decision on what to do with your life and your apartment (house). You have to do it yourself. Be independent.

Beside, I noticed you were not talking about d/Deaf issues on your posts much. Lots of time it is about you only. Geeze. :(

There's a reason for that. You see, I grew up in Southern IL without a lot of Deaf/HoH people to grow up with, and I'll be honest-- I'm still getting used to having a bunch of deaf people reading everything I say, and once I am fully used to it, then I'll be more open. Until then, I'll reserve my true feelings until I am more comfortable. I hope that's okay with you. I have my opinions, but I'm not ready to say what they are yet.

Would be even better with a pet hermit crab! As long as he doesn't get stepped on lol.

Did you know there's a website that actually does sell them? I considered getting one, but decided against it, with how busy I was.

Buy a bedspread and maybe an area rug featuring your favorite sports team or something you really like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back