How do you feel about Immigrants?

Reba said:
Illegal aliens don't have health insurance. When they get sick or hurt, they go to hospital emergency rooms. Emergency rooms can't refuse to help them. The illegal aliens don't pay for the medical services. The hospitals increase the medical costs for everyone else to pay for the illegal aliens' debt. Then, people who DO have medical insurance pay higher premiums, deductibles, and co-pays.

So, if the illegal aliens don't pay the hospital, the hospital gets the money from YOU and ME!

You said it better.

*hides head in sand*

I am an immigrant :wave:

many of u, ur great grandparents were immigrants too, first 13 colonies they most were from Europe and more like Vietnam then u guys were born in USA like my daughters were born in USA

and great grandparents of my girls's father were from Italy then gave a birth of his grandmother in USA, then his mother in USA now he is in USA but still want to visit in Italy someday

we all came here legally, some not I am just neutral, I know long term relationship deaf illegal immigrant and are working here they're hard working I may see and they have hard to get approved staying here dunno why his family lives here wouldnt help him :aw: recently they have a baby boy they still are working their older daughter is babysitter of her brother if she is going to school baby is with paid babysitter :shock: :aw:

also not only here in USA they do refuge in France, Germany and others in Europe, and Australia as well

Jesus moved across borders to do his works, and sent out his disciples in the same way. That makes him an immigrant.

Whenever I hear the anti-immigrant rhetoric, I turn again, and again to the Book of Ruth. Ruth was an immigrant. If we never had Ruth and Boaz - well, there wouldn't have been a Jesus.

People who can leave everything they know and make it in a new land have earned my highest respect. I know I couldn't do it.

Maybe we are prejudice... because most of those immigrants are Mexicans.

I don't understand what is wrong with having Mexicans here... they seem cool to me and they create jobs here in Mississippi, wow.

me_punctured said:
Can I put in my two cents?

Are you talking about U.S. Medicare? This health program is exclusively for the elderly (aged 65 and over) and disabled population. And then there's U.S. Medicaid, not to be confused with Medicare, that provides "poor people" (low-income people) health insurance. Who qualifies for Medicaid tend to be low-income individuals and families, seniors, and disabled people, especially if they are U.S. citizens or "lawfully admitted" (as in legal and documented) immigrants.

Now, let's tackle the issue of health care for illegal, or undocumented (because they lack the official papers that authorize their residence) immigrants. To the best of my knowledge, they, for the large part, do not receive federal and state-funded health care. However, they can receive free emergency health care under the Federal Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA). This controversial act is not limited to undocumented immigrants but as well as low-income U.S. citizens too. Children who are born to undocumented immigrants in the U.S. automatically obtain citizenship and can even receive free health care. I do not know if undocumented immigrant mothers can qualify for free prenatal care, though.

The costs from providing undocumented immigrants health care are undeniably staggering. From a conservative economist's perpsective, those same costs may have resulted in many hospital bankruptices. Why? No one is picking up the tab. The U.S. government, in theory, should foot the bill, but it is not.

It may seem that fencing the borders to keep the undocumented immigrants out of "our" country may have positive economic consequences, but the reality is, they are the victims of this tangled mess of medical care costs. How? Simple. It is the U.S. policy that criminalizes them for allegedly draining our economy. If we could lift the restrictions of immigration and grant more undocumented immigrants, especially laborers, citizenship, we no longer may be obliged to provide them emergency medical care.

Federal laws require all employers to hire people who are documented to work here. There are severe consequences for those who do not follow this rule. Unfortunately not everyone, including Wal-Mart and certain big-name politicians, follows this rule, and worse, the system abides this.

Many immigrants who came to the U.S. in the past did not always require governmental assistance and social support services. You have to take the difference between the 1906 U.S. economy in 1906 and the 2006 one in terms of expenditures into serious consideration. You also have to take the demographic waves of immigration and the compelling forces behind this phenomenon into consideration.

And lastly, but not at least, unless you fall in the category of the top percentage of U.S. taxpayers, very little of your money is being spent to provide undocumented immigrants health care.

I do not mean to trivialize your health care situation. Health care should be a universal right, but it is actually a privilege. The entire system is a pain in the derriere, especially in the glorious state of California! It is very difficult to come up with a solution that will solve all the problems and at the same time enable us equal health care without staggering financial consequences.

I know I confuse many people here, I am not talking about medicare here. I am talking about illegal aliens who take advantage of our medical care for free while many people who does not have health insurance have to pay if they went to er rooms. ER rooms are very expensive and illegal aliens does not have money to pay them. So who pay them? Us.

jazzy said:
I know I confuse many people here, I am not talking about medicare here. I am talking about illegal aliens who take advantage of our medical care for free while many people who does not have health insurance have to pay if they went to er rooms. ER rooms are very expensive and illegal aliens does not have money to pay them. So who pay them? Us.

ALL people without medical insurance, whether immigrant or natural born, get pretty much the same care at any hospital. If you are a citizen or a legal immigrant, it's easier to track you down to pay the bills, but many, many, many never pay the exorbitant bills anyway. Catholic Charities operates a program called MSI to help offset the impact on their hospitals.

As one of the most prosperous nations in the history of the world, I wonder why it is we can't make sure everyone has access to adequate medical care?

The*Empress said:
Maybe we are prejudice... because most of those immigrants are Mexicans.

I don't understand what is wrong with having Mexicans here... they seem cool to me and they create jobs here in Mississippi, wow.

I do not have problems with them as long as they follow our laws.

Supposedly, u drive your car on the road one day, out of nowhere illegal alien drove and hit u. U found out he/she do not have insurance and not carry drive license. U stuck with damaged car, u pay urself and u can not sue them for damaged. U can not do anything about it since they are not exist here in our country.

They create jobs in Mississippi? Alike what?

I knew many young boys and girls who need job but they can not find it. Most jobs were give to illegal aliens because many business owners does not want to pay the higer wages, taxes, health insurance and workcomp. So if illegal aliens got hurt at the job, too bad for them. Have seen too many of them break their back and keep doing it to surivive. Dirty and crook business owners we have this day.

MorriganTait said:
ALL people without medical insurance, whether immigrant or natural born, get pretty much the same care at any hospital. If you are a citizen or a legal immigrant, it's easier to track you down to pay the bills, but many, many, many never pay the exorbitant bills anyway. Catholic Charities operates a program called MSI to help offset the impact on their hospitals.

As one of the most prosperous nations in the history of the world, I wonder why it is we can't make sure everyone has access to adequate medical care?

Of course, we have to pay them even we don't have medical insurance. Unless ur owe them one million dollar, ur stuck with bill for rest of your life. Otherwise hospitals goes out of business.

I agree everyone should have access to medical care but unfortunely it does not work this way.

jazzy said:
I agree everyone should have access to medical care but unfortunely it does not work this way.
It could work this way - we just keep letting our politicians talk us out of it.

MorriganTait said:
It could work this way - we just keep letting our politicians talk us out of it.

We tried once and failed. sigh not everyone agree with this so it will be long time before everyone get same treatment.

MorriganTait said:

:gpost: I agree....

What ticks me off is when illegal immigrants whine, "They treat me like criminals, I am not a criminal!" Well, they are CRIMINALS for being illegal! Duh!

jazzy said:
I do not have problems with them as long as they follow our laws. ...
That's the problem; they DON'T follow our laws. The number one law that they break is the law for entering our country the legal way.

Sigh...... Reba, you're talking about illegal immigrants like they are sociopaths or murderers. Most of them come from dirt poor countries, where it is VERY VERY difficult to go through the proper channels to get money to come here!

Oh,and history is DEINFITLY repeating itself! I remmy this debate from back in the early '90's!

deafdyke said:
Sigh...... Reba, you're talking about illegal immigrants like they are sociopaths or murderers.
You mean like this one?

Prosecutor describes housewife's rape, killing in grisly detail

By JIM FITZGERALD
Associated Press Writer

March 23, 2006, 3:39 PM EST

NEW CITY, N.Y. -- A prosecutor described in nightmarish detail Thursday the rape, mutilation and killing of a suburban housewife, allegedly at the hands of a worker who was supposed to be power-washing her deck.

The assault on 42-year-old Mary Nagle was so brutal that crime-scene investigators found a piece of her ear and hanks of her hair scattered around her bedroom, Rockland County District Attorney Michael Bongiorno said at the start of the defendant's trial. One of the victim's fingers was nearly amputated as she tried to fend off her attacker.

The April 29 killing, in a quiet, manicured neighborhood of New City, exposed the danger of a common situation in the suburbs _ the husband at work, the kids at school, the housewife home alone and a contractor on the scene, often with access to the house.

Bongiorno said Nagle was in her bedroom, changing into tennis clothes, when the attacker sneaked in with his knife, "tearing her clothes off, beating her mercilessly, slashing her with the razor."

"Mary Nagle put up a courageous struggle, but she was no match," he said. The attack culminated Nagle being strangled so hard that it broke a bone in her neck, he said.

Among Nagle's relatives and friends in the courtroom gallery Thursday, some wept as Bongiorno presented his opening statement. Her husband Dan, who was not permitted inside because he is to be a witness, said afterward, "It's a difficult time and it will always be a difficult time." He said the couple's children, a first-grade girl and a fourth-grade boy, "are doing good." His feelings about the defendant, he said, were "unmentionable."

Ronald Douglas Herrera Castellanos, 30, is charged with 15 counts of first- and second-degree murder, most of them based on the allegation that he killed Nagle while committing other felonies including rape, robbery and burglary. He is also charged with those crimes separately. If convicted of first-degree murder, he would face life in prison with no chance of parole.

His attorney, Barry Weiss, decided not to make an opening statement for the defense. Outside the courtroom, he said, "We will test all the claims made by the people." He said he has not decided whether Herrera, an immigrant from Guatemala whose visa expired in 2001, will testify.

Diane Vandel of Hopewell Junction, a friend of Nagle's sister, said before the court session, "Everybody I know has changed the way they do things because we feel so vulnerable now. I just had two men deliver appliances and I made sure someone was home with me."

As Bongiorno addressed the jury, Herrera, in a brown suit, listened to a Spanish translation. When the district attorney pointed to him on occasion, Herrera looked directly at him.

The prosecutor alleged that Herrera took off his bloodied shirt and pants and put on fresh clothes that belonged to Dan Nagle. He also tried to wash off blood in the bathroom, he said. And as he fled, he passed Mary Nagle's sister Ann Fallon, who had come looking for her because of the missed tennis date.

Fallon saw blood outside the bedroom and called police, who found "a scene out of a horror movie," the district attorney said. The Clarkstown police force, which covers New City, searched the area and Herrera was spotted a mile away from a police helicopter. He was arrested and charged with murder, and within a few days police found his discarded original clothes and Nagle's cell phone and wallet, which Herrera allegedly stole.

As he was fleeing, police said, Herrera made several calls to numbers programmed into Nagle's phone, lewdly describing what he had done. Bongiorno said Thursday that the calls were made specifically to female friends and relatives.

The district attorney said investigators had a trove of DNA evidence to work with. Nagle's blood was found on all the clothes Herrera wore, he said. Herrera also left behind his own blood, from cuts on his hand, arms and neck, as well as his semen, he said. And Herrera and Nagle had each other's DNA under their fingernails, he said.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/w...,7686321,print.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork

deafdyke said:
... Most of them come from dirt poor countries, where it is VERY VERY difficult to go through the proper channels to get money to come here!
If they can come up with the money to pay coyotes to smuggle them in, they can afford to go thru legal channels to come into the country.

"According to Border Patrol spokesperson Rob Daniels, 'Ten Egyptians were arrested recently near Douglas, Arizona. Each had paid $7,000 to be brought from Guatemala into Mexico and then across the border.'"
http://www.warriorsfortruth.com/borderillegals.html

Reba, from reading that story about the Prosecutor describing housewife's rape, killing in grisly detail

I have to say one thing to housewives.

Hire White American contract workers then none of this would happen !!!!

Illegal aliens need to be deported, jailed and who knows what crimes they have commited already.

If they want to work here then apply for the paperwork and money to be a legal immigrant to the USA.

Anotherwise stay out of the USA because illegal aliens have no business being in the USA at all. They broke the first law that was breaking and entering into the USA then commit a long list of crimes. We do not need losers like you who are illegal aliens !!!!

Reba, that is ONE example!!!! ONE! Not counting drug related incidents , violent extreme offenses committed by illegal aliens is pretty rare.
Also, it would be nice if people could go through the channels to legally immigrate here, but there is something called government corruption AND prejudice. (ie the privilaged few get the privilage of migraiting here)

Back