How do you feel about Immigrants?

The*Empress

Reaction score
Those immigrants could have long long rap sheet of crimes they did... and they can come in USA and get new Social Security Numbers...
and get our jobs...

That isn't fair to USA citizens, ex convicts have to do background check in order to get jobs.... :(

Immigration March Draws 500,000 in L.A. By PETER PRENGAMAN, Associated Press Writer
8 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Immigration rights advocates more than 500,000 strong marched in downtown Los Angeles on Saturday, demanding that Congress abandon attempts to make illegal immigration a felony and to build more walls along the border.

The massive demonstration, by far the biggest of several around the nation in recent days, came as President Bush prodded Republican congressional leaders to give some illegal immigrants a chance to work legally in the U.S. under certain conditions.

Wearing white shirts to symbolize peace, marchers chanted "Mexico!" "USA!" and "Si se puede," an old Mexican-American civil rights shout that means "Yes, we can." They waved the flags of the U.S., Mexico and other countries, and some wore them as capes.

Saturday's march was among the largest for any cause in recent U.S. history. Police came up with the crowd estimate using aerial photographs and other techniques, police Cmdr. Louis Gray Jr. said.

Other demonstrations drew 50,000 people in Denver and several thousand in Sacramento and Charlotte, N.C.

Many protesters said lawmakers were unfairly targeting immigrants who provide a major labor pool for America's economy.

"Enough is enough of the xenophobic movement," said Norman Martinez, 63, who immigrated from Honduras as a child and marched in Los Angeles. "They are picking on the weakest link in society, which has built this country."

The U.S. House of Representatives has passed legislation that would make it a felony to be in the U.S. illegally, impose new penalties on employers who hire illegal immigrants, require churches to check the legal status of people they help, and erect fences along one-third of the U.S.-Mexican border.

Elger Aloy, 26, of Riverside, a premed student, pushed a stroller with his 8-month-old son at Saturday's Los Angeles march and called the legislation "inhumane."

"Everybody deserves the right to a better life," he said.

The Senate is to begin debating the proposals on Tuesday.

President Bush on Saturday called for legislation that does not force America to choose between being a welcoming society and a lawful one.

"America is a nation of immigrants, and we're also a nation of laws," Bush said in his weekly radio address, discussing an issue that had driven a wedge into his own party.

Bush sides with business leaders who want legislation to let some of the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants stay in the country and work for a set period of time. Others, including Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, say national security concerns should drive immigration reform.

"They say we are criminals. We are not criminals," said Salvador Hernandez, 43, of Los Angeles, a resident alien who came to the United States illegally from El Salvador 14 years ago and worked as truck driver, painter and day laborer.

Francisco Flores, 27, a wood flooring installer from Santa Clarita who is a former illegal immigrant, said, "We want to work legally, so we can pay our taxes and support the country, our country."

In Denver, police said more than 50,000 people gathered downtown at Civic Center Park next to the Capitol to urge the state Senate to reject a resolution supporting a ballot issue that would deny many government services to illegal immigrants in Colorado.

Elsa Rodriguez, 30, a trained pilot who came to Colorado in 1999 from Mexico to look for work, said she just wants to be considered equal.

"We're like the ancestors who started this country, they came from other countries without documents, too," the Arvada resident. "They call us lazy and dirty, but we just want to come to work. If you see, we have families, too."

Between 5,000 and 7,000 people gathered Saturday in Charlotte, carrying signs with slogans such as "Am I Not a Human Being?" In Sacramento, more than 4,000 people protested immigration legislation at an annual march honoring the late farm labor leader Cesar Chavez.

About 200 people protested outside a town hall-style meeting held by Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., a leading sponsor of the House bill. He defended the legislation, saying he's trying to stop people from exploiting illegal immigrants for cheap labor, drug trafficking and prostitution.

"Those who do that are 21st-century slave masters, just like the 19th-century slave masters that we fought a civil war to get rid of," Sensenbrenner said at the meeting. "Unless we do something about illegal immigration, we're consigning illegal immigrants to be a permanent underclass, and I don't think that's moral."

Since Thursday tens of thousands of people have joined in rallies in cities including Milwaukee, Los Angeles, Phoenix and Atlanta, and staged school walkouts, marches and work stoppages.

The demonstrations are expected to culminate April 10 in a "National Day of Action" organized by labor, immigration, civil rights and religious groups.

:type:

aint' care..

Immgiration are cool people depends people who ain't cool
Race are fine w/me..

What wrong w/you ? Are you feel not comfortable Racist as their skin race?
You hate white people..???

How do I feel about immigrants?

Well, I would much prefer that they come over here the right way, as in, follow our country's immigration procedure and laws.

I have a lot of respect for those who do that (even when it may be the less convenient thing to do). I admire the work ethic I tend to see in those who come here legally. The ones I've known closely are neat people. :)

I know a few of them and they're really nice people....

I agree with this>>> "Everybody deserves the right to a better life," ....

Most of them came to America for a reason, to have a better life....

A lot of the migrant workers are here due to their employers not following federal laws, so it is not the fault of them. However, I will say that the jobs they are "supposedly stealing" are jobs that no citizen of the U.S. would do, as we feel we're above that kind of labor. This attitude has to stop, which is why the U.S. is so hated in the world today.

I love immigrants. Also, my wife will be an immigrant.

Immigrants are fine as we are a nation of immigrants, illegal immigrants are a NO-NO; they need to go back and do it right as we are also a nation of laws.

Tousi said:
Immigrants are fine as we are a nation of immigrants, illegal immigrants are a NO-NO; they need to go back and do it right as we are also a nation of laws.

Yeah. We all need to stand by laws to control. It's rather overdue. It's absolutley necessary to increase our national security.

Don't forget about these terrorists could cross in acting like illegal immigrants that can do a lot of damage here in the U.S.

Tousi said:

I agree with Tousi here. :) USA is a "melting pot" which means immigrants coming here since centuries ago...my great-grandfather from Nassau, Bahamas was one of them....Nassau was a British colony back then and he was full-blooded English (he's white)....I guess he came to America to start a new life and that's how he met my great-grandma. :) But after he had his naturalization papers, he had a job and worked there for years....and became a good citizen here.
My point about him is that legal immigrants are fine here since the majority will keep the law here and were sworn in to be American citizens, but illegal immigrants are not ok....they need to go back where they come from.

Immigration isn't a problem. Everyone in this thread that lives in the US should remember that unless they are a pure-blood Native American, they too were once an immigrant in this country, or their ancestors were.

We must treat legal immigrants fairly and with respect. Otherwise, we're just hypocrites, as we are all immigrants to the US in a way. Illegal immigrants need to be deported when discovered, however. We need to crackdown on illegal immigration.

So it becomes very important--Is the immigrant here legally or illegally?

I have no beef with immigrants except that I have to pay sky high medical insurance to cover those who have no insurance.

Riptide said:
I have no beef with immigrants except that I have to pay sky high medical insurance to cover those who have no insurance.

Really? I didn't know that, I have insurance myself too and I don't see the highest cost to cover others who do not have insurance...

How do you really know that, I'm curious....

I do have problem with illegal ones, for one we are suffering because of them. They take over our school systems, hospitals, roads, housing, prison systems, etc... We spend $$$$$ on them instead of ourselves. Many of jobs are already take away from us esp young people today.

It is overburdening right now, too many people trying to get in here.

^Angel^ said:
Really? I didn't know that, I have insurance myself too and I don't see the highest cost to cover others who do not have insurance...

How do you really know that, I'm curious....

Very expensive. u have not taste reality here yet as we have. My husband and my son does not have health insurance. We cant afford to buy private health insurance right now. poor people get medical, we do not. Illegal aliens get help with health issues, they don't pay because they are poor so who cover thier bills, that is us.

I don't support the criminalization of illegal immigrants. Quite many of them contribute to the livelihood of the U.S. society by taking up labor no one else will be willing to do. When one has to seek out labor to support oneself and one's family, because of systematic and global political and socio-economic factors that affect millions of lives south of the U.S. border, one will do in order to survive. Also, many illegal immigrants come to the U.S. against their will at the force of an exploitative system and find themselves in an ugly bind which they may not know how to resolve.

me_punctured <--- a U.S.-born child of immigrants

jazzy said:
Very expensive. u have not taste reality here yet as we have. My husband and my son does not have health insurance. We cant afford to buy private health insurance right now. poor people get medical, we do not. Illegal aliens get help with health issues, they don't pay because they are poor so who cover thier bills, that is us.

What do you mean by " not taste reality here yet as we have? "

I don't see myself paying for their medical bills even I have health insurance, I pay my own health insurance and my own medical bills whatever I owe left after insurance pays whatever covers....

Again I ask where does it say that we pay highest medical fee for those who don't have insurance?....

Forgive me for going off-topic here ....

^Angel^ said:

I don't see myself paying for their medical bills even I have health insurance, I pay my own health insurance and my own medical bills whatever I owe left after insurance pays whatever covers....

Again I ask where does it say that we pay highest medical fee for those who don't have insurance?....

Forgive me for going off-topic here ....

Of course u don't live in the states where they have border connect with alike us do. U don't have taste of reality here as I do yet, your still young and healthy. That is truly bless. U have health insurance great, unfortunely not many of us can afford it. If it was not for medicare, I would not be able to afford to buy health insurance thru private ( possible they deny me) because of my preexisting health problems.

In state of Calif pay hopsitals bills for those people who are illegal aliens, they get help from state but truthful real people who live here as legal/or us citizens have to pay hospital bills whether we have health insurance or not. Calif does not help us but help them. That is a biggest problems we have right now here in Calif.

^Angel^ said:

Illegal aliens don't have health insurance. When they get sick or hurt, they go to hospital emergency rooms. Emergency rooms can't refuse to help them. The illegal aliens don't pay for the medical services. The hospitals increase the medical costs for everyone else to pay for the illegal aliens' debt. Then, people who DO have medical insurance pay higher premiums, deductibles, and co-pays.

So, if the illegal aliens don't pay the hospital, the hospital gets the money from YOU and ME!

Reba said:
Illegal aliens don't have health insurance. When they get sick or hurt, they go to hospital emergency rooms. Emergency rooms can't refuse to help them. The illegal aliens don't pay for the medical services. The hospitals increase the medical costs for everyone else to pay for the illegal aliens' debt. Then, people who DO have medical insurance pay higher premiums, deductibles, and co-pays.

So, if the illegal aliens don't pay the hospital, the hospital gets the money from YOU and ME!

Ahh, Thank you for explaining it more clearly, I got it now! :thumb:

jazzy said:

Can I put in my two cents?

Are you talking about U.S. Medicare? This health program is exclusively for the elderly (aged 65 and over) and disabled population. And then there's U.S. Medicaid, not to be confused with Medicare, that provides "poor people" (low-income people) health insurance. Who qualifies for Medicaid tend to be low-income individuals and families, seniors, and disabled people, especially if they are U.S. citizens or "lawfully admitted" (as in legal and documented) immigrants.

Now, let's tackle the issue of health care for illegal, or undocumented (because they lack the official papers that authorize their residence) immigrants. To the best of my knowledge, they, for the large part, do not receive federal and state-funded health care. However, they can receive free emergency health care under the Federal Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA). This controversial act is not limited to undocumented immigrants but as well as low-income U.S. citizens too. Children who are born to undocumented immigrants in the U.S. automatically obtain citizenship and can even receive free health care. I do not know if undocumented immigrant mothers can qualify for free prenatal care, though.

The costs from providing undocumented immigrants health care are undeniably staggering. From a conservative economist's perpsective, those same costs may have resulted in many hospital bankruptices. Why? No one is picking up the tab. The U.S. government, in theory, should foot the bill, but it is not.

It may seem that fencing the borders to keep the undocumented immigrants out of "our" country may have positive economic consequences, but the reality is, they are the victims of this tangled mess of medical care costs. How? Simple. It is the U.S. policy that criminalizes them for allegedly draining our economy. If we could lift the restrictions of immigration and grant more undocumented immigrants, especially laborers, citizenship, we no longer may be obliged to provide them emergency medical care.

Federal laws require all employers to hire people who are documented to work here. There are severe consequences for those who do not follow this rule. Unfortunately not everyone, including Wal-Mart and certain big-name politicians, follows this rule, and worse, the system abides this.

Many immigrants who came to the U.S. in the past did not always require governmental assistance and social support services. You have to take the difference between the 1906 U.S. economy in 1906 and the 2006 one in terms of expenditures into serious consideration. You also have to take the demographic waves of immigration and the compelling forces behind this phenomenon into consideration.

And lastly, but not at least, unless you fall in the category of the top percentage of U.S. taxpayers, very little of your money is being spent to provide undocumented immigrants health care.

I do not mean to trivialize your health care situation. Health care should be a universal right, but it is actually a privilege. The entire system is a pain in the derriere, especially in the glorious state of California! It is very difficult to come up with a solution that will solve all the problems and at the same time enable us equal health care without staggering financial consequences.

Back