HDTV Captioning: What You Should Know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool! I bought new DVD Player, great 1080i with cc work

Ok, Does work with CC on 720p or 1080p, if your hdtv support 1080p?

I must take progessive, such as 480p, 720p or 1080p.

What's your brand name and model number for DVD player? I know that your HDTV is Sony.

Pacman, remember I told you on AIM that I did watch DVD movie by using component cable and it does have CC. And you said its impossible. I promised you that when I go back to nj and find out right? Tomorrow I go back to nj and find out. I will do anything in my power to find out why yours do not work.

My HDTV monitor is Dell 24inch ultrasharp widescreen LCD flat panel (model is 2407). It supports up to 1080i

For HDMI, I haven't tested it yet.

Pacman, now it got me thinking that all DVD movies do not have support 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. Also it doesn't support digital CC format. Only HD-DVD and Blu-ray do. Of course It has nothing do with any DVD players or HDTVs.

Pacman, remember I told you on AIM that I did watch DVD movie by using component cable and it does have CC. And you said its impossible. I promised you that when I go back to nj and find out right? Tomorrow I go back to nj and find out. I will do anything in my power to find out why yours do not work.

My HDTV monitor is Dell 24inch ultrasharp widescreen LCD flat panel (model is 2407). It supports up to 1080i

For HDMI, I haven't tested it yet.

Pacman, now it got me thinking that all DVD movies do not have support 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. Also it doesn't support digital CC format. Only HD-DVD and Blu-ray do. Of course It has nothing do with any DVD players or HDTVs.

You just need tell to RHR, not me.

I have hard time to believe about his post.

I said not all HDTV can support CC source via component input, such as me, PowerOn and Sequioas.

Uderstand between EIA-608 Vs. EIA-708

Hi Guys,

I read about EIA-608 and EIA-708

My HDTV Sony KDL-V2500 both EIA-608 and EIA-708, that some work i480 and not that why I found some I have both EIA-608 and EIA-708, some EIA-608 only or EIA-708 only not work i480 CC

you learn go search "EIA-608 EIA-708" many it

EIA-608 mean only CC1, CC2, CC3.... and TEXT1, TEXT2...etc.., it is line 21

EIA-708 mean size, style, color etc..

NCAM/Implementing DTV Closed Captions and Video Description

if HDTV's EIA-608, will work DVD Player with CC i480
if HDTV's EIA-708, will not work DVD Player with CC i480

some Viewsonic, Phillip, between
1) both EIA-608 and EIA-708
2) EIA-608 Only
3) EIA-708 Only

Sony is EIA-608 for DVD, DVR, etc.. and ASTC for EIA-708

Hi Guys,

I read about EIA-608 and EIA-708

My HDTV Sony KDL-V2500 both EIA-608 and EIA-708, that some work i480 and not that why I found some I have both EIA-608 and EIA-708, some EIA-608 only or EIA-708 only not work i480 CC

you learn go search "EIA-608 EIA-708" many it

EIA-608 mean only CC1, CC2, CC3.... and TEXT1, TEXT2...etc.., it is line 21

EIA-708 mean size, style, color etc..

NCAM/Implementing DTV Closed Captions and Video Description

if HDTV's EIA-608, will work DVD Player with CC i480
if HDTV's EIA-708, will not work DVD Player with CC i480

some Viewsonic, Phillip, between
1) both EIA-608 and EIA-708
2) EIA-608 Only
3) EIA-708 Only

Sony is EIA-608 for DVD, DVR, etc.. and ASTC for EIA-708

Are you big fan of 480i?

480i is old tech then time for you move in new HD era, or I will fix your HDTV to rid of 480i support.

BANJO! reply to my PM! its been over a month yo!!!!!!

Let you guys all know that I bought a 60 inch Sony widescreen HDTV and I use three component cables for WII, 360, and HD digital cable. Guess what I watch a DVD movie with CC on 360 or watch any tv shows on HD digital cable and it finally works. I have to thank to RHR.

Xtreme Deaf Gamers -> Yesterday, I bought a 60 inch Sony HDTV

Have you tried using HDMI or DVI cables? Try using them with WII (if WII supports DVI/HDMI) or HD digital cable. If you are using cable box to watch HD digital cable, there should be either DVI or HDMI connector at the back of cable box and still be able to watch CC. You will have to enable CC inside cable box (via menu setup screen), not the TV to watch CC from digital (or HD) programs.

For DVD movies, keep using component cables with progressive scan mode disabled.

I have learned that not all TVs support CC using component cables even with progressive scan disabled. Research thoroughly before buying new TVs. Take a look at an example: Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc. - LT-52244. Click on "Owner's Guide" link at bottom of page and see page 41 of Owner's Guide. It states: "Closed caption signals are not available through HDMI or component jacks."

CC not available through HDMI jacks?!?!?!?!? So if you connect HDMI cable between digital cable box and TV, you may not see CC. I find it hard to believe. I think the manual is referring to certain devices like DVD player because CC from DVD players is always analog and HDMI jacks only accept digital signals. I believe digital CC will still be seen using HDMI jack with digital cable box, but TEST IT FIRST before buying new TV or susbcribing HD cable.

Personally, I think digital signals all the way is better than analog signals.

Peter

Very informative Banjo. Not only a good read for those wanting to understand CC but also a good lesson in HDTV. One thing I want to mention is that there are efforts to get CC avaliable on HDTV's. It's called DTVCC.

What is DTVCC?

Source;Digital Television Closed-Captioning (DTVCC) Home Page

Digital Television Closed Captioning (DTVCC) (formerly known as Advanced Television Closed Captioning (ATVCC)) is the migration of the closed-captioning concepts and capabilities developed in the 1970's for NTSC television video signals to the high-definition television environment defined by the ATV Grand Alliance and standardized by the ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee). This new environment provides for larger screens, higher screen resolutions, enhanced closed captions, and higher transmission data rates for closed-captioning. The DTVCC specification is defined in the Electronic Industries Association publication EIA-708.

Have you tried using HDMI or DVI cables? Try using them with WII (if WII supports DVI/HDMI) or HD digital cable. If you are using cable box to watch HD digital cable, there should be either DVI or HDMI connector at the back of cable box and still be able to watch CC. You will have to enable CC inside cable box (via menu setup screen), not the TV to watch CC from digital (or HD) programs.

For DVD movies, keep using component cables with progressive scan mode disabled.

I have learned that not all TVs support CC using component cables even with progressive scan disabled. Research thoroughly before buying new TVs. Take a look at an example: Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc. - LT-52244. Click on "Owner's Guide" link at bottom of page and see page 41 of Owner's Guide. It states: "Closed caption signals are not available through HDMI or component jacks."

CC not available through HDMI jacks?!?!?!?!? So if you connect HDMI cable between digital cable box and TV, you may not see CC. I find it hard to believe. I think the manual is referring to certain devices like DVD player because CC from DVD players is always analog and HDMI jacks only accept digital signals. I believe digital CC will still be seen using HDMI jack with digital cable box, but TEST IT FIRST before buying new TV or susbcribing HD cable.

Personally, I think digital signals all the way is better than analog signals.

Peter

Wii don't support digital source, only analog and maximum at 480p, unlike Xbox 360 and PS3.
Wii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wii offers composite, component, S-video and D-terminal (only in Japan).

DVI isn't digital only, there's DVI-A, that formatted in analog.

Turn off the progressive mode in your DVD player.

have you read my pm???

i already explained everything to ya..please read the recent one!

i'm not stupid or dumb when it comes to this. i just need more clarification on what to do?

dont just tell me to turn off progressive player when i already did that trick and followed your blog and every threads on here.

read my pm????

thannxx

have you read my pm???

i already explained everything to ya..please read the recent one!

i'm not stupid or dumb when it comes to this. i just need more clarification on what to do?

dont just tell me to turn off progressive player when i already did that trick and followed your blog and every threads on here.

read my pm????

thannxx

I'm not trying to make you feel dumb, but if that's what you did. Then I don't really have any answers for you at the moment. A lot of HDTV displays today are still giving the deaf consumers a great deal of problems when it come to captioning. I suggest you call the TV and DVD player manufacturers' technical services and they may be able to give you an answer. There's different solutions and it varies among the models.

I know you're frustrated, but there's not much I can do about it. Sorry.

what about the s-video cable?

Types of cables has nothing to do with CC signals. However, it is possible that the component input on your TV may not offer the option to enable the use of CC. So you could try S-Video instead.

but you still watch in non-progessive scan, if it is progessive scan then won't work, plus it's not HDTV problem.
First of all, who says it's HDTV problem? Second, I am talking about component/HDMI cable that be using between HDTV/360/Bluray/HDDVD/HD digital cable with DIGITAL CC. It works on my brand new sony 60inch HDTV but it won't work on my dell 24inch HDTV and samsung 23inch HDTV.

P.S. who gives a fuck about non-progessive scan and progessive scan. No one wants to watch 480i or 480p, damn. I rather to watch either 1080i and 1080p formats.

Types of cables has nothing to do with CC signals. However, it is possible that the component input on your TV may not offer the option to enable the use of CC. So you could try S-Video instead.
Yes it does, using component or HDMI cable, you wont able to get CC signals unless some tvs have build in "Advance CC" its for digital CC. For example, I have two composite (video 1 ) and component cables (video 2) at same time for HD digital cable and tested it with ESPNHD (College football game). With composite, there is CC signal but ok picture and then I switch Video 1 to Video 2 and then no CC but incredible picture and 1080i format. But in order to get digital CC is disable original CC and enable advance CC and there is a CC.

Yes it does, using component or HDMI cable, you wont able to get CC signals unless some tvs have build in "Advance CC" its for digital CC. For example, I have two composite (video 1 ) and component cables (video 2) at same time for HD digital cable and tested it with ESPNHD (College football game). With composite, there is CC signal but ok picture and then I switch Video 1 to Video 2 and then no CC but incredible picture and 1080i format. But in order to get digital CC is disable original CC and enable advance CC and there is a CC.

The cables itself has absolutely nothing to do with the CC signals. But it is the VIDEO INPUT that may be the source of the problem. Please read carefully next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back